Author Topic: Wash up from the recent GVM operation in Vic.  (Read 10614 times)

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Wash up from the recent GVM operation in Vic.
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »
Plagiarised from elsewhere......... ;D

this is the report for a Police Operation in Victoria recently, as well as the report from "Caravanners Forum, from the Police officer who initiated it

http://rveethereyet.com/

Hi
Sorry for the delay in getting this done. I was landed with another operation to put together last week and I have only just got it finished now.

Ok here we go...

Firstly, keep in mind this is just a snap shot in time. Any figures I give should not be taken as scientifically analysed in anyway. Just raw data collected from those that were weighed or spoken to over the 2 days.
Next, the actual going out and weighing of vans was carried out to try and alter the perception (well founded) that police do not target caravans for compliance. That perception was to be altered by allowing various members of social media forums, FaceBook groups, written magazines, radio and so on to witness the activity first hand and report on it. The object being to spread the word as far as possible that the chances of being weighed have now increased. This was then going to drive conversations and discussion across social media to encourage more caravan users to think about their situation and start to make some changes. Hopefully, they themselves would then help and encourage new entrants into the market to consider weights and safety BEFORE buying their van, not after and realising they had stuffed up!
There is so much anecdotal evidence from forums like this one about all these big overweight vans tracking up and down the highwways. i wanted to test that evidence and get some real facts. I also wanted to get an idea of how much your average caravaner knows and understands about ratings and weights
The operation was setup to coincide with a very busy period of traffic passing through the East Gippsland town of Newmerella near Orbost. Caravns were to be brought in at random to be inspected and weighed. Some did come down voluntarily afetr hearing about it on socila media.

So some basic data...

Of the approx 80+ caravans that passed through the site 71 caravans were weighed. Only 1 motorhome surprisingly.

All were asked several questions

1. Do you actually know what your ratings are?
2. Have you ever weighed your rig?
3. Do you know what you weigh right now?
3. Can you provide an estimate of what you think you weigh right now?
4. Do you know where your compliance plate is?

Only 2 drivers knew all their ratings
Only 3 drivers had ever weighed their rigs
Only 3 drivers knew what they weighed at that moment.
ALL (except the 3 above) underestimated their weights as at that moment.
All knew where the compliance plate was. 2 didnt have one attached.

Caravans were then weighed by my friends from Vic Roads. This was done by way of portable scales. All fully tested and certified.

GTM was measured hitched up.

Caravan was unhitched.

Ball weight was measured and ATM calculated.

These were then compared to plated ratings for the caravan and tow bar.

41 caravans were overweight in 1 or more category.

Most were within 10% of plated ratings.

5 were 20% over their plated ratings.

ATM was the most common issue, followed by actual ball weight and then tow bar capacity.

Highest over rating on ATM was 2880kg on a plated ATM of 2600.

Most over rating on ball download was 400kg on max of 280kg

Most over on Tow bar loading was 400kg on max of 300kg

Most ATM offences were in the 1500kg to 2500kg size vans. Camper trailers were the worst offender. Loaded with bikes, kayaks, generators, tool boxes etc. Most of these had max ATM around 1650 and were consistently 100+kg over. These were also being towed by the smallest cars, many of them sedans that did not have the capacity to tow those weights. These were generally families of 4 or 5 and the car was also loaded up to max.
We did not have the time to weigh tow vehicles. However, those that were obviously an issue were given further advice. Overloaded tow vehicles are not included in the 41 offenders. If they had been I estimate at least another 15 or more offences against GVM and GCM would have been recorded.
Several with tinnies on the roof were weighed and none were significantly over on van weight. GVM/GM may have been an issue.

Most notable tow vehicle offence was an older model Colorado towing a 5 wheeler. The 5er went to 3.5t. The rear axle on the colly went 2.1t. We did not unhitch. The Colly also had boxes of tools, fuel and a generator in the back. They were full timers on the road and we had quite along chat.

Where possible, I had a look inside those vans that were overweight. The common issue here was that if you had placed items on the floor, under beds, on chairs and so on, then the van was overweight. If everything fitted into a proper cupboard and was not loose somewhere in the van, they were generally less likely to be overweight. One customer who was 350kg over weight plead innocence as to how he could possibly be overweight. The i opened his door and the first item at the door was an old steel 4 burner BBQ. 4 bikes to add to the 2 on the back, tents, swags, inflatable boats and lots of bags of clothes. He estimated he had 350kg in his van. He had close to 700kg. (if Tare was right)

Almost all were very surprised at what they actually weighed. Some just did not believe the scales.
Some of those using WDH believed that they allowed them to load more than ATM into the van because it would be transferred to the car via the hitch.
One person calculated what his payload could be by loading his van to ATM, then adding on what he measured his ball weight as becayse that came off the ATM when hitched. So ATM 3500, load to 3850 because the 350kg was going on the tow ball and viola, back down to rated ATM. That was another long chat.
Only one driver said his partner ever drove whilst towing.

Of most concern was that most drivers had little idea of what they actually weighed. The fact we only had 41 offenders I think was more by luck than any sort of planning by the driver.
A number of those passing through were given some help in re organising their payload distribution to bring them closer to ratings.
All drivers were given a handout produced by Colin Young from the Caravan Council of Australia. This explained each of the ratings and how to weigh the rig at a weighbridge. We tried to keep the information simple to avoid info overload. Just concentrating on the van helped and when I experimented with talking tug weights, eyes would glass over and I lost them, so that was avoided.

2 tickets were given for inadequate mirrors. 1 Van. there were tickets for unregistered, unlicensed and unroadworthy issues too. 1 failed drug test but no drink drivers from over 1700 tests.
The Sheriff had a massive couple of days executing over 600 warrants and collecting or arranging payments in excess of $200,000. None from caravaners.

The conversations had with drivers, co drivers and family were far more valuable than the weight data collected. It gave an insight into how the average man thinks and what he understands about weights and safety. All expressed a desire to be compliant.
Most knew where to find the information they needed, but unfortunately complacency was apparent. The social media campaign was paramount in making this operation successful. Attending on the day was Marty (Darcy7) from this forum and who has his own successful blog, rveethereyet.com. He was also representing the Everything Caravan and Camping FaceBook group which has in excess of 120,000 members. Also present was Banjo (Denis) and Derek representing the Australian Caravan Club. These 3 gentlemen were tasked with speaking with as many drivers as possible about the benefits of being a member of a club, forum or facebook group. It is without doubt a given that being an active (even if silent) member of a club, you will most certainly be exposed to more relevant information relating to safety then those that go it alone.
We also had a correspondent from Caravan and Motor Home on Tour. Gary Moreland, who arrived on a very nice Indian motorbike, has a back ground in heavy haulage and is a great advocate for the Chain of Responsibility and the impact that legislation had on the truck industry. He has some excellent opinions on where we should be pushing the industry.

