Author Topic: 2012 jayco swan outback | Roof air con option  (Read 12605 times)

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
2012 jayco swan outback | Roof air con option
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »
Hi All, I have just ordered a swan outback and my wife is really keen on the air con... I really dont see the point

But does anyone have this option? would you reccomend? positives/ negatives

Cheers
Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 2012 jayco swan outback | Roof air con option
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
Hey Greg, in response to your other post, we were quoted around $2k... they have to reinforce the roof. Honestly, just take a small fan if it is that crucial.... camping is about getting away from the luxuries (well mostly)....

Regards

Scott

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
I'd say for resale do it, you probably won't get your money back but it will help sell it and you'll keep the wife happy.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
I'd say for resale do it, you probably won't get your money back but it will help sell it and you'll keep the wife happy.

I'd rather spend the money on something else... but each to their own....

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »
Yeah thanks guys, I was also quoted 2k...... Apparently dometic have just realeased a new model speciifc for the camper but could be the salesman just spinning some bulls%#t..... I suppose when you are spend plenty whats a couple more.. I do think that it does differentiate form others when we sell/upgrade but that a lomg way off. Plus with the additonal height 235mm it just fits through garage door; I think.

Greg

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
If I was buying a new camper, I'd make sure it had aircon and shower/toilet.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
Yeah thanks guys, I was also quoted 2k...... Apparently dometic have just realeased a new model speciifc for the camper but could be the salesman just spinning some bulls%#t..... I suppose when you are spend plenty whats a couple more.. I do think that it does differentiate form others when we sell/upgrade but that a lomg way off. Plus with the additonal height 235mm it just fits through garage door; I think.

Greg

Good luck Greg, as D4D said you should keep the wife happy... I kept my wife happy by buying the new Swan Outback.. that will do for the time being...

Regards

Scott

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
The experience of camping in whatever form needs to be an enjoyable one. If air con is going make it more enjoyable for your wife then that needs consideration.   We find that in the heat of the day, we are keeping cool near a water source and at night, a small fan is sufficent.  We had considered an Expanda before buying a Swan but felt closed in by the solid walls.  Had we gone down that path, we would have gotten air cond, shower toilet etc - but we consider ourselves campers with young kids - not nomads. It really is a personal decision - fortunately you have time to mull it over and it's a good idea to raise it with other like minded campers.  Good luck.
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:12 AM »
I have it fitted to my 2010Hawk and is the best $2700 I have spent on the camper. Camping in FNQ can be blistering hot in summer and have the AC means during summer we can still camp.....Each to his own but I highly recommend. Also, remember it is Reverse Cycle so can warm the van in winter. I would do it again in a heart beat....Good luck....

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
Hi tea bag..Can you please tell me what model air con you got and also what does that bring the overall travel hieght too please if its not too much trouble?
Greg

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
Re: Re: 2012 jayco swan outback | Roof air con option
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
Hi tea bag..Can you please tell me what model air con you got and also what does that bring the overall travel hieght too please if its not too much trouble?
Greg

The AC is Domestic B2200. Overall height can be hard to give as some Jaycos are underslung and some are overslung. Still don't know really why as the excuse from Jayco doesn't wash with me.....

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Macca357

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »
Hi Greg, congrats on the new Swan,  you'll love it. We have a 2011 Hawk OB with a Dometic 2200B. We have used it more for heating than cooling up till now. We wanted air con so that we can travel up though Broome, Darwin and FNQ in a comfort on our next big trip (probably still 2 or 3 years away). If you plan on Vic coastal trips you may not need it often, however if you plan to head up to the Murray River in summer it could get a run. Dometic brought out a new model (3000b) but Jayco did not want to fit to ours last May as they reckon it was too heavy (compared to the 2200b). Best bit of advice is 'happy wife, happy life!'
Cheers Macca.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »

Sounds like you fellas need to brush up in the bedroom.

Buying air conditioners to make women happy.   How strange......   8)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
G'Day Macca, Can your hawk outback fit in a standard garage i.e height? Do you know what the total tyravel height comes to with Airc on the roof? Sory for the questions but the dealer wants to fit a new model aircon form Air command called a sparrow. Any by my rough measurments it gives me a sapce of about 10mm!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking I might have to deflate tyres to get her in the garage :)
Greg

Offline Red1

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »
Hi All,

We have a dometic unit on our 2011 Swan. It fits in a standard garage (2.1m roller door) with about 50mm to spare. We have the independant suspension on camper.

Our A/C didn't work when we got it- dead on arrival, but has been replaced and is now all good. I also think that if that is what is needed to make the whole camping experience a winner for all the family, then get one especially if you live in hot areas like us. As an extra there is also a remote controlled light which is great when you need to get up for the kids during the night.

Cheers

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »
Hi Red 1 thanks for the advice. Does independant suspension change the overall height or does it sit the same? What about length I have about 5700mm in the double garage, isthat similar to yours.
Thanks for your time and sorry for all the questions, just getting some diferent opinions.!!!
Greg

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
If I was buying a new camper, I'd make sure it had aircon and shower/toilet.
Thats what we did  ;D

If you think you will use then A/C then I would get it. It can help cool the camper down on those hot nights too. We have used ours and although not a roof mount. On our central Oz trip last year we used the heater and it worked well.

Good luck with your decision.
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Macca357

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
G'Day Macca, Can your hawk outback fit in a standard garage i.e height? Do you know what the total tyravel height comes to with Airc on the roof? Sory for the questions but the dealer wants to fit a new model aircon form Air command called a sparrow. Any by my rough measurments it gives me a sapce of about 10mm!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking I might have to deflate tyres to get her in the garage :)
Greg

Hi Greg, I'm soaking up the good life at Eden Big4 for another week. We also have the independent suspension so I'm not sure if it will be different to yours. Either way I can't help with heights until we return.
Cheers Macca.

Offline Red1

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
Hi Swannie,
Don't know about height, this is my third camper, a Hawk and 2 Swans, and all have had independent suspension.

On the length topic, the last Swan (2009)wouldn't fit in the 6m shed without removing the spare tyre, but the new 2011 Swan fits in the shed with the tyre on and still has a couple of inches to spare???????

Hope this helps

Cheers