Author Topic: The Random Question of the Day Thread...  (Read 319518 times)

JimS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: The Random Question of the Day Thread...
« Reply #850 on: March 24, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
You can already claim a tax deduction for genuine home office expenses, so I think this will be a given.  You should be able to claim a portion of your power, internet, water, mobile phone, etc as I understand it.
For most people it works out better to claim the government's set rate for home office expenses, which allows for all of the above.
Even when claiming "professional office cleaning" my actual home office expenses come short of the set rate.

Might be different if your an employee and the company doesn't supply all consumables (computers, monitors, paper, printer, printer ink, etc), like mine does.

Offline Daz100

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Yeah... Why Not
« Reply #851 on: March 24, 2020, 08:53:40 AM »
i worked from home for about 10 years.

i claimed electricty based on a % of work space ( example - my home office area was approx 15% of overall house/office floor space), so claim 15% of my elec bill.

phone / internet - applied a % base for use

i think this is a fair way to look at it

cheers Daz

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #852 on: March 24, 2020, 08:55:06 AM »
No one can avoid that, to some it just comes a little earlier than others. I am not concerned by Corona but I am concerned by what it is doing to our economy based around the current rates of infections and rate of deaths the measures in place seem more harmful than the virus itself.
Maybe I’m just a dumb son of a bitch but I don’t get it.

I dont know your age but I,ll hazard a guess and say that you are not in the over 60 age bracket that will be most prone to the likelihood of a death from the virus.  Not concerned?  Your worried about the economic situation and think that the measures in place are more harmful than death.  Your right Pottsy...you just dont get it!!  These measures brought in by local councils, state govts and federal govts , who are acting under the best information available, do not want a recession or millions out of work. They dont have a choice..Everyone in Oz and around the world will be affected.  During the two world wars Aussies pulled together and we survived as a country...seems to me that this latest national/international disaster is showing just how selfish and self minded many are.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #853 on: March 24, 2020, 08:59:36 AM »
Careful getting too excited claiming WFH expenses. I believe if you claim things like rent for floor space etc, and if you own your house, you're up for capital gains tax on the claimed area of your house if you sell.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #854 on: March 24, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
So bloke here at work - his family flew out for the F1.... they are still here
They are now stranded due to nobody leaving etc to go to UK...

So who pays for accommodation etc? Its not their fault.
If this lasts months - who the hell could afford 200+ a night for 2-3 months ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #855 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »

If this lasts months - who the hell could afford 200+ a night for 2-3 months ???

There will be many in the same sort of nightmare situation.. I can only hope Centrelink/charity has some form of assistance...Mind you...they cant be too poorly off if they flew here to watch a car race.. ???
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #856 on: March 24, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
There will be many in the same sort of nightmare situation.. I can only hope Centrelink/charity has some form of assistance...Mind you...they cant be too poorly off if they flew here to watch a car race.. ???
Wasnt just for the F1, was to visit him and see a bit of AU.. which didnt happen.. they were supposed to go to BNE to stay with other family, but got told dont come near us...
 and was their first holiday in 20yrs...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #857 on: March 24, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »
Wasnt just for the F1, was to visit him and see a bit of AU.. which didnt happen.. they were supposed to go to BNE to stay with other family, but got told dont come near us...
 and was their first holiday in 20yrs...

Thats a shame.  Maybe a caravan park van or cabin....hopefully at decent rates.  Even if its in some country town out the boondocks..Just have to remember though...there are now millions facing a dim future.. (not that is any consolation..) 

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #858 on: March 24, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »
i worked from home for about 10 years.

i claimed electricty based on a % of work space ( example - my home office area was approx 15% of overall house/office floor space), so claim 15% of my elec bill.

phone / internet - applied a % base for use

i think this is a fair way to look at it

cheers Daz

Rules have changed a bit since then Daz, not so lucrative anymore.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #859 on: March 24, 2020, 11:57:06 AM »
Rules have changed a bit since then Daz, not so lucrative anymore.
And today you can easy claim a $1,500 deduction without even getting creative.....  >:D