Various stories were circulated onto social media in the weeks leading up to the operation. This was done through Marty on his site and we then spread that link across as many other sites as possible. (Thanks Motherhen and others)
The responses to these posts was nothing short of amazing. 100,000's of hit on each article released. Of note was that many of those reading the articles on various sites went on to click other tags that led them to caravan specific safety articles. Motherhen had upwards of 50,000 views on her various platforms.
Police media released their article on the morning of the operation. In the next 2 days, it was viewed over 52,000 times and over 400 comments left, mostly positive. New pictures were uploaded to police media during the 2 days and these continued to boost hits.
Marty also posted several photographs and some text to the Everything Caravan and Camping FaceBook page throughout the first day. these again were viewed over 50,000 times. I also did 3 ABC Radio spots, 2 recorded and 1 live from the site. Local media also attended.
Since the operation, I have only really monitored FaceBook and Marty's site to see how the operation was received. Of note again was the number of spin off threads started by those wanting more information about weights and mirrors. Both myself, Marty and Matt Sutton who runs the Facebook group, pushed conversations along and encouraged the talk about how and where to find information. No end of vans were suddenly popping up in photographs being weighed and all the usual talk about mirrors was still going today.
Marty and Matt posted pics of them weighing their rigs. They had over 270,000 views, 100'2 of comments, like and shares. We also this week posted a comprehensive searchable list of weighbridges available across the country. It had been viewed and downloaded over 3000 times so far.
I have either written or been interviewed by several other big caravan publications, and had calls from TV shows and other interested stakeholders from around the country. So more publicity is still to come.
In essence, we have reached many 100,000's of people genuinely interested in being safe. And all we did was talk to around 80 people towing a van and post some pics of it happening. The power of social media meant we could reach so many more people than we could ever dream of talking to face to face. To see so many now on social media giving advice about weight and safety and have it discussed and taken into account by new buyers and current owners either upgrading or making alterations to their rigs is very satisfying. This will no doubt save some from having the crash they were going to have.

Where to from here?

It is apparent that there is a knowledge gap amongst caravan users. This will be addressed with more of the same. More weighing, more social media. Caravaners seem to have a thirst for information and appear very receptive of advice.
We are exploring how we can get this information into the hands of new buyers in particular. This will need collaboration with manufacturers and dealers to make weight as important as how many solar panels can go on the roof. Looking at maybe some sort of basic hand out package that can be discussed whilst talking about what to buy and then at handover.
Continued focus on education for a further period of time. This will eventually have to go into enforcement but there are a whole load of issues that would need to be ironed out before that happens.
Vic Roads have signposted a change in direction and are now happy to collaborate in helping to educate caravan users. this is a change and and a fair commitment from Vic Roads as obviously a large proportion of their time is taken with the heavy vehicle industry.
Looking at how to get some sort of (compulsory) tow ed course built into the sale of new caravans. I know some have already tried but the cost seems to be an issue, so that needs to be explored.
That course could lead to maybe a licence endorsement of some sort. However, this is a huge can of worms and has no end of pitfalls and considerations to overcome, but maybe it is time to have a proper look.
Work with manufacturers in relation to Tare weights being correctly plated. This did come up in conversations. Some had looked at the plate, estimated what the payload sort of was and believed they may be close to allowable ATM. I had to agree with some of them that it was fairly obvious the Tare was wrong from day 1 out of the dealers.

So there we have it so far. Quite a lot of good data and information was gathered and is being used to help further the cause with lots more to come.

A big thanks to Marty, Banjo, Derek and Motherhen for all the assistance they gave me. Could not have done it without your help.
The chats Marty and Banjo had with my bosses at the site have opened their eyes to the issues and I now have some heavy hitters backing further initiatives. Always good to get the opinions of the civilian population into a bosses ear. They will tell it like it is.

Myself and Vic Roads are heading to Mallacoota in March for a few days and will be weighing all the ACC members attending the East Gippsland Muster.
If you got this far... thanks for reading

Graeme

makes for some interesting reading, as well as thought provoking
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:08:21 AM by doc evil »
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....
The following users thanked this post: MDS69, Green rv

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Wash up from the recent GVM operation in Vic.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »
Many steps in the right direction there.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
Yes indeed :cup:

The bit I was impressed with was:

Work with manufacturers in relation to Tare weights being correctly plated. This did come up in conversations. Some had looked at the plate, estimated what the payload sort of was and believed they may be close to allowable ATM. I had to agree with some of them that it was fairly obvious the Tare was wrong from day 1 out of the dealers

Did this come from a cop / "Main Roads" bloke?
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

Did this come from a cop / "Main Roads" bloke?

Graeme Shenton is the Acting Sergeant at Orbost Police, an avid caravvaner.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »
Where to from here?

