Author Topic: What camper trailer to buy?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
What camper trailer to buy?
« on: August 18, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
Good morning people,
We have been travelling and camping on and off over the past 14 years with our old faithful Kimberley Kamper and decided it's time to upgrade.
I'm currently researching and looking at Stoney Creek, MDC and Cub, specifically a forward fold model.
I know many in here will say why change from probably the best on the market (KK) but it's getting a tad old and we're looking for something with a bit more storage and a larger floor area to sit in.
I'd welcome any thoughts on the above three brands plus any others. It's literally a minefield out there with so many models and variations...it's doing my head in. TIA.
farcanal!!!
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What camper trailer to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:53:02 PM »
Good morning people,
We have been travelling and camping on and off over the past 14 years with our old faithful Kimberley Kamper and decided it's time to upgrade.
I'm currently researching and looking at Stoney Creek, MDC and Cub, specifically a forward fold model.
I know many in here will say why change from probably the best on the market (KK) but it's getting a tad old and we're looking for something with a bit more storage and a larger floor area to sit in.
I'd welcome any thoughts on the above three brands plus any others. It's literally a minefield out there with so many models and variations...it's doing my head in. TIA.
farcanal!!!

We have a kimberley also and love it plenty of storage being a 2015 with the large gull wing boxes, we camp with some friends who have a a skamper kamper forward fold which is pretty much the same as the Stoney Creek. they are pretty happy with it as they are a family of 5 and it fits them all in easily (they dont use the inside table and dining area as its a bit squishy when set up for 3 kids). Its pretty heavy and the quality of the fittings, hinges etc isnt quite as good as the kimberley but they are still really happy with it. The managed to have a few minor things fixed under warranty before Skamper went under but they were only cosmetic items. Its a bit slower to set up (with awnings etc) than our Kimberley but still doesnt take that long.  If its just for two people and ya still want canvas with inside dining id say a forward fold would be a great choice.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:09:31 PM »
After 2 KK’s we went to a hybrid. Main reason, no canvas ( except for the awning ).

Most hybrids and forward fold campers are made in china and also very heavy , around 2T tare, but then again, everyone wants all the bells and whistles these days.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 06:35:43 PM »
After 2 KK’s we went to a hybrid. Main reason, no canvas ( except for the awning ).

Most hybrids and forward fold campers are made in china and also very heavy , around 2T tare, but then again, everyone wants all the bells and whistles these days.
The main issue with hybrids.. $$$$

Fark 20 questions:

- how many people you catering for?
- what sort of camping
(basically more info :) )
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »
Good morning people,

I'm currently researching and looking at specifically a forward fold model.

we're looking for something with a bit more storage and a larger floor area to sit in.

farcanal!!!

In answer to these questions a forward fold camper has this main advantage, it sets up in its own footprint without the annex up.

The big drawback is that unless you have a big box in front on the draw bar (as they all do) you have very little storage.
Compared to a soft floor or rear fold, they have much less under canvas seating room (again without the annex up)
If you can live with these draw backs, forward folds are great, if heavy easy setup campers.
Lloyd

Sent from me

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »

Fark 20 questions:

- what sort of camping

33K for mine….new model Iconn,,,36K.

But that’s Chinese made….60K + for Aussie made
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
33K for mine….new model Iconn,,,36K.

But that’s Chinese made….60K + for Aussie made
What's your opinion of it? I like the layout, but really like the kitchen on the Reconn R2, and its aussie made, but big price difference as you said

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 10:22:15 PM »
What's your opinion of it? I like the layout, but really like the kitchen on the Reconn R2, and its aussie made, but big price difference as you said

We like it, but it really is more of a camper trailer rather than a van as such. A bed inside ( inner spring queen ), a small bench seat and fold out table and an upright fridge.

But we spend all our time outside so it suits us 100%.

R2 kitchen…..great, whole van pretty good, but I don’t like the idea of climbing up into bed.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 10:30:21 PM »
We like it, but it really is more of a camper trailer rather than a van as such. A bed inside ( inner spring queen ), a small bench seat and fold out table and an upright fridge.

But we spend all our time outside so it suits us 100%.

R2 kitchen…..great, whole van pretty good, but I don’t like the idea of climbing up into bed.
I'm happy with a swag, wife wants a van, this is about as close as i will go to one.

We do have a cub daintree le, but want something a bit more user friendly, getting lazy these days

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 01:47:59 PM »
We have a kimberley also and love it plenty of storage being a 2015 with the large gull wing boxes, we camp with some friends who have a a skamper kamper forward fold which is pretty much the same as the Stoney Creek. they are pretty happy with it as they are a family of 5 and it fits them all in easily (they dont use the inside table and dining area as its a bit squishy when set up for 3 kids). Its pretty heavy and the quality of the fittings, hinges etc isnt quite as good as the kimberley but they are still really happy with it. The managed to have a few minor things fixed under warranty before Skamper went under but they were only cosmetic items. Its a bit slower to set up (with awnings etc) than our Kimberley but still doesnt take that long.  If its just for two people and ya still want canvas with inside dining id say a forward fold would be a great choice.
......thanks lukey, our KK is a 2004 model so it only has the big box on the front which is almost full if we take our awning. If we take the whole annex that takes care of all the space in that box. Under bed storage is ok, but a pain if you want something out from there and it's closed up. I've actually made up a hook on a piece of aluminium tube to hook onto the 4 or 5 tubs I have under there with stuff in them.
Appreciate your feedback

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 01:51:50 PM »

Fark 20 questions:

- what sort of camping
..............It's only the 2 of us, we've done  a lot of bush camping, but the way the local governments are going that's becoming difficult if you don't have a shower, toilet and grey water tank. Our last trip away was 3 weeks and we just used caravan parks.
We'll go bush if we can get waayyyyy off the beaten track where we can't be found. Have managed to find a few of these spots.