Author Topic: 2005 Prado My new drive  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
2005 Prado My new drive
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
Just brought myself a second hand Prado. Factory standard. Looking now for a bullbar, Snorkel, suspension what do you recommend.
Car is my partners daily drive. But brought with getting it ready to go up the cape and many other camping trips.
life is a gift best lived boldly

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: 2005 Prado My new drive
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
ARB bar
Safari snorkel
OME suspension
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:10 AM »
^^^
what he said

Offline elle.mac

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
Definately ARB bullbar - we currently have a TJM on our 03' 120series Prado and it shakes to the point we have snapped an aeriel and spotlight mounts and once we hit Brisbane at the end of the month we are going to speak to ARB to look at getting their bullbar instead.

EFS suspension works good in our Prado
2003 120 series Prado (aka the Beast)
2012 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline stephwoodall

• Tent User
  • 2015 Landcruiser 76, Customline Walkup Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
I have Lovells suspension in mine and is perfect.  Have done thousands of kms off road with no dramas. 

ARB Deluxe winch bar
Safari Snorkel
Warn 9000 Winch
Narva 225 spot and spread lights
ARB roof rack
Redark dual battery with 2 extra outlets in cargo area
Engel Fridge
and the list goes on....

Don't forget a set of Cooper STT's!!  This will start some comments I am sure.

Cheers

Stephen

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 08:08:49 AM »
what do people think of Ironman bars.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
what do people think of Ironman bars.

There is a reason they're cheaper. The only non ARB bar I would remotely consider is the Powerful bar primarily for the front tow hitch capability.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
Is this a wish list or a need list?

If its a need list then IMO the first thing you want is an ARB rear locker.  120series prados suffer badly from self destructing rear diffs and user error is not the cause.
The locker will lessen the chance of it breaking (check out pradopoint.com).

Whats your std suspension like?  If its fine then leave it. 

Seriously, std suspension with a locker will outperform aftermarket suspension without one.  The Toyota's LSD is crap.

Add in some skid plates to protect the engine and trans, some good all terrain tyres, a tirfor winch, a water crossing recovery blind and basic recovery gear.

Bump your insurance up to cover accommodation/transport etc if you do hit a bull and disable the vehicle.

So thats what you would NEED imo.

Now if its a WISH list then grab an ARB catalogue for accessories and ring Darren McRae at Autocraft for your bilsteins suspension package.

You will love your Prado.  And just, or maybe more, as important they make a great daily driver.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
Sorry totally disagree a locker will simply get yourself into more trouble. I have an 05 prado and have had no troubles with the back diff. I eithier think it is a myth or due to poor line choise / driving when offroad

As for needs you dont really need anything

You can run a fridge off the main battery (just turn it off when you are not driving)
Standard suspension is soft but OK
If you are not going in wildlife country a bullbar is a waste of time

As for wants
Decent set of AT tyres make things so much easier ( i have found that BF's have served me well for the last 5 years)
Duel battery is great set and forget fridge
Upgraded suspension has made my driving much more pelasurable as it is the front fuel tank bash plate that hangs low and cops it in the scrub and you also belly out in the sand less
Yes i have a bullbar(ARB) this was fitted for a half lap around OZ and not until my third year of ownership
UHF has been handy for multiple vehicle trips or recovery planning

I personally would rather spend my money on trips than on mods that may get used rarely over the enture life span of the car
some examples

Driving lights do you do much driving at night and need HID or will a set of Narvas do the job for the 10 times per year that you do
Chips are you towing ?? if not the difference is not that great
Drawers you can get some plywood and make up a base to mount your fridge etc or even build some shelves
Reverse camera if you actually need one of these get some driving lessons
Mud tyres you are just showing off unless you live and work in northern OZ in the wet season
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
Sorry totally disagree a locker will simply get yourself into more trouble. I have an 05 prado and have had no troubles with the back diff. I eithier think it is a myth or due to poor line choise / driving when offroad

Sorry but you are wrong.  I am a member on Pradopoint and it is well and truly documented by members who are obsessed with Prados.  They are actual members, not trolls, so its no myth.

How does added traction get you into more trouble?

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
Rear locker - good insurance. yes the rear diff on 120 series it a bit of a weak link. you might never have a problem, but then again plenty have
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »
OK BTW to clarify, the locker is not about getting into more trouble etc, just that the locker diff elimiates a potential driveline weakness.
I'm not aware if it's common to all 120's or a particular run of them but that's a question for the pradopoint guys to answer
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »
Sorry will clarify a bit, locker can get you into trouble as there a some (not all) that see it as a handle all situations button, which then causes themselves to put the vehcile in situations that are way beyond thier skill level.

I am also a member of prado point but take a wider view. The membership of prado point is
A. a very small percentage of prado owners total
B Would probably have a higher exposure to off road so equipment failure reports would be higher.

I also find it interesting that on the pradopoint there seems to be a fair few rear diff failures in situations when i doubt the locker would be engaged anyway.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong just offering a different opinion
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
Apologies for the 'wrong' comment.  Out of line.

I think there is enough evidence that there is potential for a problem.  My 120 is about to clock over 200000ks and I cannot fault it but worry that it may do the diff at some stage.  When the $$ come in F & R lockers will be going in. 

I feel we gloss over problems with vehicles for some strange reason and make excuses. 

There is no excuse for a vehicle to break a diff unless its being flogged. 
Just like its not reasonable for 3l TD Patrols to destroy themselves unless operator error is involved. 
Just like Landcruisers 100series shouldnt break front diffs.
Just like D4D injectors shouldn't crap out.
etc etc.....

cheers

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 07:06:07 AM »
Ok Thanks guys. Getting a little off what I was asking but interesting, good to know.
I am starting to set this car up for a trip to the cape in about two to three years (have to put food on the table before the car, who would have kids?) I have decided on an ARB bar, thanks for helping out with that.
Suspension will be next, Bfg At's will be once these tyres are worn out. And so on.

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Mate, If your not already a member on Pradopoint.com like dazzler suggested, do it, as the vehicle owner forums on the web are an excellent way to get info and advice on whats good and bad, all the options for your vehicle, and also threads with pics on how to do stuff yourself which will save you heaps of dollars so you can buy more stuff for the Prado.(you will be amazed at how much money you can save)
Cheers & good luck with future mods

Frank

2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline aquadux

• Swag User
  • It's great to be outdoors
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
Definitely ARB bullbar - we currently have a TJM on our 03' 120series Prado and it shakes to the point we have snapped an aeriel and spotlight mounts and once we hit Brisbane at the end of the month we are going to speak to ARB to look at getting their bullbar instead.

EFS suspension works good in our Prado

Not sure if this relates to your bullbar shakes, we recently purchased an 03 Prado, we had to take it to our local Toyota dealer for various reasons (not related to this), but while we were there they informed us that there was a recall on Prado's to have the bullbar mounts redrilled, maybe you should check with your local dealer.

Richard
Toyota Prado diesel
Jayco Discovery

Offline elle.mac

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks Richard we might suss that out when we are back in Brissie - we have had it looked at by a local mechanic and he got the new fittings that toyota recommended but they would not of helped so might be a case of crap bar or the mounts re-drilled.

2003 120 series Prado (aka the Beast)
2012 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
There was also a recall i think on the brake bootster They will have put a silver sticker on the inside of your door On the metal bit if the work has been done
I Drink & I Know Things