Author Topic: old shed questions  (Read 3210 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
old shed questions
« on: February 06, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »
hi all,

mum & dad have moved into a place in town and there is a reasonably good-sized shed in the backyard, that they want to utilise...

it's a combo timber/metal construction with colorbond walls...

what we would like to do is listed below:

• add some flashing (maybe?) to the outside, at the top of the walls to seal up the outside.
  • remove and replace old timber door and roller door (old windows in pics have already been replaced).
  • line the inside.

would like to be able to add some industrial-style shelving (near the roller door, removing the old shelving) so mum can store some stuff and for dad to have a small workspace (near the timber door).

it has some bracing bars (?) on some parts of the wall (running diagonally) from top to bottom...

thoughts appreciated on how to seal up the tops of the walls on the outside and possibly lining products on the inside (plywood, gyprock, etc)...

photos of the shed below:

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: old shed questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »
From the look of the 2nd pic, some soffits for the eaves would help.
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »
From the look of the 2nd pic, some soffits for the eaves would help.

so how would that attach to the colorbond?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
Quote from: paceman
wonder how effective that silver stuff is with keeping out the heat?? Might be an option for my shed to try and keep it from getting to 500 degrees... just not sure how to attach it to the roof/walls...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »
possibly run some ceiling battens under the rafters to attach the sheets to...hard to know without seeing exact hiegths of fascia hanging down if that’s possible though.  Sealing where th soffit sheets meet the wall sheets may be fun though, might have to scribe a soffit mould in
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
wonder how effective that silver stuff is with keeping out the heat?? Might be an option for my shed to try and keep it from getting to 500 degrees... just not sure how to attach it to the roof/walls...

most of the silver stuff is not in great condition, so it will be coming out...

we might put insulation in, just depends on what it costs...

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
If that's the case, get some Aircell insulation. I have it in both sheds and it is excellent. I put a pic of inside/outside temps on the forum a few years ago. I'll try and find them.
I also have it under the camper push out bed mattresses and it works a treat!
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »

Hard to tell from the pics, but assuming you use fibro, you might be able to have it slide in-between the rafters and the colourbond, it would then be easier to seal between the two.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 04:08:28 PM »

To seal the eaves lining up against the colourbond wall sheets you could get a custom fold Z flashing bent up with a return to the underside of eaves an again to the wall face.
Where the flashing returns onto the wall sheets you notch out to cover over each panel rib. You maybe able to hire a foot operated punch from a roofing place to notch out the flashing, it is what is used to notch out ridge capping on pan rib roofing,( otherwise wiss snips are your friend).
I have a profile punch stored away in a shed with a lot of my other plumbing gear back in NSW but a bit far from both you and me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:10:28 PM by rags »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »

To seal the eaves lining up against the colourbond wall sheets you could get a custom fold Z flashing bent up with a return to the underside of eaves an again to the wall face.
Where the flashing returns onto the wall sheets you notch out to cover over each panel rib. You maybe able to hire a foot operated punch from a roofing place to notch out the flashing, it is what is used to notch out ridge capping on pan rib roofing,( otherwise wiss snips are your friend).
I have a profile punch stored away in a shed with a lot of my other plumbing gear back in NSW but a bit far from both you and me.

Friend of mine in the roofing game mentioned that I could get some flashing bent up so it would run from the timber eaves and bend down in behind the colourblind wall...

Is that a similar idea to what you are suggesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »
Friend of mine in the roofing game mentioned that I could get some flashing bent up so it would run from the timber eaves and bend down in behind the colourblind wall...

Is that a similar idea to what you are suggesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a new job from scratch I would put a flashing on against the wall and underside of eaves similar to you describe.
As the wall sheets are fixed that method would be problematic and so I would suggest a similar flashing but one that sits under the eave folded 90 degrees to go down the front of roof sheet and returns back 90 degrees to the wall with that edge notched to fit over wall sheet ribs. On the 2 edges you get the flashing folded back to the underside 180 degrees to give the edges a bit of rigidity.

Flashing 21 in the link is similar in detail to that I describe but would be rotated 90degree clockwise and the edges folded over to the underside as described.
https://qldsheetmetal.com.au/product-range/flashings/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Search&scid=96398&cid=410481&tc=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWNmqwr9q6t9_iOGmlVArqJXxT_yQNuW9M7TaPGzF0WTqXY0LlO-onIaAnPlEALw_wcB&rl_key=ba113adc35897930a81d8b1ba66e2566&kw=1125796:2487&pub_cr_id=309634919931&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=qldsheetmetal.com.au&device=t&network=g&targetid=kwd-10842923116&loc_physical_ms=9068979&rl_track_landing_pages=1&rl_retarget=1
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:57:54 PM by rags »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »

If it was a new job from scratch I would put a flashing on against the wall and underside of eaves similar to you describe.
As the wall sheets are fixed that method would be problematic and so I would suggest a similar flashing but one that sits under the eave folded 90 degrees to go down the front of roof sheet and returns back 90 degrees to the wall with that edge notched to fit over wall sheet ribs. On the 2 edges you get the flashing folded back to the underside 180 degrees to give the edges a bit of rigidity.

Flashing 21 in the link is similar in detail to that I describe but would be rotated 90degree clockwise and the edges folded over to the underside as described.
https://qldsheetmetal.com.au/product-range/flashings/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Search&scid=96398&cid=410481&tc=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWNmqwr9q6t9_iOGmlVArqJXxT_yQNuW9M7TaPGzF0WTqXY0LlO-onIaAnPlEALw_wcB&rl_key=ba113adc35897930a81d8b1ba66e2566&kw=1125796:2487&pub_cr_id=309634919931&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=qldsheetmetal.com.au&device=t&network=g&targetid=kwd-10842923116&loc_physical_ms=9068979&rl_track_landing_pages=1&rl_retarget=1

Interesting, but I am having trouble visualising the concept...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
Interesting, but I am having trouble visualising the concept...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've drawn a sketch to illustrate the idea. See pics but you will need to rotate to view, don't know why they turn when attaching?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:42:51 PM by rags »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
They don't, you just nail the fibro up to the underside if the timber rafters and then nail a cover strip over that. Inside the cover strip you would run a foam trimdeck infill to finish the seal.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
I think plywood would be great lining. You can screw into it where ever you want to hang a hook etc and plasterboard will damage too easy.
With the gap at the top you could run the wall lining all the way up and notch around the roof bearers.
Otherwise some form of eave lining around the outside.

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 06:02:45 PM »
Don't fill in the eaves, this is letting out accumulated heat, as hot air rises, the open eaves would be doing a great job of getting rid of it, if you lived down south,  yes it would be a good idea, but not up here in Qld
Stay safe and play fair.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 07:46:26 PM »
chuck in a whirly bird, that will take heaps of heat out.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 06:25:39 AM »
Here is a suggestion from Facebook. Pretty sure I never searched any of the links in this thread or the other thread about shed insulation but Facebook still put it in. Scary stiff what happens in the background
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:30:53 AM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux.