Author Topic: ff campers????  (Read 3536 times)

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
ff campers????
« on: August 19, 2021, 09:45:12 PM »
Back again, I still can't find THE right camper. I've been spending my time  looking at mainly second hand MDC ff campers but they seem expensive compared to other brands. Is there something wrong with GIC, Austrack etc. I'm after something easily set up, can handle 100's of km's of corrugations etc. Capable of regular cape trips for 1-2 people. I'm sick of looking, have 15k to spend. Any advise would be useful. No  whingers or knockers please, already had them. I only want my perfect camper.

Bert

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: ff campers????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 10:04:34 PM »
Everyone says  I only want my perfect camper.
IMWO - They dont exist...

Then you'll have to build one, but wont get it for 15k

So the ones you've looked at - what was wrong with them?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline clarky

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 01:54:47 PM »
There are quite a few Skamper Dingos in the market for about what you are looking to pay. Don’t hear any issues with build quality etc. I had a very good look at its big brother and was very impressed.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »
Back again, I still can't find THE right camper. I've been spending my time  looking at mainly second hand MDC ff campers but they seem expensive compared to other brands. Is there something wrong with GIC, Austrack etc. I'm after something easily set up, can handle 100's of km's of corrugations etc. Capable of regular cape trips for 1-2 people. I'm sick of looking, have 15k to spend. Any advise would be useful. No  whingers or knockers please, already had them. I only want my perfect camper.

Bert

My 2 bobs worth.
Years ago I was in Cairns doing the Kuranda rail thing and talking with the bloke who took us to the railway station. I told him we were travelling with a Kimberley Kamper and he said he used to work up at the cape and the only camper trailers that made it up there in one piece were the Kimberleys. That was quite a few years ago and I'm guessing most models on the market have improved since then.
I'm also looking at a replacement for my KK, looking at Stoney Creek and MDC off-road models. I like the forward fold concept, they seem to have more room in the floor area.
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 01:09:36 AM »
Forward fold, needs to handle 100's km of corrugations and be under $15k? Not sure it exists, I reckon you're not being realistic in your budget, especially in these inflated covid price times.

GIC had a crap reputation a while back, not sure about Austrak.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
Had a Modcon FF [Elyisum], towed it everywhere... Did the Cape in 2012, never had a problem...

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline paulG

• Swag User
  • Work ...the curse of the working class.....
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »
My 2 bobs worth.
Years ago I was in Cairns doing the Kuranda rail thing and talking with the bloke who took us to the railway station. I told him we were travelling with a Kimberley Kamper and he said he used to work up at the cape and the only camper trailers that made it up there in one piece were the Kimberleys. That was quite a few years ago and I'm guessing most models on the market have improved since then.
I'm also looking at a replacement for my KK, looking at Stoney Creek and MDC off-road models. I like the forward fold concept, they seem to have more room in the floor area.
Sadly, I have heard really bad reports about KK recently: they were built here in Ballina: I honestly don't know for a fact that they have moved the manufacturing side of things ..but the company has been sold in recent years, to the detriment of the quality ....I have to stress that I'm only repeating what I have heard....

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
ff campers????
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:40:22 PM »

A quick gumtree search around Brisbane found 5 Modcon forward fold campers for 15-22k
These would suit your needs and are pretty reliable and strong

(Btw SUV in Mackay sell basically the same camper as a guardian, so you may find one close to you second hand)
Lloyd

Sent from me
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:42:24 PM by lloydus67 »