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #860 on: March 24, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
I dont know your age but I,ll hazard a guess and say that you are not in the over 60 age bracket that will be most prone to the likelihood of a death from the virus.  Not concerned?  Your worried about the economic situation and think that the measures in place are more harmful than death.  Your right Pottsy...you just dont get it!!  These measures brought in by local councils, state govts and federal govts , who are acting under the best information available, do not want a recession or millions out of work. They dont have a choice..Everyone in Oz and around the world will be affected.  During the two world wars Aussies pulled together and we survived as a country...seems to me that this latest national/international disaster is showing just how selfish and self minded many are.
Sorry Bigfish you guessed wrong, we are both in the susceptible age group and both have underlying conditions which make us susceptible. We have not panicked as we are always careful and hygienic as we have the need to visit medical facilities on average twice a week, every week.. yes govts needed to act, but more importantly the general populace needed to heed the message and not panic buy, practice social distancing and self isolation where necessary. If the population had done this, if our borders had closed to overseas travellers etc we may and it’s a big maybe we might well have gotten this thing under control with less effect on the economy and livelihood of millions.
Time will tell, hopefully everyone now heeds the warnings and does the right thing and as you said pulls together to get thru this.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

CTL

« Reply #861 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
Random question.  If we all go into lock down next week or the week after, are the councils/governments going to fix all the potholes in the roads when there is little or no vehicles out there?  Or will they wait until we are all free and start fixing them during the first week’s peak hour?

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #862 on: March 24, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »
Random question.  If we all go into lock down next week or the week after, are the councils/governments going to fix all the potholes in the roads when there is little or no vehicles out there?  Or will they wait until we are all free and start fixing them during the first week’s peak hour?

In the FNQ they wait until the wet season and cant fix them because its too wet....

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #863 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
Looking for tips on basketball backboards as I need to keep my son outside and entertained during this time off school. I just fell off my chair when I looked at the price. It is going to be mounted flat on a brick wall.

https://www.rebelsport.com.au/p/spalding-44-acrylic-backboard-and-bracket-combo-520997.html?cgid=REB010302#start=1

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #864 on: March 25, 2020, 05:30:00 PM »
Looking for tips on basketball backboards as I need to keep my son outside and entertained during this time off school. I just fell off my chair when I looked at the price. It is going to be mounted flat on a brick wall.

https://www.rebelsport.com.au/p/spalding-44-acrylic-backboard-and-bracket-combo-520997.html?cgid=REB010302#start=1
Just be aware that slam dunking can pull back board off the brick wall with catastrophic consequences.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #865 on: March 25, 2020, 05:34:29 PM »
Quote from: D4D

We paid that for a whole Salazenger style stand and backboard setup 2yrs ago.
Ebay...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #866 on: March 25, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
Just be aware that slam dunking can pull back board off the brick wall with catastrophic consequences.

Yup, well aware of that.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #867 on: March 25, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »

I've got 1 on my garage that you can have
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #868 on: March 25, 2020, 08:04:27 PM »

2 neighbouring houses around the corner from us solved that one.

They got two of the potable stands & duct taped them to two light poles, so the kids can play in the (very quiet!) street, with a basket at each end of a pretty realistic sized "court" :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #869 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »

That sounds like its their choice to stay in Australia.
Qantas are still running direct flights to the UK from here in Perth. One flew out last night.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #870 on: March 26, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »
That sounds like its their choice to stay in Australia.
Qantas are still running direct flights to the UK from here in Perth. One flew out last night.
Not their choice.. also they are in Melbourne at moment. I've sent the Qantas info to Dave to see what htey can find out.

edit: from Dave
her last hope from melbourne is the original return flight on the 31st with BA
it supposed to go MEL > SYD > Singapore > London > SPAIN

**** knows why you would fly back into Spain at the moment but they reckon the'll be safe coz the house is on a hill side and all the neighbour houses are emoty at the moment
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:07:47 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #871 on: March 27, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »

Mate in our day you got a bit of paint out and the brick wall then was the backboard....... You are spoiling this kid ;D
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #872 on: March 27, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
Not their choice.. also they are in Melbourne at moment. I've sent the Qantas info to Dave to see what htey can find out.

edit: from Dave
her last hope from melbourne is the original return flight on the 31st with BA
it supposed to go MEL > SYD > Singapore > London > SPAIN

**** knows why you would fly back into Spain at the moment but they reckon the'll be safe coz the house is on a hill side and all the neighbour houses are emoty at the moment

I,d be looking for all the duty free disinfectant I could find.  Hope it all works out for them...they,d be stressed to the max..

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #873 on: March 30, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
I would like to know where all these many billions Gov Co are all of a sudden throwing around everywhere like Mr Bubbles with boiled lollies is coming from...
Yet few months ago they were broke..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #874 on: March 30, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »
I would like to know where all these many billions Gov Co are all of a sudden throwing around everywhere like Mr Bubbles with boiled lollies is coming from...
Yet few months ago they were broke..
I’d say some was destined as surplus money and a fair percentage is borrowed.

No doubt this will be seen as a mistake and ridiculous by some, with their own agenda blinding them to real life.

What do you expect the government to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk