Author Topic: hello - just doing some research.. - now have a trailer.. :D  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
hello all,

new to this place, just using it for some research and info gathering for a family lap of western oz in 2013.. (all on tar, not really interested in the crazy dirt stuff!)

trying to work out what is a comfortable towable weight for our 2.5l petrol subaru outback, which is the $$$ question,

get an onroad/soft road trailer ~700kg loaded and happily tow it with what we have, or upgrade the car and get a more off road trailer?

anyone have a new model subaru outback diesel? any opinions on its towing ability? how does the fuel use dip with a load on the back? vs a bigger car? say a new pajero 3.2l diesel platinum and an off road CT on the back, something that a test drive just can't help experience :( this car needs to do school runs and soccer mum activities over the week, in inner metro Melbourne, so needs to be sensible :(

for trailers, we were drawn to the onroad cameron camper at the recent Melbourne camper show, we went back three times after comparing it to others, it really stood out, BUT.. where does the $33k go? yes the tent top is fantastic, but drop 10k in spend and a lot of trailers offer almost the same functions? its also not MELBOURNE local, so any issues means a long drive to Adelaide, (without a dealer/support network? which is a downside.)

complete campsite - but would need a bigger car :(

the outback camper newell onroad of strut off road would surly do the job??, and (being from Melbourne) are local for any work that needs to be done, but are they a compromise? not for the big trip, but in 2-3 years time when its 3 weeks at a camp site over Christmas with bigger children???? father has a strut but uses a much bigger car to pull it..

this place seems to rave about the Tambo, and we will go visit them in the coming weeks, but this is getting a bit to off road and too heavy for the current car? so we are back to upgrading the car to match the trailer, and it just goes round and round in circles :D

also play with that ham radio stuff - vk3bq and work in telecommunications engineering, so will chime in with any help I can offer on the communications and electronics front.:D

*proposed trip - will be clockwise and the aim is to take masters 2 and 4 diving with whale sharks next season (MAY) in exmouth.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:53:37 PM by Vk3bq »
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --
http://www.vk3bq.com/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: hello - just doing some research..
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »
Hey Vk3bq, welcome to myswag. Given you have 2 tin lids on board and you'll be packed to the rafters I'd suggest looking seriously at the Pajero. You will very soon run out of towing and carrying capacity in an Outback. The Paj Platinum is a ripper deal at the moment and will serve you well.

As far as camper is concerned, if you're looking local the checkout the Tambo. They are not far from you and there are a few doing laps at the moment.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »
Welcome to My Swag Vk3bq. I agree with D4D you will quickly run out of towing capacity and you may only want to tow on the black stuff at the moment but that can quickly change when you see some of the places you are missing out on IMHO you should go for the Pajero and a good offroad camper ( i love spending other peoples money  ;D) :cheers:

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
hello - just doing some research..
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
Thanks for spending my money!! 

I've done the dirt stuff. And not sure the family would be interested. We can get to a lot of places without something bigger.

It needs to be a soccer mum car. Wifey* does not want a truck. So we might be stuck with a Subaru . And It won't be my choice.

which puts the options at (or other things to consider - i suspect)

ford territory diesel - would you buy a car from a company about to go belly up?
toyota kluger petrol (uses too much fuel) if only they made a diesel one (no one would buy a prado)
nissan pathfinder - looks really old and dated
VW tiguan - small, but will pull 2000kg in diesel form.
the outback diesel

Thanks
Andrew.

*term of endearment.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:28:49 AM by Vk3bq »
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --

Offline white Knuckles

• Tent User
hello - just doing some research..
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »
We have a prado and my wife prefers driving it compared to the smaller cars we have had, a test drive will solve all
2010 GXL Prado and old Jayco OB Hawk

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
G'day Andrew

To MySwag.
An awesome trip you have planned, I'm sure you will find all the info you need here, and if you don't know just ask as you just have  ;D
Happy & Safe travels, keep us all update as you travel, with pictures of cause  ;D
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
which puts the options at (or other things to consider - i suspect)

ford territory diesel - would you buy a car from a company about to go belly up?
toyota kluger petrol - if only they made a diesel one
nissan pathfinder - looks really old and dated
VW tiguan - small, but will pull 2000kg in diesel form.
the outback diesel

Andrew,

test drive a Ssangyong Kyron SUV, it's the same size and capacity as the Tiguan
but about half the price ;D

http://www.ssangyong.com.au/Kyron-Turbo-Diesel-SUV-Specifications.asp?active_page_id=204

2,300Kg Towing capacity (braked) 
   750Kg Towing capacity (unbraked)
   230Kg Tow ball download

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Kruger runs at about 13L/100km towing a 1.5 tonne camper.i thought that mileage was pretty good ;D

Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Hilly77

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
We have a Forester diesel and tow a jayco hawk. Only had the hawk for a week so i cant really help with figures for the economy though it was a 200 km trip home with it an it pulled it no worries and while it used more fuel than normal it wasn't too bad!

Offline chrisroche

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
gday

We have just got a pathfinder and to  lifestyle.  you cant go past Tambo.  In terms of WA, we did a trip with a 4 and 2 yo some years ago from Broome to Perth.  Must see's

- coral bay
- Ningaloo
- monkey mia
...your so close to Darwin, dont miss it.
Are we there yet?

2011 Pathfinder...Lifestyle Camper

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
Hi Vk3bq and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Welcome on board I have a Subaru Outback H6, and I tow a cavalier camper off-road, the H6 pulls the trailer no problems, I’m getting about 12 L / 100 Km towing. Tow rating on my bar is 1440 kg, trailer is about 700 kg loaded. The only thing that stop me is water, The Subaru has 40mm king spring lift and upgraded Boge Struts. Sump and gearbox guard fitted to under side.  It’s a capable and comfortable setup. The vehicle has been to Cape York via the Bamaga bypass road, along the beach south from Somerset, I have driven through Lakefield National Park and across to Bathurst heads. I travel with my wife as the kids are grown up and have left home, we usually pack or clothes in the back seats and have the Camp fridge in the back cargo area along with spare battery and a box or two of food. The trailer carries all the camping gear, because you are traveling with children you could put a roof rack and basket up top, the bars will handle 50Kg so I’m told. Enjoy the Subaru I think you can’t beat them. I only brought the OKA so I can cross water.

regards,  Chris.
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
thanks all, lots to consider.  will continue to search and ask questions as they arise.

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »
well, it didn't take long, we found what we were after for a decent price, and now have a trailer, (that the current car tows comfortably) now..

A second hand, but in good condition, and well looked after Outback camper Newell (onroad), this is the 2005 model, and has the wooden kitchen, we are the 3rd owner.

we prefer the wooden kitchen (as apposed to the checker plate one on the newer model), its got more storage, and we almost ordered this on a new one. lots of extras, which makes the starting point easier, (it really is ready to go).

now to head bush with the family.. winter in victoria :) sounds like fun!..

gc5598815421588946907 by asphotos, on Flickr

gc4968682923972238621 by asphotos, on Flickr

gc5123870047778521757 by asphotos, on Flickr

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
An Outback towing an Outback :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: hello - just doing some research.. - now have a trailer.. :D
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
Nice. That canvas take up some real estate.

Have fun in her.

Cheers Nomad.
 :cheers:

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
nomad, only if its all added on and the like, for a big lap, it won't all be taken, just the main tent and the awing (and kitchen wall) i suspect**,  all that stuff will be perfect for 2 weeks at xmas in 1 spot :)..  thank goodness for zips and velcro! :D

**im NOT the boss, so I'm sure ill get outvoted.. :D

d4d, yes, outback outback combo.. soon to be diesel outback outback combo.. (didn't win the bigger car discussion either).

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Hey Vk3bq, welcome to myswag. Given you have 2 tin lids on board and you'll be packed to the rafters I'd suggest looking seriously at the Pajero. You will very soon run out of towing and carrying capacity in an Outback. The Paj Platinum is a ripper deal at the moment and will serve you well.

As far as camper is concerned, if you're looking local the checkout the Tambo. They are not far from you and there are a few doing laps at the moment.

Welcome and x2
Have a look at Aussie Jays and not expensive
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
That's a good buy. I had an Outback camper, they have excellent canvas.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
hello - just doing some research.. - now have a trailer.. :D
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
Silly CT's. Just cost me a diesel prado. :)). Won't have to worry about the tow car now!!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »
Silly CT's. Just cost me a diesel prado. :)). Won't have to worry about the tow car now!!
So the outback couldn't tow the outback....???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
hello - just doing some research.. - now have a trailer.. :D
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Outback towed the outback fine. To Echuca. But I wasn't keen on it doing 15000km lap. Went looking at options. Found a good deal on 150 series prado. Wifey has new soccer mum truck now.