Author Topic: Cape York  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Cape York
« on: January 28, 2021, 07:31:36 PM »
Hi all, Whos off to the cape this year, Well I am off on my first fishing trip around the 19th of April if the road is open by then. Go a bit later if need be but trying to be one of the first 4wds towing a boat up the Road and over the archer river, Going for 4 to 6 weeks North of Weipa, just camping and fishing on TOs lands, Then come home to sunny coast for a couple weeks service 4wd load up with gear and wife and kids and with wind up van in tow head back up to the tip been 30 years scene i was last there,  do the Tommy tourist thing with the wife and kids go to all the places we use to camp and check a few new ones and take photo of birds and insects and bit content for utube just free camp all the way up and back and maybe  just get day visit permits for NPs, Mite see you up there.  Then around chrissy mite head back up to bathurst bay for a another mates fishing trip for 3 weeks explore the east coast reefs in the doldrums.  Craig
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:29:11 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: kmcrosby78, Ozemu

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Cape York
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:24:02 AM »
Hi all Change Of plan and Covid depended, Just booked in leave and un payed leave, taking from March 31 to August 31 off work, Do Easter somewhere with fam, Then of up to Weipa and a little further north camping and fishing with my mate Dave for 4 to 6 weeks most likely 6 weeks, then home unload gear out of boat and 4wd and then buy two new tires for van load it up and if Aus is right to go for travel from state to state, We head off from Cooroy QLD and make our way up to Gove in the NT, see my mate maybe a week or so go fishing, then from there we head to Kununurra, have look around there for few days, then on to Wyndham for a look, them after a day so so make our way through the back way to Home Valley station and on to Mitchell falls and up to Kalumburu, for a week or two fishing with mates that mite be there from Gold coast, then back out and down to Derby mite see mates Daughter there, spend as much time as we can on WA, checking out places like Exmouth see my Nice and few people I know on West coast, and home, and if Covid has AUS in lock down and can only doe QLD we go to plan B witch is cape and gulf run, Craig 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:36:02 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
The following users thanked this post: kmcrosby78

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »
Good luck mate, I hope covid doesn't screw your plans. If you get a bit further south, I'll buy you a beer  :cheers:
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »
Sounds good, I will have a half and shandy and shout you one to, Thanks Shane not worried nothing I can do about it got to have dreams, can go back to work if all goes to Shit, as a casual , Craig

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 03:10:13 PM »
Hi all Change Of plan and Covid depended, Just looked in leave and un payed leave, taking from March 31 to August 31 off work, Do Easter somewhere with fam, Then of up to Weipa and a little further north camping and fishing with my mate Dave for 4 to 6 weeks most likely 6 weeks, then home unload gear out of boat and 4wd and then buy two new tires for van load it up and if Aus is right to go for travel from state to state, We head off from Cooroy QLD and make our way up to Gove in the NT, see my mate maybe a week or so go fishing, then from there we head to Kununurra, have look around there for few days, then on to Wyndham for a look, them after a day so so make our way through the back way to Home Valley station and on to Mitchell falls and up to Kalumburu, for a week or two fishing with mates that mite be there from Gold coast, then back out and down to Derby mite see mates Daughter there, spend as much time as we can on WA, checking out places like Exmouth see my Nice and few people I know on West coast, and home, and if Covid has AUS in lock down and can only doe QLD we go to plan B witch is cape and gulf run, Craig

Sounds good, Craig. In 2005 I took the Karunjie Road, just South of Wyndham, stayed at Diggers Rest Station overnight and then on to Home Valley. The Karunjie Rd. takes you around the Northern end of the Coburn Range (good views) and brings you out a couple of hundred metres East of the Pentecost River crossing, which is within spitting distance of Home Valley.
I'm hanging out for another trip but not game to cross any borders yet. I hope the Cape's not too busy because of covid.
Keep us up to date please.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:48:03 PM »
Hi Steve, Is that where Australia the movie was filmed,  as I wont to do that track to. And head north been 33 years sence I was up at Michell falls and Kalumburu, yep if we go will say on here, Craig

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »
Not sure about the movie, Craig. What I do know about the road is, stay on the brown stuff. If you see any gray soil, take a wide detour.
 Pic of part of the road and Coburn Range.

'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Rob Mac

• Tent User
  • My Father learning to drive 1950
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:57:56 PM »
Hi Craig, yes some of the movie was filmed on Home Valley, Carlton Hills Stn, north west of Kununurra, the production vans and crew were camped on Diggers Rest. 
After the races at Wyndham in 2014 went out to Roderick's place (Diggers Rest), he has known me since I was knee high, he and Alida run a horse trekking business,  in the common room made out of a stone building from the 1930's/ 40's, there was photos of huge white vans and marques, I asked him if he had a gymkhana and he said it was the production of the movie Australia.
Cheers.
Potatoes go with anything
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, doc evil, Steffo1, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »
Hi Craig, yes some of the movie was filmed on Home Valley, Carlton Hills Stn, north west of Kununurra, the production vans and crew were camped on Diggers Rest. 
After the races at Wyndham in 2014 went out to Roderick's place (Diggers Rest), he has known me since I was knee high, he and Alida run a horse trekking business,  in the common room made out of a stone building from the 1930's/ 40's, there was photos of huge white vans and marques, I asked him if he had a gymkhana and he said it was the production of the movie Australia.
Cheers.
Nice to hear history and stories like this...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »
Nice to hear history and stories like this...

Ditto!
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:12 AM »
Hi Steve, I Know nothing , thanks for the pics,  must have the tide come over them on full moon tides, Only watched a bit of penny wells Vids, on the road, Mite get a winch before I go,  Craig

Hi Rob, Sounds a interesting area, Thanks for the that info amazing, Yes my old Mate Snow Bostock and his daughter Kim do the rubbish and security and other things for a lot of the movies, Thats how I knew as they were out there for a long while, A bloke I use to know Bill Lieman was either working on or managed Home valley station in 1988 when we went to stay overnight on our way up but he was not there and the owner was there not a happy bloke, we kept going on up to Michel falls and port Warrender and Kalumburu, best fishing I have had out of 3,8m tinny mind blowing,
Craig   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:59:53 AM by Craig Tomkinson »