Author Topic: Phone for travelling -Motorola Defy  (Read 3940 times)

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
Phone for travelling -Motorola Defy
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:34:34 PM »
FYI,

Have just got a Motorola Defy, it's blue tick - waterproof/dustproof and has scratch proof touch screen and it's not as big as some.  It has as good coverage as what I was getting out the old Samsung A411 - it has net access (smartphone) etc all the things the new fangled phones have,  even I have been able to set it up without too much trouble.

Just in case anyone is looking to get a new phone - one to have a look at.

The only I can't get it to do is connect via bluetooth to my Mac - it pairs just won't actually connect??

cheers
Cheers Phil & Wendy
2013 Hilux D/C & 2013 Ultimate XTRK
Have fun, your here for a good time not a long time.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Phone for travelling -Motorola Defy
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:48:57 PM »
Its all very well to have the new wizz bang ipody calf blue tooth might be fun to play with at home . If you intend to go out there Sat phone will step up to the job . Use your new gismo tioll its out of range then switch to Sat to pick up the slack . Buy it , rent it but carry it , then you wont need it  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline james2115

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »
Yep - I have the same phone and it's quite tough.  Signal is good, connecting to laptop via WiFi is great, along with all the apps.  Can't complain at all.  Mines been soaked in a rain storm, dropped and it's kept in my pocket with my keys and not a scratch so far after almost 3 months.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
*Phone For Travelling*

Tongue and cheek.

I don't get why you would take good phone camping  ??? You only get a few kays out of a 'better set up' Verse a 'bad set up' Aerial included (maybe 5) I'm really not having a  go, I just don't get it.

http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Lemo79

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
I have an android phone, does come in handy for checking out the latest on myswag when out and about steveandviv.

Lemo.

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »
I didn't actually say camping - just for general travelling - and it's a little bit tougher than some others and yes I agree with sat phone and yes when you get off the blacktop all phones run out of service eventually.  I take my phone everywhere regardless these days and don't think people would do a trip and deliberately leave it at home, just cause we're camping (you can just turn it off when you get there) but you gotta get there and back again.  Had some tourists run out of fuel on the William Creek track sometime ago - they walked a few hours till they got service and rang for assistance !! Most also play music/take photos/video/street GPS etc these days.

And I actually get much better distance with a decent blue tick phone on telstra than most others who aren't blue tick and other providers - I currently get at least 20k ( and sometimes more) out around Coober (good for when on the XR tooling around) when others loose service as soon as they leave the town.  

cheers
Cheers Phil & Wendy

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »
No you didn't say camping - my bad...Fair what you say 100%
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »
It always amuses my that when on the wallaby as you come back into range of a town the phone wakes up with messages that suddenly have somewhere to go .So you pull up deal with them & on we go .In the "olden days " it was a reverce charge phone call once a week to tell if you were still alive . Told home of where you were & that your still kicking up dust somewhere  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »
No worries I agree to a point with both of you, before these things we didn't need them now we can't seem to live without them.  Lets not get too bad about it all otherwise we should all give up being on here so much - but I do hate email at work.
Cheers Phil & Wendy

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Yeh, if you want any chance of getting reception  "out of town"  then Telstra blue tick is the go....and the ability to plug an aerial in is a bonus......sometimes I've found the bull bar mounted aerial is the difference between making or not making a call.....but if far enough away from reception, it won't matter.......no signal means no signal !!!!!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
Hi all i have seen a u tube vid where a guy from a fishing thread has one of these turns on the video and throws it in the pool then fishes it our after running it along the bottom no scratches on the face and the damb thing still worked unbeleiveable ,its my next phone i rekon out in the boat if you hook it to your key float and it happens to fall overboard no worries
cheers crispy ;D

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »

Have just got a Motorola Defy, it's blue tick
cheers

Is this phone external aerial compatible 95cruza??