Author Topic: Isuzu mu-x  (Read 142333 times)

Offline Ironman 4x4

• Swag User
    • Ironman 4x4
Re: Isuzu mu-x
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »
Yep, waiting for a phone call to organise with them.  I presume it will be done in Dandenong

Cool mate,

Let me know if you run into any issues or have any queries along the way. I'm here to help.

Regards,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Offline g77

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »

Cool mate,

Let me know if you run into any issues or have any queries along the way. I'm here to help.

Regards,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Quick Q Matt
The roof top basket. Is it available in Oz, how is it mounted and of course load ratings.
Car looks pretty much the one I'm getting done now but the roof carrier is sticking point...
Cheers mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ironman 4x4

• Swag User
    • Ironman 4x4
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
Quick Q Matt
The roof top basket. Is it available in Oz, how is it mounted and of course load ratings.
Car looks pretty much the one I'm getting done now but the roof carrier is sticking point...
Cheers mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey g77,

Yes the roof basket is available in Australia, its our standard 1.8m steel rack. But the problem is (as pointed out already) we don't have any mounting feet to attach the rack to the car.

The vehicle in the picture has had the rack attached to cross bars (which we don't sell) and/or modified custom feet. We are working on producing our own mounting system for the MU-X, but at the moment we don't have anything to offer.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Offline Ironman 4x4

• Swag User
    • Ironman 4x4
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
Here is a pic of our Protector bar on a white MU-X. It's a great mix of bling an strength and the chrome tube really matches the chrome on the grill:

Offline MarkandLea

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
Looks great IRONMAN 4X4.

Do you have a RRP for these?

Offline Ironman 4x4

• Swag User
    • Ironman 4x4
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »

Looks great IRONMAN 4X4.

Do you have a RRP for these?

$1485 plus fitting

Offline MarkandLea

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »
Thank you IRONMAN 4X4.

rsser

« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
How are the loop tubes fitted to the bumper Matt?

I've looked at a competitor's version where they're just bolted, not properly socketed.

Offline Ironman 4x4

• Swag User
    • Ironman 4x4
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »
How are the loop tubes fitted to the bumper Matt?

I've looked at a competitor's version where they're just bolted, not properly socketed.
Hey rsser on our protector bar they are bolted.

On our commercial and commercial deluxe they are welded.

Cheers

Matt

Offline ironcobra

• Swag User
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
Hi Matt (Ironman 4x4)

Any update on the availability of mounting feet for racks/basket? especially for the LS-U?

Cheers

Offline Ironman 4x4

• Swag User
    • Ironman 4x4
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »
Hey ironcobra,

We don't at the moment specify any mounting feet for the MU-X.

I can't remember if people have used our Colorado 7 feet, but I'm on holidays in Africa at the moment so can't ask anyone in the office (sorry).

I apologize to anyone trying to contact me on here, I'll be very delayed in replying until I return. On the 5th of January.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Offline Hotdognz

• Swag User
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
Only the MU-X with roof rails have fitting points and Yakima/Prorack have a roof rack kit ready to go, the one with out rails and has the channels in to roof will be very hard to get roof racks for as there is nothing for a roof rack to hold on too, also clamp mounts are out of the question due the shallow nature of the cant rail angle, I develop roof rack kits for a living and we have looked long and hard at the MU-X and D-Max vehicles and they are very hard to develop roof rack fitting kits for, hence why they have such low load ratings when they are released to market with clamp mounts.

KingBilly

« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2014, 08:20:17 AM »
Only the MU-X with roof rails have fitting points and Yakima/Prorack have a roof rack kit ready to go, the one with out rails and has the channels in to roof will be very hard to get roof racks for as there is nothing for a roof rack to hold on too, also clamp mounts are out of the question due the shallow nature of the cant rail angle, I develop roof rack kits for a living and we have looked long and hard at the MU-X and D-Max vehicles and they are very hard to develop roof rack fitting kits for, hence why they have such low load ratings when they are released to market with clamp mounts.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately your info above is incorrect.

