Author Topic: Touting for business in the wrong way.  (Read 3309 times)

Offline PeaBrainPete

• Swag User
Touting for business in the wrong way.
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »
I have noticed that some (and it is a minority) of the trailer manufacturers are touting their wares out in the general forums.
There is a spot for this in the Trader -> Showroom Floor.
What do other swaggers think?

Oooh! Goldfish!

Offline PeaBrainPete

• Swag User
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Some of the manufacturers show some class by providing good advice without mentioning their own trailers.

I do not like the "Hi Newby - you should try out our website or phone. We will provide advice - no pressure - on our range of camper trailers manufactured / assembled here in Oz by proud orange and blue Oompah-Loompas.

Maybe the mods (because they have nothing better to do with their time!!!) could move these posts into the showroom floor under a new title, "Mildly interesting and annoying self trumpet blowing".
Sorry cross out "interesting".
Also cross out the "mildly" and the "and".
Thinking about it also cross out the "trumpet" part.
Ummm maybe the left over words should not be put up on a family friendly forum as a title, even if it is accurate…
Oooh! Goldfish!

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
And a for sale section for 1 post wonders.  :)  ;)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Touting for business in the wrong way.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
And a for sale section for 1 post wonders.  :)  ;)
x1000
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
Agree, but there is nothing wrong with them saying hi to a new swagger!

And yes, I agree, there is a spot in the trader section to sell your product!!!

I put up a request in the trader section for a set of roof racks for a 05 hilux. If I don't get a response in a week, then I'll get rid of it.

I think this has already been covered, but there should be a time limit on your sale if you haven't had any responses. Or if you have sold the item but not put up in the thread that it is sold or even delete it when you have.

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Marschy

Re: Re: Touting for business in the wrong way.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
there should be a time limit on your sale if you haven't had any responses.

How long would you suggest?

Some items take longer to sell simply because they may only suit a small number of people's needs.

An example is my Engel upright fridge that took over 6 months to sell. I got a few comments posted along the lines of 'Wish you were in Brisbane'. Then out of the blue after months of no interest, I sold it to a bloke here in Adelaide who had the same fridge but his was cactus. He joined myswag so he could see the pics and bought it as soon as he determined it suited his needs.

Had it been in the Trading Post it would have cost me more to advertise it for that period of time than what I sold it for.

Cheers Marschy

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
Re: Re: Touting for business in the wrong way.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
How long would you suggest?

How long is a piece of string!?

I retract my comment regarding how long people should have their posts up to sell stuff, but I don't when it comes companies trying to sell off their product.

Sorry for taking over this thread PeaBrainPete.

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline PeaBrainPete

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
No worries, it is interesting. I agree with comments made. I also think that the manufacturers can and do (generously) make a good contribution - I find this more persuasive than the hard sell.  I probably should have posted on the daily rant.
Oooh! Goldfish!

nbd73

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
The comment about 1 post wonders selling things has bugged me for some time, it's been discussed before. Maybe either a minimum time period has to lapse, or minimum number of posts reached, before anyone can sell stuff on here? When someone's 1st post is a for sale ad you can bet your house that it will be their last too, unless they have something else to sell.
As for trailer manufacturers pushing their wares in other sections than showroom floor, yes it's annoying and the admin team have shown admirable tolerance with this. Even in the showroom section some push the boundaries a bit eg there is a rule that say something like only 1 thread per seller or product yet there are a few hat have started multiple threads in an effort to spread the word or whatever some ad agency as advised them to do. Ignore, don't read and the problem is solved.