Author Topic: Advice needed - wind up vs forward fold/slide or forward+rear fold  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Adsyadsman

• Learning the Ropes
Hi swaggers,
Hoping someone that has used/owned these, or been through the same decision process can help chime in with their experiences...
We are a family of 5, including 1 teenager and 1 tweenager.
As a younger family, we were used to camp out of the back of our GU Patrol and a touring tent. But as we have grown up, and I have a few more aches and pains, we still enjoy our 'off the grid' camping but find the need to 'upsize' 🤔.
We have a 'modern diesel ute' as a tow tug and have been getting out and about in a renovated 96 Jayco Eagle.
It's a great van, but I'm soon finding out we can't take it to places we used to - like some national parks and 'hard to get' free camps, etc.
I've done what I can to make it more 'offroad capable' but because of its size and construction, I'm learning its limitations.
So wondering if these newer FF combo trailers might be better, either the rear slide or rear fold models.
I know our ute can take the added towball weight of these front heavy trailers. But would they be that much better than a wind up for our type of camping?
Especially when we have a budget limit too, so I need to stick in the 2nd hand market.
Am I better off trying to find a better quality off-road wind up like a Goldstream (early 2000s vintage) or a FF a few years old (knowing that some of the imported models may have quality/longevity issues)?
Anyone been in a similar boat?

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Advice needed - wind up vs forward fold/slide or forward+rear fold
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 04:39:33 AM »
I'm curious as to why, you can't take it to a lot of places? They fold down low and you could/can beef up the suspension on it without much drama and why not have a tent/lean to along side of it?  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 07:05:23 AM »
Campers are mainly all 1800mm wide and have a matching wheel track to the tow vehicle. If your pop up is too wide or is getting bogged due to differing wheel tracks then you have a real reason. The campers have independent suspension but you’ll be doing some hardcore tracks and corrugations before you need to change over. The bigger double fold campers are the same width and wheel track as the pop ups so no real gains in pure off-road ability apart from softer suspension.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 08:59:22 AM »
We had a Modcon FF, liked the fact that it's footprint was the same when setup.. With the older "little people", you could consider a couple of swags to them them [and you] some personal space.

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »
X

We are a family of 5, including 1 teenager and 1 tweenager.

So is the fifth member a pet?  That could determine  how much room you need.

I would also recommend the Modcon campers for all the same reasons as HEM19X, we are a family of 6 wit the youngest being 17 and we camp quite happily with the trailer and swags or an Oztent  (or a combination of both)  depending on where we are going and for how long. The Oztent tent with the walls on also gives us some more living space. I would go for the all Australian built model (2012/13 year) and you then won't have the quality and longevity problems.

something like this, if you can find one closer to you

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/items/details/2014-modcon-campers-hfa-off-road-aust-built/SSE-AD-6996864/?Cr=2
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:57:28 PM by 6knights »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline Adsyadsman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the replies so far.
Our pooch would make family member no.6 😂. I have a little man still in single digits which I didn't mention in my initial post 😉.
Correct on the van and track width issue. Some national parks have tight, overgrown tracks with buckleys chance fitting a standard wind up through.
At the moment all offspring prefer to be under the same roof as us and as we do regular cold weather camping (were based in SA), keeping us all off the ground is a big plus. And then for those really cold nights, having a diesel heater to toast our buns is a nice creature comfort.
We still have our Kodiak canvas touring tent though, which we toured around Tassie a few years ago in sub zero nights, but now my aching joints really prefer a raised bed 😂.
Thanks for the opinions on what model campers to look out for. Especially as we're confined to the 2nd hand market, knowing what models are better quality is really helpful.
Are there any other cons to consider with a FF compared to a wind up? Especially for our type of camping where we prefer more off-grid sites compared to caravan parks.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 08:00:54 AM »
With that sized family I would consider a rear fold with the kids room extension. You’ll end up with spaces for all as they get a bit older. A bit more setting up but a lot more space. Rear folds also have longer outside annexes with proper separation of the kitchen and living area so you can work in peace and safety for the kids. Forward fold outdoor setups were a compromise too many for us as a family of 4.

