Author Topic: 2001 FORD COURIER PE XLT CREW CAB ???????????  (Read 3838 times)

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
2001 FORD COURIER PE XLT CREW CAB ???????????
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
Hey all, I need some info on the above vehicle. I am currently looking at one for my younger brother and not knowing much about them was chasing info, good and bad. It is a 2.5 intercooled turbo diesel and has 190,000 on the clock, looks like a really clean ute, but will let you tell me what they are like, thanks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:29:14 PM by moonie80 »

Offline xvprado

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 2001 FORD COURIER PE XLT CREW CAB ???????????
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
my young bloke had a 2006 model, went Ok, nice motor

They can rip the front cross member out off road, its the lowest point and exposed, nearly impossible to get one from a wrecker cause they sell that bit so quickly

My young fella blew the front diff on his getting some fresh air under the tyres, like a young fella will do, certainly no fault of the vehicle, the Ford mechanics were amazed when they saw it

I have heard stories about the auto locking hubs on the XLT playing up, but no experience of that

The front torsion bar suspension is twitchy if you wind it anything more than 25mm
Glen
Hawkesbury Valley, Sydderney
2015 200 TD VX & Mountain Trail LXV4.7

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
Hi Moonie,

Before Sunday, I would have said go for it. The father-in-law has one, and it's been a great truck. His is an 05 dual cab (bottom of the grade GL spec), with the 2.5TD motor, with all of 30,000kms on the clock. He picked it up about a year ago second-hand, and has been having a ball with it ever since. It's always gone where he's wanted to go, and tows his camper with ease. I wouldn't say the little TD motor is a powerhouse, but it's certainly not bad.

We had a bit of a question about it a couple of months ago when we pulled the airbox out one weekend to find the airfilter completely drenched (IE, dripping wet, and water pooling in the bottom of the airbox), with absolutely no idea how it got that way. So this Saturday just gone Trev fitted up a brand new snorkel to prevent that from ever happening again. We suspect where the intake passes into the inner guard, the seal wasn't seated correctly and whilst sitting outside it had simply drained some of the torrential rain off the bonnet and down inside at precisely the wrong angle.

On Sunday, I borrowed it to take a load of rubbish to the dump, and it looks like I've blown the motor in it.  :-[ :-X . Whoops. Still waiting to see what the damage is, and how I managed to do it. Hopefully it's just a broken valve spring, collet or rocker. Hopefully it's not as expensive as it sounds. I can assure you though that this is most certainly something specific to this vehicle though, and not indicative of a wider problem with the Couriers. I know a few people with Couriers, Rangers and BT50s (all varients of the same basic motor/drivetrain), and none of them have ever had any problems. Just my luck, it would seem.

Other than that though, it's been a perfect little ute. Suspension is reasonably hard (as you'd expect), so it doesn't like to flex up, and the standard tyres are junk. But at 190,000kms, you sould hope it doens't have it's original tyres on it still! Interior is basic, but easily cleaned. The GL's don't have a centre console, but a Waeco cooler/warmer sits between the seats perfectly on some non-stick matting.  ;D

Aftermarket support isn't great, but there's options out there for most things. IE, this snorkel, the only one we could find was a proper Ford one from a XLT-spec model. All the usual suspects did them for the earlier models, and the later models, but not for that specific model. The '01 may be better in this regard, or it may be the same. Everything else (bullbars, canopies, etc) seem to have a couple of choices at least.

I say go for it. If it's clean, and drives nice (and the engine doesn't sound like a handful of bolts in a paint tin), then they're a good thing. Plus they can usually be had cheaper, in better condition, than the more popular alternatives.

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
Thanks heaps Matto, we don't have to worry about snorkel and canopy cause its all there already will be looking at it weekend after Easter thanks for your reply, have a great break

Offline Blue Bravo

• adventure before dementia
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
This motor was temperature sensitive. If you had trouble with your cooling system it would crack the head. Check the cooling system carefully.
Glenn

A member of the leisure class