Author Topic: Staying under the GVM  (Read 13661 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Staying under the GVM
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
There's no way the coupling of that 5th wheeler is in front of the rear axle which makes it a pig trailer or borderline at best.
I've had this conversation with horse people who run twin cabs and 5th's.
It's not a Colorado either. DMax?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:13:08 AM by GBC »

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »
I was just going on what was mentioned in the other thread re a big 5th wheeler & assumed it was the same one? :-[
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
Then you got Maces' ol mate, wish I still had my old photos :(
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=26576.0

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
Yeah its not the same vehicle, but similar set up.  At least me old mate had taken the rear seat out and was running as a two seater.  The spree he had/has is a little smaller than the one shown pulled up at Newmeralla.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Yeah its not the same vehicle, but similar set up.  At least me old mate had taken the rear seat out and was running as a two seater.  The spree he had/has is a little smaller than the one shown pulled up at Newmeralla.
I think those photos I had of him on east link he had a new tug, but I cant remember what - Dmax?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
Not sure if it was the same set up?
2009 Coromal 452

Offline peter_mcc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »
Where is this one, pete??
Local for me is Artarmon but I'm pretty sure they all do it. The in/out scales don't match and they change in 20kg increments. The North Ryde one also weighs in/out - I'm pretty sure they all would.

I'm not sure how you'd go trying to take a huge van in there but a camper trailer should be ok.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 02:31:02 AM »
Maybe camper/caravan manufacturers need to supply an "as sold" weighbridge ticket when it goes to get rego ie. with all options added included fluids. I reckon that would ruffle a few feathers....

What is the point of having a tare weight that doesn't include full water tanks?
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
Maybe camper/caravan manufacturers need to supply an "as sold" weighbridge ticket when it goes to get rego ie. with all options added included fluids. I reckon that would ruffle a few feathers....

What is the point of having a tare weight that doesn't include full water tanks?
agree on all 3 points

Ticket - Check
Feathers - check

Like the bloke that bought that Tvan and was 80kg more on the ball than he was told and over his weight limit empty years back who got his money back
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »

Make the dealers do it and let them sort it out with the manufacturer. Maybe a requirement too for any new or 2nd hand purchase? Weighbridge cert to be supplied with transfer papers?  That would ruffle even more feathers...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Great idea! :cup:

Got to have a RWC when selling a car, so why not a weighbridge ticket for selling a CT / van ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
Great idea! :cup:

Got to have a RWC when selling a car, so why not a weighbridge ticket for selling a CT / van ??? >:D
what about the same for vehicles then? How does anyone know what the starting weight of their vehicle is when the buy it new or even secondhand with it's extras fitted. Why does a RWC not need the vehicle weighed to know not only is it under the legal weight, but under the axle load weights also?...those after market add on's start to add up if enough get put on the vehicle.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
I was being a little facetious regarding 2nd hand stuff. Probably would be a bit nightmareish trying to implement. As the law is now that responsibility lies with the owner.  At least with the weights being fully accurate from the factory, the owner has a known starting point.

Offline BDR

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
If I am over in my truck I will go a row of Shithouses.......in the Patrol nothing :o

Honestly as some one who spends a lot of time driving around the joint in a truck, this sort of thing should have been done years ago, apart from the no fines ;)

Offline rseydler

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »
When you register a boat trailer you need a weigh bridge certificate. Are you guys saying you don't need one for a van?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
When you register a boat trailer you need a weigh bridge certificate. Are you guys saying you don't need one for a van?
didn't need one when I first rego'ed my camper trailer... just turned up, she didn't even know what it was 'oh looks good, never seen one'....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 08:44:48 PM »
In vic any new trailer  (any type) needs a weighbridge cert for first time rego.
Pre 1989 stuff is different. We registered  an old caravan about 7 years ago. Hadn't been registered since 1988.
Lady at the vicroads desk asked what the ATM was. I shrugged my shoulders and said the axle was rated to 1400kg. She typed that into the system. Then asked the tare. "Dunno I said. Maybe 900kg? Typed that into the system and handed me a rego sticker and number plate.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
In vic with mine being a new trailer they took the weights off the compliance plate. No weighbridge socket needed. They did get out the tape measure and measure length and width.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
In vic with mine being a new trailer they took the weights off the compliance plate. No weighbridge socket needed. They did get out the tape measure and measure length and width.

That has been my experience there, but the last time was in 2011. Have things changed?
2009 Coromal 452

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
2013 for me. It would seem to be duplicating itself if they want a weighbridge docket to show what the compliance plate has. (Yes I know the irony of what I wrote)
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »

In vic any new trailer  (any type) needs a weighbridge cert for first time rego.

I should rephrase that. Self built trailers require a weighbridge cert.
A mates built 4 trailers and needed a cert everytime. Along with receipts for all materials and capacities of axles, springs brakes etc. 3 of the trailers have been over 2 ton which requires a test of the breakway system. Never been tested for this once.

As trailer / caravan manufacturers carefully weigh each build, Vicroads obviously take their word...

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Staying under the GVM
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
Home built trailers need a weigh bridge cert for first rego in NSW as well. For trailers under 750kg gmv you don't need a weigh bridge cert to transfer trailer rego in QLD.

Before I built mine I went in and spoke with the girls at Mario trailers in Sydney. I wanted a few custom options (shorter drawbar, slightly narrower width, eye to eye springs, etc), the response was if I couldn't get what I wanted in any of their standard models or standard options they wouldn't make it.
I would guess most manufacturers are the same as Mario, they have a list of models and all specs and weights have been checked and approved by transport departments. You just order the model you want, they stamp that name on the plate and the transport guys are happy.
Now the issues with gmv on a lot of local and imported trailers these days will come down to the extras or options. It would be safe to say the manufacturer has registered their models as the bare bones box and axle. Tool boxes, water tanks, kitchen, tent/canvas, bed, drawers, etc will all be eating into your payload. That's why you're getting your trailer home and realizing you only have a couple of hundred kilos to play with.
The manufacturer has just made it as easy as possible for them to register their product.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:47:19 AM by Pete79 »