Offline RonnieQ

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
+ 1 for the Aussie made Modcons, put the older children in a swag or tent under one of the 2 annexes.
There are some bargains to be had on second hand Aussie made Modcons, considering they were ove $40k when new.
They tow well on and off road, low profile and plenty of storage.
A bit heavy on the ball but solidly bit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
{IMG}{IMG}

Offline Adsyadsman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
Thanks GBC and RonnieQ.
I'll look into the RFs a bit more and the earlier Modcons.

Offline Let560

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »
We have a Stoney Creek FF6 front fold rear slide sleeps our family of four easily. We have had this camper around three years and brought second hand and haven't had that many issues with it at all and we camp pretty regular
The following users thanked this post: Adsyadsman

Offline Adsyadsman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
Good to know Let560.
I was wondering about the Stoney Creek brand...

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
Have a look at the camprite........1 each side and 1 in the awning..............or 2 one side and 1 on the other..........
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....
The following users thanked this post: Adsyadsman

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
 Have a look for an  older CUB SPACEMATIC either I the high wall or  camper version.   Easy to set up. Heaps of room  once deployed.

Australian made and from my experience with CUB fantastic backup service.  Remember that the leaf  spring option  is just as good as the new expensive fancy independent options .

The older crew will most likely want to sleep seperate from Mum and Dad anyway., swags, tents or jet bunkers all come to mind as viable options that will easily be stored on or in the camper.

Best of luck with your research.

Cheers  Chris

Offline Muckinhell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Ecomate traveller forward fold.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
Iv had one of each of the style you are asking about and that you are looking at. we had one of the earlier modcons the aussie built versions and it was awesome and highly recommend. I you can find the right one they actually come with webasto diesel hot water and interior heater wich ours had. another to consider is for a bit of change left in the pocket the camper called ECOMATE, was modcons 1st foray into getting campers built in china to their design, not the mass produced change the paint and stickers and call it their own version you see now with just about every other manufacturer.

These ecomates were from 14 onwards an also came under the badge SUV, as somewhere the company split with the same version of camper. our 14 eco mate is pretty much identical to the ausie built just not as refined. We took the 1st modcon to cape and back no issues, while 2 of the other china branded campers had a few issues and the 17 model suv that was with us was fine. we even swapped the doors over and they fitted perfectly to see if there were any real differences.(also the modcons eco,suv have the seperate door to the steps so your not folding dust and crap into the camper at pack up time, and also your just that bit extra protected from things getting about outside, like the wild dogs we heard howling the 1st night of one of our trips).

the year after we sold that and bought a basically brand new ecomate and other than replacing the shocks after the 1st trip at easter had no issues on a 10k plus trip to uluru via camerons corner, oodnattat track etc. On that trip we had a virtually brand new stoneycreek ff6 and it had many issues along with others we saw along the way awaiting parts etc as the wheel fell of on one, and also my mates lost a bolt and another was loose so he almost lost a wheel too. by end of the trip only 1 shock was working and one water tank was holed and leaking amongst other things. Ffolds are great for setting up in the same space and you are way up off the ground, but seeing the size of your family unless you get a rear slide version may be a bit small.

the rear folds are great and often come in longer base so have larger area on the floor to fit more people specially in the cab range.

we had a cub spacevan and the floor space was huge, could easily accommodate bunks and the likes, before that we had an aussie swag as well, when the kids were real young, so they are a bit tighter on space. only down side is they need that extra room behind to set up and also some are difficult to get the floor level with the supplied adjustable legs, we found we need some bits of timber to cater for the odd hole in the ground to make the floor sturdy and lastly we also had a jayco outback dove. it was brilliant for living wise etc and would fit the number your chasing. we sold that to go the ffolds to do the cape trip. i didnt really think it was going to cut it on the sort of roads the cape has and or keep the dust out, wich as we found out talking to other owners was a constant daily struggle at set up, was to clean the thing, no matter what they did to try and seal it up. so depending on what your going to do will depend on wich might be suitable.

any way hope that helps with some ideas.
2005 HDJ100r Sahara
Better to look at it, than for it!