Author Topic: Remote Control Cars  (Read 105868 times)

KingBilly

Re: Remote Control Cars
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
The Stampede can be set to learner mode which reduces the speed to 50%.  Still fast but not stupid fast.

KB

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
Went to check out the stampede at our local hobby shop - Hobbies in the Hills....

Ended up staying a couple of hours. Its awesome. Boy got to play with the slot cars, some small rock crawlers and even get a go at an R/C helicopter.

Stampede on order for xmas - Couldn't buy it with him there, but we did come away with a model to build and of course the R/C heli.......

$$$

Damn you to the camping hell of politicians and rain, myswag..........
I thought camping was supposed to be cheap!

Now for some fun.... (Oh and of course I ordered the car charger and spare battery because I will use it mostly when we're in the camper)

Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
The Stampede can be set to learner mode which reduces the speed to 50%.  Still fast but not stupid fast.

Yeah that's what sold me on it but even that is too fast for my son at the moment.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
That's some serious coin for a RC.

I'm looking for something much cheaper ($50-$100) for my 6 year old for xmas.

Any recommendations?

Might buy two, so then I won't have to 'borrow' his  ;D

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »

Any recommendations?

I also have 1 of these...................
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HSP-2-4ghz-RC-Car-1-10-4WD-Electric-Power-Dune-Sand-Rail-Buggy-94202-/400407452688?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item5d3a24dc10

Obviously not as good as the traxis, but for the money, they go fast and are pretty robust.
As always though anything from evilbay is a risk...........

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

KingBilly

« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »
Well my son (and I) ran the Stampede at half throttle on its first battery at home as we were told to run it in.  That done, took it camping and changed it to full throttle.  Holy cow, does it move.  Chucking roster tails across the grass and leaves, kicked some serious dust on the dirt.  Awesome fun.  But he hit a hole and blew the top of a rear shock.  Lost all the oil.  Fixed it (minus oil) and told him to take it easy.  I got chatting and next he is back saying he blew the top off a front shockie.  Lost all the oil again.  Oh well, that was the end of the fun for the weekend as it wasn't tracking very true with two opposing shockies with no oil.  Got home and gave it a good inspection and found he had also busted a front suspension arm.  Must have hit that hole pretty hard.  I'm yet to find out how much for the parts to fix it but he's paying.  Going to get a few free lawn mows me thinks  ;D ;D  plus he has now learnt a valuable lesson and will take it a bit easier on the rough stuff next time.

KB

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
Well my son (and I) ran the Stampede at half throttle on its first battery at home as we were told to run it in.  That done, took it camping and changed it to full throttle.  Holy cow, does it move.  Chucking roster tails across the grass and leaves, kicked some serious dust on the dirt.  Awesome fun.  But he hit a hole and blew the top of a rear shock.  Lost all the oil.  Fixed it (minus oil) and told him to take it easy.  I got chatting and next he is back saying he blew the top off a front shockie.  Lost all the oil again.  Oh well, that was the end of the fun for the weekend as it wasn't tracking very true with two opposing shockies with no oil.  Got home and gave it a good inspection and found he had also busted a front suspension arm.  Must have hit that hole pretty hard.  I'm yet to find out how much for the parts to fix it but he's paying.  Going to get a few free lawn mows me thinks  ;D ;D  plus he has now learnt a valuable lesson and will take it a bit easier on the rough stuff next time.

KB

I did the same thing to our stampede 4x4. blew the plastic top right off.
A cheap fix is to purchase some aluminium shock caps. Have not blown since i changed to the aluminium ones.
IMO the parts are fairly well priced on the internet but a bit over the top at our local hobby shop.

:cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

KingBilly

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
I did the same thing to our stampede 4x4. blew the plastic top right off.
A cheap fix is to purchase some aluminium shock caps. Have not blown since i changed to the aluminium ones.
IMO the parts are fairly well priced on the internet but a bit over the top at our local hobby shop.

Do you have a link for the aluminium caps?  Sorry I'm just being lazy.  Will goggle tomorrow.

KB

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »

Any recommendations?

I have been looking at the same things for my 6 year old. There's a big difference in ability (not necessarily quality) at around the $120 mark.

One I have found you can add Lipo battery and the speed jumps from 70 km to 110 km..........but does a 6 year old need that fast.........no....but I would like to give it a run on the tracks at Teewah at that speed..........and its easy to justify the battery upgrade because of the charge times.

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
I prefer to support local hobby shops when I can. but the prices they are charging for traxxas parts compared to what I can get them direct from the US online stores is ridiculous.

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2013, 05:49:31 AM »
I prefer to support local hobby shops when I can. but the prices they are charging for traxxas parts compared to what I can get them direct from the US online stores is ridiculous.

x2 but the wait is sometimes loooong
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline eman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »

Any recommendations?

The $50-$100 range will be what they class as the "toy" version, usually will find they cannot be rebuilt/upgraded/repaired easily

I bought the young bloke one of these a couple of years ago
http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_24_39&products_id=60313

Has gone through two motors ($15ea) and a receiver (transmitter/receiver combo $50) so far.

As the Stampede is too fast for my son, I was looking at one of these, any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171159398177

While at rchobbies buying a new receiver I ended up buying one of those, $45 and if it dies no big deal. Not quite as fast as the other truck but seems good value, has survived the punishment my boys gave it. Runtime isn't great but should get 15 minutes or so
http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_24_39&products_id=69479

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »

KB

I think for about 85 bucks you can get all alloy shocks for them. Can try alloy caps first but they still screw onto plastic shock body. See how caps go but might be something to think about...
Renno  :cheers:

KingBilly

« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
Thanks Renno.  Can get 4 caps for $12 so will give them a go first.

