Author Topic: Adani vs the Environment  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Adani vs the Environment
« on: August 10, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »
Article regarding Adanis deliberate coverup of coal waste discharge and the incompetence of Qld Environment body.  Greed and Stupidity working together...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-10/adani-spent-a-year-trying-to-hide-reef-spill-details/10090632
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Adani vs the Environment
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
Having read the story it appears that Adani notified the regulator that this would / could occur. While they may very well need to improve their storage issues what are they expected to do when a storm like Debbie is on its way?
No argument that organisations should do everything possible to not pollute an area like the reef but the story doesn't give any indication at all if this has occurred in other circumstances or if it was a one off event due to the issues that Debbie brought with it.
I would bet that in the wake of Debbie that there were massive amounts of pollutants washed into the ocean ie: pesticides from farms, washoff from industrial areas etc however the coal port is an easy visible target as is Adani.

I have absolutely no connection to Adani or Abbot Point but do work in the industry and see this sort of sensationalist journalism regularly and it does nothing to solve the issues. Well known that these sorts of groups want all coal mining to cease regardless of the consequences

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »
Having read the story it appears that Adani notified the regulator that this would / could occur. While they may very well need to improve their storage issues what are they expected to do when a storm like Debbie is on its way?
No argument that organisations should do everything possible to not pollute an area like the reef but the story doesn't give any indication at all if this has occurred in other circumstances or if it was a one off event due to the issues that Debbie brought with it.
I would bet that in the wake of Debbie that there were massive amounts of pollutants washed into the ocean ie: pesticides from farms, washoff from industrial areas etc however the coal port is an easy visible target as is Adani.

I have absolutely no connection to Adani or Abbot Point but do work in the industry and see this sort of sensationalist journalism regularly and it does nothing to solve the issues. Well known that these sorts of groups want all coal mining to cease regardless of the consequences

Totally Agree... I would be interested to know weather more pollutants end up in our oceans due too run off from cane farming etc than it does for any other industry? being a Nth Qld'er I do know for a fact that a lot of chemicals do end up in our rivers / Oceans from these farms and it does get overlooked.

I am also aware that there are a lot of farmers that do put measures in place too limit this from happening too, but sadly there are some that don't..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline bazt

• Tent User
  • Don’t believe everything you think
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »
As someone who lives 30 ks from the Adani port and experienced the storm that followed Debbie I can guarantee that nothing would be able to contain the amount of rain that fell that night. We have had 15 inches of rain overnight and the street fills from gutter to gutter and I have 50mm of water in the yard but that night there was 400mm - 15 inches of water flowing through the yard, sheds, the house behind us and into the ocean about 200 meters away.
2013 Navara ST-X Blackline V6
MDC XT17 HRT
2011 VW Golf R

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Hmmm. Funny how Adani is being targeted all the time. At any one time there are copious amounts of coal sitting at Mackay, Gladstone, Bowen, Brisbane and probably heaps more just in Queensland alone. None of these get targeted. Where do the think the run off from all these places end up. You guest it in the ocean. So now why are people all worried about Adani. Have a look at the mining leases around where Adani are going to mine. There are heaps more companies ready to come on line in around the same area. They are just waiting for a rail line to be built.
There should not be any other companies but Australian companies mining Australia. We should just be exporting and people paying us for our coal. If the government had any business sense they could be the wealthiest country. But no we just do what the others tell us to do.

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Just received the below statement form Adani..

Adani is committed to being a safe, responsible and sustainable operator across all our businesses. In response to today's media articles which contains misleading information and an inaccurate account of events, we have released the following statement.
If you have any further questions about this statement, please contact us via ausmedia@adani.com.au.
Statement from Adani
Adani categorically denies the claims by the ABC that it has been attempting to hide information relating to matters surrounding its management of the effects of Cyclone Debbie. These reports are misleading and do not contain an accurate account of events.
Adani was simply concerned that certain content requested by the Mackay Conservation Council under Right to Information provisions would not be read in the full context of the situation, and may be selectively used to attempt to damage Adani.
The Department of Environment and Science (previously the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection) issued a Temporary Emissions Licence (TEL) in anticipating of flooding associated with Cyclone Debbie.
The TEL authorised:
(a) releases from release point W1 to wetland areas; and
(b) releases from release point W2 to port waters.
These release points are unrelated and are located at different areas of the terminal.  TEL requirements were complied with in respect of these release points.
An assessment carried out by the Queensland Government’s (then) Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation following Cyclone Debbie (published by report dated July 2017) stated:
“Although there were indications of recent flooding, there was little visual evidence of coal fines across the whole of the wetland. This is consistent with trace levels (<1%) of coal measured at most sites…there did not appear to be any impediment to growth of wetland plants in this area as new growth, in response to the recent flooding, was evident.”
The CSIRO also contributed to this assessment, stating:
“Satellite imagery collected after Tropical Cyclone Debbie appeared to show dark waters downstream of a release point extending into the wetland. Consistent with a temporary emissions licence (TEL), the coal terminal operator… sampled the stormwater release as soon as practicable and safe. The results of testing indicated that the release into the wetland was below the thresholds set in the licence condition."
(Source: https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/management/pdf/caley-valley-wetlands-assessment-impacts-cyclone-debbie.pdf)   
Tropical Cyclone Debbie was a severe cyclone (Category 4) that hit the Queensland coast in March 2017. The Cyclone brought extremely high rainfall and winds over 150 km/hr to the Bowen and Abbot Point region.
The terminal has a comprehensive water management system in place to ensure it does not adversely impact neighbouring wetlands or the marine environment.   This water management system operated effectively during the cyclone.
The TEL was properly applied for in the context of a cyclonic weather event and was granted by the Department.  The initial application for the TEL did apply to both release points W1 and W2.  A clerical error by the regulator during the issue of the TEL meant W2 was initially omitted and was later added after the regulator was notified of the mistake.
TEL requirements were complied with in respect of release points W1 and W2. We fully cooperated with the regulator and are confident we have complied with all environmental requirements of the TEL. We have therefore elected to have the matter heard by a Magistrate rather than pay a fine which should not have been issued.  We look forward to a resolution of this matter.
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »
Saw this article earlier today and after reading it I wondered if they did nothing what would the outfall from the cyclone been.  Also if I was to believe some of the articles I have read there should be no reef left to worry about. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
Where do the think the run off from all these places end up. You guest it in the ocean.
I am based in NW NSW and far away from the ocean but i can categorically say that i would be massively surprised if this was the case. Most people outside the industry (as at this time) have this perception but reality is so far from the truth it is not funny. Can only speak from my organisation's perspective but i do know that there has not been a single amount of coal contact water leaving our site in my time here and it is a condition of our approvals that this does not occur. We have a massive drainage system etc that is designed to funnel any coal contact water back to central areas where we then collect and co-dispose back into the mine proper. Can't say it wouldn't happen in an extreme flood / rain event but it is meant to be designed for greater than a 1:200 year flood event. We also have a creek that runs beside our coal stockpile (within 50 mtrs) and there is not a single issue
We have regular surprise inspections from the EPA and other regulators along with reasonably regular occurrences of helicopters flying overhead (regulators and protest groups) looking to see if we are breaching any air pollutant conditions. After these inspections i then find it amusing to drive home and look at the amount of dust going across the highway and roadways from farm tractors etc and think about how well we control these issues (not to mention the amount of $ and effort we expend) compared to other industries.

The other thing that these sorts of articles seem to forget is that those of us who work there are not environmental vandals and we also care about the legacy on our kids from our mining activities. Not a statement in regards to how the coal gets used just what is left behind when we mine. While there are people (as is in any part of life) that are less than diligent the vast majority of us are not. It is easy for the articles to just name a company but it is the individuals who actually perform various roles in the companies that ensure (or do their absolute best) that these sorts of breaches don't occur or advise someone that there is a possibility. I wonder how many other companies advised the regulator of potential enviro breaches prior to Debbie striking?

My take on all of these sorts of stories is that there are always more than one side to the story and unfortunately this usually doesn't get portrayed (who would have thought?).
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »
I am based in NW NSW and far away from the ocean but i can categorically say that i would be massively surprised if this was the case. Most people outside the industry (as at this time) have this perception but reality is so far from the truth it is not funny. Can only speak from my organisation's perspective but i do know that there has not been a single amount of coal contact water leaving our site in my time here and it is a condition of our approvals that this does not occur. We have a massive drainage system etc that is designed to funnel any coal contact water back to central areas where we then collect and co-dispose back into the mine proper. Can't say it wouldn't happen in an extreme flood / rain event but it is meant to be designed for greater than a 1:200 year flood event. We also have a creek that runs beside our coal stockpile (within 50 mtrs) and there is not a single issue
We have regular surprise inspections from the EPA and other regulators along with reasonably regular occurrences of helicopters flying overhead (regulators and protest groups) looking to see if we are breaching any air pollutant conditions. After these inspections i then find it amusing to drive home and look at the amount of dust going across the highway and roadways from farm tractors etc and think about how well we control these issues (not to mention the amount of $ and effort we expend) compared to other industries.

The other thing that these sorts of articles seem to forget is that those of us who work there are not environmental vandals and we also care about the legacy on our kids from our mining activities. Not a statement in regards to how the coal gets used just what is left behind when we mine. While there are people (as is in any part of life) that are less than diligent the vast majority of us are not. It is easy for the articles to just name a company but it is the individuals who actually perform various roles in the companies that ensure (or do their absolute best) that these sorts of breaches don't occur or advise someone that there is a possibility. I wonder how many other companies advised the regulator of potential enviro breaches prior to Debbie striking?

My take on all of these sorts of stories is that there are always more than one side to the story and unfortunately this usually doesn't get portrayed (who would have thought?).
my comment was based on natural disaster situations. 1:100 year flood happen 3 times in 10 years. If you think they can contain all the water in a cyclone or flood you are living in dream land. Yes day to day operations it can be controlled but not in extreme weather conditions. That is what the arrival is about. I have worked for mining companies for over 20 years and I can tell you at some stage they have to realease water that is not within EPA specks. And some times they have to just watch it run into the river or ocean as there is no stopping it.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
Wasn't disagreeing mate  :cup: hence my statement "Can't say it wouldn't happen in an extreme flood / rain event but it is meant to be designed for greater than a 1:200 year flood event".
Just giving others who may not have been exposed to this industry before some greater insight

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:56 PM »
at some stage they have to realease water that is not within EPA specks. And some times they have to just watch it run into the river or ocean as there is no stopping it.

As everyone else does in times of flood !!
This is about coal, or coal dust being washed into the ocean, but during floods, all sorts of stuff will also get washed in.....massive amounts of silt, trees, fertilizer and all sorts of human waste products.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have coal mining.....nor would we have cleared 1/2 of Australia for farming, but we can only manage it as best we can !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra