Author Topic: 2012 st patrol info  (Read 4061 times)

Offline mr_hilux10

• Tent User
2012 st patrol info
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Hi all
just after some info (good& bad) about the 2012 st patrol 3ltr turbo diesel
looking up up grading the hilux and want an able tourer and tug for the jayco
Any info / tips/ advise would be appreciated
thanks

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: 2012 st patrol info
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Get a 4.2TD if you can.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
Check here    http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/    You should find every thing about them.
Cheers Dave

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
The latest a 4.2 came out was 2006 I think, the last of them. I saw a 05 model on carsales for about $54g. I'm sorry but those guys are just pulling their pud now. For $56 to $60, I'll take a y62 thank you very much.

Anyway, as dave said head over to P4x4 and you will find everything about them, my opinion is a 2012 GU will serve you well.

Good luck with the choice
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »

I have a 2011 patrol and love it.
The 2012 has ESC and rear diff lock standard.
And get the auto if you can
I've had a fair few 4x4s including a few utes and wagons and the patrol is definitely without a doubt the most capable 4x4 that I've had. The strength of these things is their biggest asset, just crawl underneath and see how much more beefy the drive train is than most other 4x4s available. It takes a fair bit to break one of these.
They've got tons of room inside to fit all your gear and every aftermarket part that you can think of to suit your own needs.
If you lock up the front diff, put in some lift and good tyres these things go everywhere.
The new CRD patrols don't have the grenade issues so don't be scared off by people saying they're going to blow up at any second.
They're not the most powerful thing around, but it gets the job done and They're not as refined onroad as other mid sized wagons as they're bigger, heavier and stronger so they're a bit more truck like, but its still comfortable enough to sit behind the wheel all day on big drives. I've done plenty of big trips and compared to my other utes I felt a million times better at the end of the day.
Any they look tough as!
These vehicles are more suited if you plan on doing heavy 4x4 on rough roads. If your only going to do the occasional offroad trip on the beach and easy/ moderate tracks and mostly onroad driving then get a mid size Prado, Pajero etc.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
The latest a 4.2 came out was 2006 I think, the last of them. I saw a 05 model on carsales for about $54g. I'm sorry but those guys are just pulling their pud now. For $56 to $60, I'll take a y62 thank you very much
I wouldn't :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline komaterpillar

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »

The latest a 4.2 came out was 2006 I think, the last of them. I saw a 05 model on carsales for about $54g. I'm sorry but those guys are just pulling their pud now. For $56 to $60, I'll take a y62 thank you very much.

I wouldn't :D

I would
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA  ;D

The British Tug

The Chinese Trailer

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:06 AM »
Well they are simply the toughest 4wd you can get IMO.

But, 118kw and 380nm with a four speed auto, lord give me strength. 

Have you given the petrol consideration - 185kw and 420nm.

By the time you factor in a chip, exhaust and EGT for the oiler AND the cheaper service for the petrol AND cheaper petrol purchase price the petrol kills the slug over the long haul.

Just get a BP card and never, ever, look at the statement.  Just pay it.

:)

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »
I have a 2011 patrol and love it.
The 2012 has ESC and rear diff lock standard.
And get the auto if you can
I've had a fair few 4x4s including a few utes and wagons and the patrol is definitely without a doubt the most capable 4x4 that I've had. The strength of these things is their biggest asset, just crawl underneath and see how much more beefy the drive train is than most other 4x4s available. It takes a fair bit to break one of these.
They've got tons of room inside to fit all your gear and every aftermarket part that you can think of to suit your own needs.
If you lock up the front diff, put in some lift and good tyres these things go everywhere.
The new CRD patrols don't have the grenade issues so don't be scared off by people saying they're going to blow up at any second.
They're not the most powerful thing around, but it gets the job done and They're not as refined onroad as other mid sized wagons as they're bigger, heavier and stronger so they're a bit more truck like, but its still comfortable enough to sit behind the wheel all day on big drives. I've done plenty of big trips and compared to my other utes I felt a million times better at the end of the day.
Any they look tough as!
These vehicles are more suited if you plan on doing heavy 4x4 on rough roads. If your only going to do the occasional offroad trip on the beach and easy/ moderate tracks and mostly onroad driving then get a mid size Prado, Pajero etc.

That is top advice.  Just imagine how good they would have been if the engine/gearbox were half decent.  What a weapon!

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »

Just get a BP card and never, ever, look at the statement.  Just pay it.

:)

Hahaha....love it...that's what I do with my CRD....fuel economy.....what fuel economy...

Swanny

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »
50% will say run a mile from the 3.0 diesel
50% will say they love them

I am in the latter. We have a 2003 3.0l and have had NO trouble with it. Like all vehicles there are some bad apples. Our ST has no issues towing our CT , and it has plenty of power to overtake if need be. Good maintenance, and sensible driving will see it serving you well !
Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:47:08 PM »
We had 2 Patrols and travelled about 300 000klm and never had a problem. Both 3lt. Looked after well and serviced you should have very enjoyable service.

Good luck.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
Like all vehicles there are some bad apples.

The 3L patrol particularly the early ones, along with the D4D Prados, have an unacceptably high failure rate.

Its not that there are a few bad apples.  There are lots that fail and they cost lots when they go!

There are things that can be done to both to reduce the danger but we do need to be honest about the issues facing both brands.

EDIT:  If yours did destroy itself I am pretty confident you would change camps pretty quick from lover to ex..... 

cheers

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
We have a 2013 which identical to the 2012.

Coming from a family that has owned more Patrols then any other make or model I am certainly biased that way for all the reasons mentioned above but not so biased that I don't like or would never own a Cruiser and have in the past.

Having grown up in SEQ and our 4wds living on Straddie, Moreton & Fraser the Patrol's definitely have demonstrated a rustproofing advantage over the Cruisers & Hiluxes we have owned.

Unique to the 2012/2013 is the introduction of the ABLS system & rear diff lock. I had issues with mine from new due to a faulty sensor so it wasn't functioning at all initially and made it look very average on a 4wding weekend in Newnes. With the sensor replaced I have been amazed at how capable it is even without the rear difflock engaged. I have had F&R difflocks before so I know what they are like and after the Vic High Country at Easter in the rain towing a camper I am no longer planning to fit a front locker.

Ours see very little daily use so it is fair to say it is >90% use towing the camper (Fully loaded KK) and since new averaging 15l/100km which I am pleased with as we seem to go over blue mountains for most camping trips.

Yes it could really do with some more grunt but once you know how to drive it the power & torque are adequate to hold >100km/h up hills on the highway etc and don't find it an issue at all. I recommend the manual as the 4sp Auto is pretty agricultural and if you are selecting your gears properly means you can maximise boost which is relies on for all its oomph.
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61
2015 Kimberley Karavan Eco Suite