KB

KIMBOPRADO

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:37 PM »
Yep-caught the bug about 5 years ago and bought a traxxas bandit,back then lipo batteries were not a standard, running the heavy brick batteries, upgrade motor,big bore shocks,take it for a run CRASH, something breaks back to workshop to fix and upgrade,upgrade etc. dug it out of the cupboard....

online photo storage

Found this place not bad for parts etc

http://www.ultimatetoys.com.au/index.php

Hhmmmm- might have to investigate lipo / charger prices these days and get her out again!! ;D

Enjoy and let the kids have a go now and then

If your looking at a traxxas- go for the VXL models, the basic come with a Titan motor which after a while not good, the VXL come with a veilineon motor (lipo ready/brushless motor) sure pay more up front - but cheaper in the long run - I learn't the hard way
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:34:54 PM by KIMBOPRADO »

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »
Well, happy with the service that I got from them. They also chased down battery dimensions looking for additional batteries for the boys truck......even though it was not one of theirs and bought from someone else.

It seamed like no bull advice I got from them, even down the path of asking what I wanted to do with the truck and if there were any future mods planned so we could accomodate it now rather than spending the coin twice.

Based on the little dealing I have had, I could recomend this mob

Well the LiPo's and charger have arrived, all is sitting in the box.........waiting, waiting, waiting.

I have to wait till its the boys birthday and I give him his before I can play with mine.........8 days to go  :'(
Cheers, Craig

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
Just curious as to why most here are keen on electric cars? Do they perform better, cheaper, more reliable, than the gas cars?

Or is the less maintenance appealing?

Just curious, that's all.

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

KingBilly

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »
For me, less noise and less mucking around with fuel.  With the 12V charger we have power anywhere and I don't have to go to a shop to buy it.

KB
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:09:32 AM by KingBilly »

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
Just curious as to why most here are keen on electric cars? Do they perform better, cheaper, more reliable, than the gas cars?

Shane.

Hey there unless u are really into nitro and know what ur doing it is hard work to keep them in tune and they stall burn glow plugs etc can be hard to start. Brushless how ever u charge the battery and basically know the car will run. Also feul has oil in it gets spilt and everything gets sticky dirt sticks to it cant use them inside. Thats my reasons they do go faster too.

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »

Shane.

I'm a sparky and I like electric things :)
Cheers, Craig

Offline Red Dog 4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »

Shane.

with the technology now in new brushless motors and Lipo batteries the run times are getting better, to give you an idea my two rock crawlers have a run time of about 45min to 1 hour, on a 2200mh lipo ( One of them wheighs  10.4 kg ). I used to race the petrol/ nitro on road cars, and every time we used to race you would spend 30min just getting it to run for the conditions on the day.

The Rig- 97 GQ Coil Cab with lots of goodies
The Trailer- 2002 Castaway camper with lots of mods....
Quad Build -http://cfmoto-forum.com/cforce-500-h-o/cforce-550ho-from-australia/

Offline gnatsum69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »
anyone looking for something cheap but big this looks okay.  it by no means a losi xxl or lst2 but its also half the price from this video doesn't look to bad. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTLCTB09LVI
can be bought here
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29546__Basher_Nitro_Circus_1_8_Scale_4WD_Monster_Truck_w_2_4Ghz_radio_RTR_.html

I know its a cheapie but not everyone can afford the real deal so to speak

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2013, 10:39:54 AM »

KB

I can sympathise with you there.  I've always wanted a decent remote control car and a couple of years ago the wife made that dream come true and brought me a 1/8th nitro Hoboa Truggy for my bday.  It wasn't a cheapy at $750.  It was awesome, and I loved it, but everytime I used it something broke or wore out. 

No problem though as the local hobby store stocked all the spares, and the replacement parts were reasonably cheap..... but.  Everytime I went to replace the part the dude across the counter would say "look, I can sell you a stock plastic replacement part for $10, but you're only going to be back in here again next week replacing it again cause it will just break.  I suggest you go for the upgraded part made from aluminium or carbon fibre....."  It was always a great suggestion, but the upgraded part was always 5 - 6x more expensive than the stock replacement.  On this basis it can be an expensive hobby when a simple hour or so of playing with the car costs $100 in broken parts every single time.

I found with my nitro car that I spent half the time just trying to tune the thing.  There was rarely a time where you could just grab it off the shelf, fire it up and play with it as mine always required lots of stuffing around to get it running right.  It was fun at first and all part of the experience, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.  My nitro car was also pretty loud, so whenever I used it in the street plenty of people came out to see what the racket was and I'm assuming from their facial expressions not all appreciated the sound of a nitro car as much as I did!

If I ever decide to go back to RC cars it will be electric for sure mainly because of the simplicity of the "plug and play" appeal.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:41:36 PM by rotare »

Offline HoMErMY12

• Swag User
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
I bought a nitro Traxxas Revo 3.3 about 6 years ago as they didn't make an electric at that time.

Love the thing but as others have said. Everything I went out something broke. I eventually put it on the shelf about 3 years ago and only just recently started playing with it again. But first it is getting a total rebuild and upgrade.

I seem to find it more enjoyable sitting at my desk building things than actually going outside and using them.

But once this project is over and I start using it I'll probably do a ground up build of a brushless revo. I don't have an issue with the nitro but I think I'd go electric for the simplicity if it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subaru Forester MY12
My trailer

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
Don't tempt me!! :laugh:
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak