Author Topic: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.  (Read 221451 times)

Offline b1

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Working and Traveling Australia, Our Journey.
« Reply #500 on: December 31, 2016, 06:30:28 PM »
who's the furball driving ?
The first 50 years of my childhood have been the hardest

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #501 on: December 31, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »

He is my spotter.  ;D

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #502 on: December 31, 2016, 06:40:26 PM »
King Billy Cokebottle ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #503 on: January 01, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
With a break in the rain I took the trusty company quad for a spin to the flood plains. There is alot of water out there.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #504 on: January 01, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »
He is my spotter.  ;D

Is that a type of Pointer, Mark?  ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #505 on: January 01, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
Is that a type of Pointer, Mark?  ;D

He sits on my lap while I am  driving and looks out the window

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #506 on: January 01, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »
Well hasn't time flown. We have been working and traveling for 2 years this month.

So what prompted our decision to pack up, leave Cairns and travel. Reading a number of blogs over time, sick of working long hours in realestate and not getting any younger we decided to just do it. So we packed what we needed into the car and camper and with our little dog, Bisket, we headed off.

We had a job lined up roughly 2500 Kim's away in Ernabella in SA. A Remote indigenous community where we were to work as trainee managers. Our accomodation was in a 20ft shipping container. Well after 6 weeks and being mislead we quit and ended up getting a job in Warburton WA. We stayed there for 11 months before heading to the Kimberley working at Mt Barnett Roadhouse.

After 2 months we were offered jobs to manage a remote community store in Peppimenarti NT. We have been here for just over 6 months and enjoy it immensely.

We have been to places such as Kalgoorlie, Uluru 3 times and even got married there, Alice Springs 3 times, crossed the Kimberly twice, Broome , Derby, Darwin and every where in between.

We have had some stressful times but mostly we have enjoyed our adventures, meeting some great people, seeing some spectacular sights and experiencing lifestyles we never thought we would see.

Our 2000 model cruiser has not let us down. Apart from a broken radiator bracket held on by cable ties and a new starter motor it has handled all the rough roads we have traveled. The cruiser is set up with a draw system in the rear to carry parts , tools, electrical parts such as fuses, wire etc, we have a built in compressor in the rear also, led driving lights for night driving, uhf radio, dual batteries for the 2 fridges we carry, rear airbags, roof rack and good tyres. You don't need to go over the top with gear as most places we travel to are remote with no mechanic. Get used to having dust and dirt in your car and bush pin stripes on your duco.

The camper carries a generator, camping chairs, weber BBQ, storage boxes, jerry cans and other bits and pieces.

So what have we learnt in the 2 years.

Carry only the basics in clothing and other gear. We buy what we need in electrical appliances and leave them behind when we move on. All our personal papers are scanned and uploaded on Dropbox and retrieved if needed. Make friends with the local  nurses as you never know when you need them. Make sure all insurance policies for the car and camper cover remote travel. Have a dedicated address for mail. (We use Penny's parents address). Get used to being isolated, we subscribe to NETFLIX, STAN and Google Movies for entertainment. Have a hobby, I enjoy doing up gardens where ever we stay. eBay is your friend. Explore your surroundings, if your in an indigenous community get permission if required. Boredom can set in so learn to cope with it. Your phone takes some great photos, we have a good digital still camera we have rarely used. Adapt to your accomodation, we have lived in a shipping container, 2 bedroom duplex, the camper and currently in a 3 bedroom house.

The benefits of doing what we do, have been;
experiencing places you would rarely see, meeting some great people, exploring remote areas, witnessing traditional ceremonies and enjoying a lifestyle you would never have dreamed of having.

The downside is missing family but internet, social media, Skype and phone calls help alleviate that plus long holidays.

So how do we get our jobs. The best place we found is Gumtree and there are plenty of jobs out there. Something you should take into consideration is that you may work for some, let me say it nicely, interesting people.

So do we regret doing it......NEVER 😀, is it for everyone, no.
The hardest thing is taking the first step. Save some money and go.
We should have done this years ago.

Watch the you tube clip in high def.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTakcmm3H-Y

Mark

The following users thanked this post: Blueboy, rossm, wakychapmans, Freeride

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #507 on: January 01, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
Thanks Mark. Kay and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

:cheers:
Geoff
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #508 on: January 01, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
Wow!! Doesn't the time fly, it only seems like last month when you announced your plans.
I have enjoyed following your exploits & thank you for the effort in pictures & commentry.
I could only dream of such an adventure & wish you continued success & prosperity in 2017.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #509 on: January 01, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »
Thanks Mark

I have been following your adventures with only a bit of jealousy  :laugh:

I look forward to spending some time with you in the Kimberly next year  :cheers:

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #510 on: January 01, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
Great stuff, as long as your enjoying your selves that is the most important thing. Oh happy new year to.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #511 on: January 01, 2017, 07:08:42 PM »
Good on you for doing it. I've only just moved back to the pilbara last year after 4 years in Perth. I've spent the majority of my working life living in the Pilbara and I love the place, just a shame more people are not willing to move out of the city and live a different life - but its definatly not for everyone.

Offline Bongo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #512 on: January 01, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
Hi Mark,

I have been following your adventures over time. I have a wonderful light bar that I use when bad planning or circumstances arises. After a mishap with a roo we try to avoid driving at night. I actually purchased 2; one for he Hilux and now have one on the Troopy.

We know some folks out your way. Terry is one but I hear a lot of the young folks have moved on.

Cheers,

Tom.

Cheers,

Tom.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #513 on: January 01, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
Hi Mark,

I have been following your adventures over time. I have a wonderful light bar that I use when bad planning or circumstances arises. After a mishap with a roo we try to avoid driving at night. I actually purchased 2; one for he Hilux and now have one on the Troopy.

We know some folks out your way. Terry is one but I hear a lot of the young folks have moved on.

Cheers,

Tom.

Yes we have seen a change in the local non indigenous workers here. A lot of new faces.

Mark

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #514 on: January 03, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »
Decided to check out the flooded areas around the area here.

And oops

One phone call and I was pulled out.

Always like to have fun....

Mark

Offline McGirr01

• Tent User
« Reply #515 on: January 18, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
Fishing trip no 22

We decided to spend Sunday driving out to a popular fishing spot called Sandy Creek. Its about an hours drive from Peppimenarti on the main rd heading to Daly River.

The amount of rain we have had has turned the road into a rutted water filled track. Washouts everywhere and as the land is so flat water just sits in large pools and creates small waterfalls on the side of the road.

We arrived at sandi creek and started fishing for barra. After an hour or so we were not having much luck but a local ended up catching a barra. There was another small crossing we backtracked to and tried our luck there. First 2 casts missed 2 hookups.

The frustration watching barra chase your lure then miss it. A man can only take so much rejection.

So with no barra and plenty of hits we headed home to some crumbed fish already defrosting.

Barra 0   Lost Lures 4

Mark

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #516 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
Hahaha, I'm sure by time you get back, your fishing will have improved...... :cup:
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
Good onya Mark, have enjoyed keeping up with your travels so far,,,,,,,,, tell ya, that little cause way and creek does look like it would hold some Barra......... I'd be exploring that bugger a little further..... ;D

Happy Travels.
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #518 on: January 28, 2017, 02:12:03 AM »
Amazing pics of the mini waterfalls, the amount of water there must be mind boggling...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #519 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
Mark,
Anybody you know involved in the vehicle wash away near pepperminati?
Never good news, but 15 in a troopie.
Reported on ABC News today 28/1/17.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:20:10 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
Mark,
Anybody you know involved in the vehicle wash away near pepperminati?
Never good news, but 15 in a troopie.
Reported on ABC News today 28/1/17.

Yes a very sad day. People from Wadaye travel to have a drink at the club here at Peppimenarti. Unfortunatly 3 people drowned as they attempted to cross the Moyle River. The water was flowing across the causeway. We have heard numerous reports and will wait till I here what really happened. The vehicle was washed 60mtrs down the river.

There was not 20 people in the car, which was reported in the news. I spoke to our Govt liaison officer this morning and he was a little shaken up as the people who passed away were very nice and I had also met them in the shop numerous times. The liaison officer said there were bodies hanging out of the car.

We supplied drinks and food to the police who attended. Unfortunatly people take risks and crossing swollen river and creeks and this time the consequences were 3 deaths.

The water police flew in on choppers today to retrieve the bodies. Some community members rushed to the scene last night when it was reported but it was too dark to see anything.

Xmas eve 2015 another person drowned trying to cross a swollen river after Traveling from Wadaye to here to have a few drinks at the club.

I expect some changes to occur regarding traveling from Wadaye to the club here in the future, especially during the wet season.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-28/bodies-of-three-drowned-recovered-from-nt-floodwaters/8219924

Mark

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:40:07 PM by McGirr »

KingBilly

« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
From the myswag community to the Wadaye community, our heartfelt condolences.  A very sad time for everybody involved.

KB
The following users thanked this post: V8ute, edz

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #522 on: January 28, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
From the myswag community to the Wadaye community, our heartfelt condolences.  A very sad time for everybody involved.

KB

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »

KB

Nicely put KB.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #524 on: January 28, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »

KB

Thanks Mate.

Mark