It is apparent that there is a knowledge gap amongst caravan users. This will be addressed with more of the same. More weighing, more social media. Caravaners seem to have a thirst for information and appear very receptive of advice.
We are exploring how we can get this information into the hands of new buyers in particular. This will need collaboration with manufacturers and dealers to make weight as important as how many solar panels can go on the roof. Looking at maybe some sort of basic hand out package that can be discussed whilst talking about what to buy and then at handover.
Continued focus on education for a further period of time. This will eventually have to go into enforcement but there are a whole load of issues that would need to be ironed out before that happens.

In the UK, the norm is for every review in a caravan magazine to look at what could tow that caravan, and in the case of towcar reviews what the car could tow. Often there is a list in the back of the magazine with the cars available new on the market and what their tow limits are (nose, GCM, Tare, and 85% weight) to really help people identify the best option. They work on an 85% guidance ratio, so the ATM weight of the caravan is ideally not more than 85% of the tare weight of the towcar - now this might work well with lightweight vans, but doesn't work as well with some of the bigger European vans; I think my parents Volvo XC70 and 5.3m Fendt combination came in at about a 90% ratio.

Vic Roads have signposted a change in direction and are now happy to collaborate in helping to educate caravan users. this is a change and and a fair commitment from Vic Roads as obviously a large proportion of their time is taken with the heavy vehicle industry.
Looking at how to get some sort of (compulsory) tow ed course built into the sale of new caravans. I know some have already tried but the cost seems to be an issue, so that needs to be explored.
That course could lead to maybe a licence endorsement of some sort. However, this is a huge can of worms and has no end of pitfalls and considerations to overcome, but maybe it is time to have a proper look.
I'm with some elements of the haulage industry, there does need to be some training given to people who want to tow... However, what it should not be is overly burdensome or expensive, otherwise it stops people from doing it.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
Quote from: Paddler Ed
However, what it should not be is overly burdensome or expensive, otherwise it stops people from doing it.

100k car + 60k caravan, $2k training course shouldn't be an issue to ensure you and others are safe.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »
100k car + 60k caravan, $2k training course shouldn't be an issue to ensure you and others are safe.

But what happens to the person in their 20's or 30's who wants to tow a trailer? Caravans, campers, horse floats, boat trailers would all be affected... Or are we just saying that old people need the training?

$2k is 2/3 of what my car cost, it's 100% what my trailer cost, nearly 100% of my canvas... This is the mess that the UK B+E licence requirement has caused, and has rapidly slowed the number of caravans being bought.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Quote from: Paddler Ed
But what happens to the person in their 20's or 30's who wants to tow a trailer?

They do the training.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Gonna cost a whole lot more when it all goes pear shaped

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »
You set the cost at 2k and it'll stop everything.
You have to allow for people below the poverty line who've had their van/trailer for years.  Or had it passed on/down to them.
Otherwise they'll just ignore everybody, and do it anyway.
And what sort of ongoing review are you going to put in place, to make sure the education stuck?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
A caravan handling / towing course is about $600 for two people for one day http://www.tow-ed.com.au/    and https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/products-and-services/driving-courses/caravan-and-trailer-towing
NRMA and the other states would have them too .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm not sure that a course will stop people from overloading their van or trailer?

It is food for thought I will be looking at my compliance plate when I get home and double check my weights..

Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
You set the cost at 2k and it'll stop everything.
2k is just a number out of anus, but wouldn't surprise me.

Otherwise they'll just ignore everybody, and do it anyway.
they will anyway...

