Author Topic: Buying from BigManTrailer Store  (Read 2776 times)

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
Buying from BigManTrailer Store
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking to get some extra bits for my Flamingo and I can get most of what I want from BigManTrailer on Ebay.
Prices seem to be OK, but as far as the water tanks go, do they suffer bad taste at all? I am looking at their 95l with stone guard etc...

Other bits I am looking at are the corner drop down units as the wind downs I currently have are noisy, and I am not a fan of their stability. Also their 9kg lockable gas bottle holder (x2) but thats another questions....

I'd appreciate anything you can offer, especially with the water tank. I have a filter set, but still, want to make sure the extra tank is good...
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Buying from BigManTrailer Store
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking to get some extra bits for my Flamingo.... Other bits I am looking at are the corner drop down units as the wind downs I currently have are noisy, and I am not a fan of their stability.

Tip: Dismantle your current ones so you can wire brush the threaded rods clean and give them a liberal coating of powdered graphite as well as on all the moving parts and when you replace them fit double 8mm nyloc nuts to the ends of the threaded rods as the single ones plus split pins will come loose. Then see how you find them as there's no problem with their stability although you do need pads/leg treads for soft ground.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
Thanks for that RF, sounds like a much cheaper idea.
No harm in trying it anyway..
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline matt150

• Tent User
  • Family man, 3 kids and wifey...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
I bought a gas strut for my camper front alloy box. It failed on the first trip away..

I will be speaking with the store to get another under warranty..
Cheers,

Matt

[Current ride] - 2012 150 Series Prado GXL TD Manual

[Camper] - 2008 Lifestyle 360i

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:05 AM »
Thanks for that RF, sounds like a much cheaper idea.
No harm in trying it anyway..

Basically the threaded rods need sevicing occasionally as they start out galvanised from new and then the galv galls somewhat and makes them jerky when winding. Lubricate them with oil based products and they'll pick up dust and quickly go the same way and hence powdered graphite is the go just like locks. Make sure the threaded rods are not bent too through abuse. If so you may be able to straighten it on a block of wood with a copper headed hammer or replace it if you can't.

The other problem I mentioned was the nut coming undone on the threaded rod, even shearing off the split pin as it did so and hence the double nuts (after the thrust washer that's hard against the rod shoulder and should be there) to keep the rod play as it should be. If that's all shipshape and graphite lubed you'll find they're smooth and quiet to wind and then the next service will depend on feel as to when they need the graphite treatment again. These are wear items and hence need servicing but they're often overlooked judging by the bare metal screeching sounds in the cara parks.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.