Author Topic: VeeDub solves the dirty diesel problem  (Read 15945 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
VeeDub solves the dirty diesel problem
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »
With a novel approach-
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/der_smogglewagen/
Who needs all those DPF deletes, chip mods, catch cans, EGR mods, etc when just the right app will do?
Unfortunately they've been hacked and are currently discussing this minor glitch with Ashley Madison directors   >:D
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
Re: VeeDub solves the dirty diesel problem
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:26:28 AM »
Don't solve the problem, go around it......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
Don't solve the problem, go around it......

And risk an $18 billion US fine in the process!  :'(

Very disappointing really,

Das Auto,
Das cheats!
Former TOPNDR.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
Knowing that they strive for technical execelence at everything they do, Maybe, just maybe they came to the conclusion that the limitations and targets to cut pollutants put on them were impractical to  meet and still have  usable engines ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
Knowing that they strive for technical execelence at everything they do, Maybe, just maybe they came to the conclusion that the limitations and targets to cut pollutants put on them were impractical to  meet and still have  usable engines ..

That's the only conclusion you can come to with the helluva commercial risk they were taking here. All to avoid the added cost of Adblue additive to aid catalysing NOx emissions for new diesel owners I suspect-
http://www.shell.com.au/products-services/on-the-road/fuels/adblue.html
Added to EGR, DPF problems, etc you have to suspect the writing is on the wall for domestic diesel use now and Subaru are first cab off the rank telling it like it is to potential owners-

http://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/benefits-of-a-diesel-engine

The money quote-
"So again it is clear that a diesel engine vehicle requires a driving style and method of use that is only suitable for longer distances and higher loads!  If this is your particular method of use and you travel high kilometres then a diesel engine vehicle is particularly suitable due to the fuel efficiency and environmental performance.  But if you normally travel short distances then a petrol engine is a better choice."

Or if mum's using it as a shopping trolley how often should you have the vac bag up the exhaust cleaned from $450 plus freight both ways after you've had it removed for cleaning?
http://www.overlandmechanicalservices.com.au/diesel_particulate_filter_cleaning?gclid=CJq6qdC7gsgCFUGUvQodbfYOHQ
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »
How could a firm like VW possibly believe they wouldn't be found out eventually and at what cost?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vw-scandal-how-four-students-uncovered-volkswagens-diesel-dodge/story-fni0fiyv-1227542286720
As a new car buyer you have to be really circumspect about buying any diesel now after that gobsmacking revelation.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 06:37:03 AM »
& l said to Fritz over a few  :cheers: " Vot could possibly go wrong  ??? ???"         >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
They reckon it could bankrupt the company !!   Even though the president that just resigned gets a 67 million dollar handshake ??

If you've got a VW that needs warranty work ( which ones don't ).....get in quick !!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
This mob " They Reckon " seem well informed .l would do a runner if the package was something like that . Even a bit less would do  :cheers:

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
didn't I read somewhere that "Mr 4x4" himself (Pat Callinan) had switched from Nissan to VW?

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Peter8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
Without the engine issue, what of the wheels? I am still in utter disbelief that a mate pulled into my driveway with a top model Touareg (now he calls it ToeRag) and a leaking tyre. Builders nail in it so we go looking for the spare.
A FRIKKING POP UP SPACE SAVER!!!!  >:D >:D

Not just a space saver on a teeny rim, but it comes with a VW pump (hope it didn't pollute my air) that is needed to expand and pump the tyre up before using at low speed for short distance.
OMG.

Go out to your spare tyre today, check it is real, check the pressure, and hug it.

The following users thanked this post: Whitty

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
didn't I read somewhere that "Mr 4x4" himself (Pat Callinan) had switched from Nissan to VW?
Yep !! some multy year deal to promote them... ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
Hope he got paid up front    >:D  & not $ as you  go cause their Gone ,,,,,,,, :cheers:

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

time

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
Without the engine issue, what of the wheels? I am still in utter disbelief that a mate pulled into my driveway with a top model Touareg (now he calls it ToeRag) and a leaking tyre. Builders nail in it so we go looking for the spare.
A FRIKKING POP UP SPACE SAVER!!!!  >:D >:D

...and when you change the tyre where do you put the full size flat one.  My Mrs Commodore came with the option of a can of foam and a tyre pump, a space saver or a full size alloy and tyre, we got the full size alloy for $0, they stuffed up the lease quote :)

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
I'm stunned they're still advertising. There's no way I'd part with cash for a VW until this fiasco is resolved.  Even once it is, the stench might never go away.
Former TOPNDR.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
........ the stench might never go away.

Time cures all.....they got over the connection with the Third Reich....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
Realy we all break the rules seperating our rubbish, we buy cheaper fuel because it's cheaper not more efficient.... VW is being made out to be a leach on society and the banks ect never get called up.
Good on them for having a go ,bad on them for not taking pollution seriously but at least they will still keep running a car industry into the future and keeping tens of
Thousands of people in work without a lifetime of govt handouts and make quality cars unlike ford and holden that are going to just rebadge Shit from Shit companies like opel voxel and suspect American gm models.
If you condemned VW  for this you should a burned your holden when they sold you out on economics 

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 12:20:04 AM »
Well dales, most affected owners probably won't be too concerned their VW diesel performs better than it would if it had to comply with the relevant jurisdictional NOx emission standards. Now presumably for many EU countries and US states like California that meant Adblue additive which keeps the catalytic converter to control NOx emissions clean and doing its mandated job. I was chatting to a diesel mech at the cara park and he mentioned Adblue is $1.65/L here but I forgot to ask how much diesels fitted with it consume. Anyone know as with DPF and EGR/inlet manifold clogging costs, the benefits of diesels are rapidly deteriorating for new purchasers now.

In that regard I heard an analyst on radio today saying he thought this VW scam situation had illuminated the problem of 'peak diesel' for all makers now. In Oz with around 50,000 of these cars already lawyers Maurice Blackburn have mooted a class action by consumers and the ACCC are rumbling too. He pointed out that Europe had encouraged diesels and as such European manufacturers were heavily invested in diesels whereas US in particular was more heavily invested in electric and hybrid cars. Thinking about that I'd conclude the US makers would have a strong incentive to back US EPA fines and restitution by a maker like VW in order to really strangle a global competitor, as if the regulators and greenies will need any encouragement here.

In that sense you can see that while most owners might be comfortable with their cheat cars, the regualtory authorities will demand they be brought up to standards and if that means performance suffers and/or suddenly owners are having to cop Adblue additive and they sense resale/trade-in prices will suffer then they'll naturally demand compensation from VW on top of the fines. All in all it's a disaster not just for VW owners directly affected but diesels altogether. That's where I think 'peak diesel' is a very apt descriptor here.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 06:04:24 AM »
None of this hoo-haa with a TD42T.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
An Olde but A Goodie              :cup:                 :cheers:

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 09:13:42 AM »
but at least they will still keep running a car industry into the future and keeping tens of
Thousands of people in work

If I was one of those tens of thousands, right about now I'd be worried !!   ??? ???
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »
True.
But they will come out of this ok,its such an iconic brand

KingBilly

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Rumours on social media that BMW may have done something similar  >:D