I have roof racks rated at 100kg on my Dmax.

The factory roof rails on both the Dmax and the MUX have to mount to something.  Isuzu don't make one roof for those models without roof rails and a seperate roof for the higher spec model with roof rails.  That wouldn't be economical or practical.  Isuzu make one roof for all models.  And that roof has captive nuts to mount the roof rails too.  If your model does not have rails, the captive nuts are still there under the rubber strip on the roof.  All you need to do is cut the strip at the correct spot, dig out the silicon filler from the nut, and fit a mounting plate for your roof rails racks.

Super Cheap Auto sell Prorack bars which fit.

KB
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:26:38 AM by KingBilly »

Offline ironcobra

• Swag User
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
Hi KingBilly,

Do you happen to know the model # for the feet at Supercheap?

Hmmm, would also need to figure out where the points are before cutting... :/

KingBilly

« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »
Mate, am away from home for a few days.  I just looked in the Prorack book in Super Cheap.  461 or 463 or something.  Anyway just look in the book.  The current Dmax is listed.

The Proroack fitting instructions taht come with the mounting feet give you the exact measurements where the captive nuts are located under the rubber strip.

I can post them up in a couple of days time if you need them.

I carried a steel spare rim and tyre, 20l jerry of diesel and shovel for 8000kms and they didn't move over some very rough corrugated roads.

KB

Offline MattnLaurie

• Learning the Ropes
  • Aircraft UnBuggerer
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »
Not a lot probably, I doubt they'll sell more than a 100 MU-X in the first year. Toyota sell more Prado's than that in a month.

Funny, just announced they've done over 4000* to date......

And I'm one of those who couldn't find the extra >10k value in the Prado. Sure, there are a couple of bells and one or two whistles not there but hardy enough to justify the extra expense.

My biggest issue is finding the aftermarket items and they are coming online fast, it's more a case of waiting for what I want vs what I can afford!

* - Yasu Takeuchi, MD & CEO IUA. 
3/14 MU-X LST pulling an '03 TrackAbout Safari
Let's all set sail worth Captain Morgan......
Did I mention I'm a cheeky bugger?

Offline Greenfinger

• Learning the Ropes
    • My Photostream
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »
Rola Racks does a sports bar and a heavy duty bar that mounts to the fixed points in the roof channels, both are rated to 80kg and come with fitting instructions that give you precise measurements for locating the captive nuts.

From memory they give the option of cutting the rubber strip or lifting it and drilling a hole, I went with drilling the hole so if I want to remove the racks for any reason I can fit a nice dome headed screw to fill the holes.

The strips are a bit tricky to drill through neatly as they have a metal insert coated by the rubber, I lifted them in the area required and supported with two thin strips of wood then drilled the hole smaller than required and  finished it off with my dremal and a small grinding bit.

Pictures  of  the  bars and mounts as well as mounting instructions can be viewed on Rola's website, just go to the rack selector and fill in the fields.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Offline Hotdognz

• Swag User
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »
Firstly, welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately your info above is incorrect.

I have roof racks rated at 100kg on my Dmax.

The factory roof rails on both the Dmax and the MUX have to mount to something.  Isuzu don't make one roof for those models without roof rails and a seperate roof for the higher spec model with roof rails.  That wouldn't be economical or practical.  Isuzu make one roof for all models.  And that roof has captive nuts to mount the roof rails too.  If your model does not have rails, the captive nuts are still there under the rubber strip on the roof.  All you need to do is cut the strip at the correct spot, dig out the silicon filler from the nut, and fit a mounting plate for your roof rails racks.

Super Cheap Auto sell Prorack bars which fit.

KB

Thanks for the welcome Kingbilly

Actually my info is correct as I was talking about the MU-X not the D-Max LS-U which as you state has mounting points under the ditch mold which you need to cut and is the one you are using I'm assuming.