And what sort of ongoing review are you going to put in place, to make sure the education stuck?
same as a car license.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
Training is great, but for me it’s about getting access to scales to find out the actual weight of my car/camper when fully loaded. Even if I only do this once, then I know real weights instead of guessing like I currently do.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
Training is great, but for me it’s about getting access to scales to find out the actual weight of my car/camper when fully loaded. Even if I only do this once, then I know real weights instead of guessing like I currently do.
plenty open on weekends

http://www.publicweighbridge.com.au/?page_id=13
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
20 years ago now the rule on B+E driving licences were introduced in the UK; as someone who was affected by it this meant I couldn't tow a trailer greater than 750kg unless the combination did not exceed 3500kg, and the trailer was not heavier than the vehicle towing it. Basically, this meant I couldn't tow some of the trailers I worked with, nor could I tow my parents caravan. I can tow however with L plates on, and with someone who has that endorsement on their licence - in some cases, someone who has never had any training, just got their licence before the 1st January 1997...

The knock on this is there is a problem with getting those in their 30's and under into caravan and camping holidays, and as there are a number of caravan manufacturers in the UK (there isn't the same Chinese import situation yet) this has a potential knock on on the employment in manufacturing - what has been happening is a period of innovation where caravans have got lighter in part to match the rules.

$2k would basically put it out of reach of many people - have a look at how much a MR licence costs to get, and that's probably going to be a similar cost to a trailer licensing scheme.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »
Everyone needs to drop the $2k is too expensive thing. Bird just pulled that figure from where the sun don't shine.
Edz posted a link, and the actual cost is around $600.

It's obvious there are a lot of people towing heavy vans who haven't a clue what they are doing.
Surely some requirement for training and/or testing is a sensible idea?
We require people to pass written and practical tests before we let them loose on public roads in a motor vehicle. It seems pretty reasonable to me to require people to demonstrate they can safely tow before we let them loose with a 2 or 3 tonne van hanging off the rear of their vehicle.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Are many forgetting that once it was a seperate licence class for a Manual vehicle if you tested in an Auto?

What's wrong with a trailer component?

How about making it part of the licensing process to start with? Many a young person gets a licence and then tows a trailer soon after... I know I was towing car trailers with race cars on them from 16 1/2..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
Well said Merts..

And let's all remember this.. driving is not a right, it's a privilege... pass a competency, pay your fee and off you go...

I like the German licence system - very expensive to get your licence so many are more respectful of having it.. lose it and it becomes a financial hiding to get it back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
Quote from: tombie
Are many forgetting that once it was a seperate licence class for a Manual vehicle if you tested in an Auto?
still is down here.

Quote from: Merts
It's obvious there are a lot of people towing heavy vans who haven't a clue what they are doing.
Surely some requirement for training and/or testing is a sensible idea?
We require people to pass written and practical tests before we let them loose on public roads in a motor vehicle. It seems pretty reasonable to me to require people to demonstrate they can safely tow before we let them loose with a 2 or 3 tonne van hanging off the rear of their vehicle.
we have a winner... I guess some that are against it must be worried they may not pass it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »
The main issue is alot of vans dont have the correct weight on the compliance plate and they also weigh them with half the items not in the van.

The purchaser thinks the compliance plate is correct when it isn't yet nothing is done about this. Self regulation in the caravan industry is the biggest issue.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
The main issue is alot of vans dont have the correct weight on the compliance plate and they also weigh them with half the items not in the van.

The purchaser thinks the compliance plate is correct when it isn't yet nothing is done about this. Self regulation in the caravan industry is the biggest issue.

:cup: Correct, and I think it is primarily a lot of vans/CT's  made by only a few manufacturers!
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:20 PM »
Do you think a towing course will correct this?  I mean everybody who obtains a driving license has to do 120hrs with all these things checked off.  I don't see current crop of drivers being any better for it.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline burks

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
I don't see current crop of drivers being any better for it.

The current crop of driving instructors certain are  ;)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »

Mark

Yep maybe a bit of simple education and the make all campers have to have a current weighbridge certificate? Then there can be no excuse for being over. The bit of education shouldn't cost a lot. Maybe a sine written test and endorsement from the rms or whoever . And weighbridge ticket is like $30
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim