Author Topic: 2013 Australian Scout Jamboree  (Read 4715 times)

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
2013 Australian Scout Jamboree
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:04:23 AM »
The 2013 Australian Scout Jamboree is currently being held in Maryborough, Qld, and from the stories and photos in the local newspaper, it makes you want to be a scout. There are 11,500 scouts, leaders and volunteers camping at the Maryborough Showgrounds.  An amazing figure when the population of Maryborough is only 28,000.  (Would you believe I joked to my wife that the scouts will be trying to help heaps of older locals to cross the road to get a badge. She very quickly said, yes, and you better watch out if you go to town! Cruel...)
We live as the crow flies about 2 kilometres from the show ground and hear the night entertainment and it sounds brilliant. They have had Jessica Mauboy, Reece Mastin, Tim-o-matic, comedian Josh Thomas and magician Consentino, so far.  When you drive around town there are scouts everywhere and injecting heaps of money into the local economy.  Well done to the organisers and to the scouts.   
And they are having a huge auction of all the equipment and camping gear when it is done.  8)  Kevin
The following are some photos from the local Fraser Coast Chronicle.

The show grounds taken yesterday, the Bruce Highway is in the background.

I think they need a bigger train to get them around

Will be an interesting auction

I think they need to clean the bath

There is a large Police presence at the show grounds, but I think this officer must have fell asleep and the scouts got to him  ;D

Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 2013 Australian Scout Jamboree
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
we were driving to rockhampton on new years day and wondered what the event was.........

i went to the world scout jamboree in the mid 80's

Marschy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »
I went to the 1973 scout jamboree in SA. The old mud slide still features quite highly I see.

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
I know a group that have gone up. They have been preparing for AGES.
The planning that would go into an event of this size is huge.

Looks like fun...

Good to hear they are also helping the local economy, who said Scouts were all about just washing cars :)
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »
the mud slide course was closed at the Adelaide jamboree in 1988 i went too after 20% of the camp contracted a diarrhea bug :D not all of the mud was actually mud - it turns out :D
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --
http://www.vk3bq.com/

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
I miss my little princess. She called her mum the other day and said she was enjoying it but it was a little boring!!! Boring is a word I have not heard from a Scout at a Jamboree every so it will be interesting to see when she gets home what she meant by this.

Ours get home at 8:30 next Monday, cannot wait to catch up with her and the Leaders and see how it went.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
I miss my little princess. She called her mum the other day and said she was enjoying it but it was a little boring!!! Boring is a word I have not heard from a Scout at a Jamboree every so it will be interesting to see when she gets home what she meant by this.

Ours get home at 8:30 next Monday, cannot wait to catch up with her and the Leaders and see how it went.

Bunyip

That is a bit sad.  Here I thought they had heaps of activities for them, in Maryborough and Hervey Bay. I suppose it would be difficult to organise.  Maybe then I was wrong and they are not having so much fun.  :'(  Hope time goes quickly for her.    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
That is a bit sad.  Here I thought they had heaps of activities for them, in Maryborough and Hervey Bay. I suppose it would be difficult to organise.  Maybe then I was wrong and they are not having so much fun.  :'(  Hope time goes quickly for her.    Kevin

My daughter can have a habit of being a little bit of a drama queen so I am sure they are all having an absolutely great time. Inspite of our best efforts she also needs to be entertained constantly, even after going to a movie, going camping for  week, going into the city for a day during a two week holiday she will complain that she has not done anything these holidays. She probably had the s*$#s because she didn't get to something she wanted to. I am sure I will be told endless stories of what she did do when she gets home.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
the mud slide course was closed at the Adelaide jamboree in 1988 i went too after 20% of the camp contracted a diarrhea bug :D not all of the mud was actually mud - it turns out :D

I was at the '88 Jamboree in Adelaide too. A great experience for kids!
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline nisnav

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
 our 13yr old son is up there at the moment having a ball cant actually wait for him to get back on monday as a cub leader i have an idea of the time and effort involved in puttting on and running an event like this.  Looks fantasic we have also been following it all through facebook
and they have done some fantastic stuff :cup:
06 D22 Navara, Snorkel, OME suspension, MT ATZ 4rib tyres, Alloy bar, Canopy, Uhf, ARB compressor, Dual Battery and a Tambo Marlo camper trailer