As for the MU-X LS-T with rails you are correct again and I also said the same, as you state there is a place to mount a roof rack as the rails have to have some where to mount and any mounting kit will use this area to to hold the roof racks.

Our investigations into the lower spec MU-X LS-M without rails and the deep channels that run up either side the roof, there is no available mounting points on the roof or under the ditch mold that we have been able to find or Isuzu can tell us about, happy to be proven wrong if some one wants to rip their ditch mold out and have a look, photos would be nice too. It appears Isuzu did make 2 roofs for the different spec MU-X's vehicles. You could always use K323 as a permanent mount but it requires drilling 8 holes in your roof and putting some pop rivets in to hold the small plates.

Cheers Stephen

Offline Hotdognz

• Swag User
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »
Hi KingBilly,

Do you happen to know the model # for the feet at Supercheap?

Hmmm, would also need to figure out where the points are before cutting... :/

If you want the Prorack/Whispbar fitting kit number for the D-Max its K671 and the instructions tell you where to cut the ditch mold.

Cheers Stephen

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
Funny, just announced they've done over 4000* to date......

Shipped to dealers and sold to customers are two completely different numbers...

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
Shipped to dealers and sold to customers are two completely different numbers...

2239 sold as of 9th july, 2014...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/295610/isuzu-d-max-mu-x-kicking-sales-goals-under-the-radar/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2014, 07:19:45 AM »

http://www.caradvice.com.au/295610/isuzu-d-max-mu-x-kicking-sales-goals-under-the-radar/

So they have approx. 12 months supply sitting at the dealers...Christmas special anyone...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

KingBilly

« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2014, 07:23:01 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Kingbilly

Actually my info is correct as I was talking about the MU-X not the D-Max LS-U which as you state has mounting points under the ditch mold which you need to cut and is the one you are using I'm assuming.

As for the MU-X LS-T with rails you are correct again and I also said the same, as you stateo there is a place to mount a roof rack as the rails have to have some where to mount and any mounting kit will use this area to to hold the roof racks.

Our investigations into the lower spec MU-X LS-M without rails and the deep channels that run up either side the roof, there is no available mounting points on the roof or under the ditch mold that we have been able to find or Isuzu can tell us about, happy to be proven wrong if some one wants to rip their ditch mold out and have a look, photos would be nice too. It appears Isuzu did make 2 roofs for the different spec MU-X's vehicles. You could always use K323 as a permanent mount but it requires drilling 8 holes in your roof and putting some pop rivets in to hold the small plates.

Cheers Stephen

Hey Steve, thanks for the follow up post. I forgot we were on the MUX thread.

I still don't understand how it would be either practical or economical for Isuzu to make two different roof shells for the two different models when every other body panel is shared between models.

On another forum there was a similar discussion and I was sure somebody had found the captive bolts on the lower spec models.  They were apparently well hidden but nontheless still there.  Would be good to get confirmation either way.

KB

KingBilly

« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »

Six month old sales figures. Pfffffttttt  ;D ;D ;D

Let's see what the end of year numbers are as this is the first year of sales for tte MUX.  Local dealer can't get enough to fill his sales orders.  Anyways, Australia is only a small market.  Have a look at how many Dmaxs are sold in Thailand compared to other makes.  If the MUX gains the same popularity it will be a winner for Isuzu  :cup:

KB

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2014, 07:32:14 AM »
Six month old sales figures. Pfffffttttt  ;D ;D ;D

Let's see what the end of year numbers are as this is the first year of sales for tte MUX.  Local dealer can't get enough to fill his sales orders.  Anyways, Australia is only a small market.  Have a look at how many Dmaxs are sold in Thailand compared to other makes.  If the MUX gains the same popularity it will be a winner for Isuzu  :cup:

KB

didn't say that they were good or bad figures, just trying to add a real number to the discussion.

it was the only one i could find with a short amount of digging.

sorry.