Author Topic: Purchasing a camper with VIN stamped but no plate  (Read 3205 times)

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
Purchasing a camper with VIN stamped but no plate
« on: February 22, 2021, 03:54:15 PM »
Hello Gents,

been a long time between drinks but I am looking at purchase a new to me second hand camper.  The kicker is that it does not have a VIN plate on it only a Chassis number punched into the draw bar.

With a car I know you can buy a certificate to prove it is not stolen but not sure how to go about it with a trailer.  How do you go about doing a check on it.  Currently not registered and had been sitting in storage for 10+ years and doesnt have any details of last reg.

James
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Purchasing a camper with VIN stamped but no plate
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:01:05 PM »
https://transact.ppsr.gov.au/ppsr/QuickVINSearch?li=False&si=1&wsi=aeb963e8-4008-4d6d-a098-797c01f4585e

Works for campers, trailers, caravans etc.. as well as cars, motorcycles. Government site.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 04:06:50 PM »
Hello Gents,

been a long time between drinks but I am looking at purchase a new to me second hand camper.  The kicker is that it does not have a VIN plate on it only a Chassis number punched into the draw bar.

With a car I know you can buy a certificate to prove it is not stolen but not sure how to go about it with a trailer.  How do you go about doing a check on it.  Currently not registered and had been sitting in storage for 10+ years and doesnt have any details of last reg.

James

I went through this... kinda'. In my case the trailer (small van) in question was registered interstate (SA) and I'm in NSW.

Went to get a blue slip, problem... the VIN plate was so trashed from 26+ years of rock strikes... it was shot peened smooth.

I tried contact SA rego mob, I tried talking to the NSW RTA, I tried talking to the original manufacturer... I tried bloody everything to get a new VIN plate.

Then in conversation with a rego guy, he straight up told me to buy a VIN plate off eBay and have it engraved with the details off the rego papers. While the year of manufacturer was known... the actual month was not. But I just picked a month. Had it engraved. Attached the damn thing myself and all was good.

I can't see how your situation couldn't be "fixed" using a similar solution...

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline gasgaschris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 04:13:35 PM »
There is no requirement for a vin plate. It's just a convenience. The ppsr report gives all the details that the plate would. These days they're often just a sticker anyway. It's the stamped vin or frame number that is the primary record.

For example, dirtbikes often lose their plate. Guys at blue slip stations are well aware of the rules.

The most important part of the plate is the vin number, and the approval number. Hope you got the approval number on your bodgy plate, otherwise you may be committing an offence?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »
10 or so years ago I went to register a camper here in Vic for the first time. They didn't accept the pop riveted label on the drawbar. It can easily be removed and replaced. I had to have the number welded or stamped on the drawbar. Funny thing is welds can be ground off and stamped disappeared when I repainted the trailer.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 05:54:17 AM »
When I built my trailer in NSW I only had to stamp the drawbar, no requirement to fit a plate.
I fitted a bolt on coupling at first, but knew I would eventually change it to a weld on 360 degree coupling eventually, so I stamped the vin number closer to the body. Then I mounted a Jerry can holder that covered the vin number. ::)

When I transferred the rego to Queensland they didn’t accept having only the number stamped on the drawbar and gave me a new plate to engrave.
There’s still a shiny new blank blue plate sitting on the shelf in the shed... ;)

Offline RedProw

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 06:33:44 AM »
When it comes to registering it with VicRoads you will be required to have a VIN plate attached. Just went through this process with a trailer purchased from NSW. No VIN plate but it did have the VIN number welded onto the draw bar and had current NSW registration papers with all weights noted. I was still required to obtain a VIN plate before rego could be transferred.

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:58:46 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  Did a check and the VIN number doesn't come up.  Think it is going to be more hassle than what it is worth

cheers
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Jimbags

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:56:02 PM »
Late last year I bought a caravan here in Vic. When I transfered the rego, there was no vin recorded on their computers, but there was a serial #. I was told to make sure not to lose the number plate as that was the only thing to identify it to prove ownership. I have since found what looks to be the vin welded onto the drawbar. It was hiding under the WDH clamps that I removed and sold off. I haven't yet updated vicroads, but will do it when I get the chance in case I ever do lose the numberplate.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  Did a check and the VIN number doesn't come up.  Think it is going to be more hassle than what it is worth

cheers
Hey James.
or use it to bargain hard. or even better - get the seller to fix it - have you spoken to the seller about it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 10:28:17 PM »

But does the owner have rego papers and what do they have to say about the VIN?
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 02:55:45 PM »
But does the owner have rego papers and what do they have to say about the VIN?

Nope no rego papers and doesnt know what the last rego was as it was not his but part of deceased estate and the person who owned never had it in their name either.

Too much of a can of worms for me.   It's a good deal but not for me

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
Quote from: jtraf
Nope no rego papers and doesnt know what the last rego was as it was not his but part of deceased estate and the person who owned never had it in their name either.

Too much of a can of worms for me.   It's a good deal but not for me

agree - run away
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
Get the current owner to sort it out if they want to sell. Deceased estates can be a pia to fix. Friends father passed away a couple of years ago. After 18 months he realised that he had not been getting the trailer rego renewal. Ended up being the fault of the rego authority not processing the transfer, car was done but not the trailer. Anyway hours and hours of work were required to sort it out as the trailer was a home build, from the 70's so not much paperwork. Their error his hassle.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »
Get a VIN plate and call the trailer home made , apply for a new VIN number - no problems
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "