Author Topic: Which tyres - agaaaaaiiiiiinnnnn  (Read 5424 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Which tyres - agaaaaaiiiiiinnnnn
« on: November 04, 2020, 12:36:38 AM »
Haven't seen a "which tyre" thread for a while so here we go.

My Toyo AT2 have done around 66,000km. Been a pretty good tyre, so far have worn pretty evenly and have maybe 6-7mm tread left. Winter 2019 (around 35-40,000km) I noticed they started to get just a bit slippery on wet tarmac under heavy-ish braking. This winter just gone medium/heavy braking seem to cause the ABS to kick in on the wet tarmac more than I would like and I need to be careful on roundabouts if I'm in a hurry.

Looking to see what others are running and how your tyres are travelling with a few km on them. This is my 2nd set of Toyo AT2, I'm not sure if I want to run them again. Great on the lighter Pajero, a little bit skittish on the loaded Ranger.

Looking at Pirelli AT Plus, Wildpeak AT3W and Toyo R/T. Most likely go 265/70/17 (currently 265/65/17). My Ranger is loaded to GVM each day as it's also my work car. Lots of tarmac but a good offroad trek every couple of months, mainly beach and bush tracks, try and stay away from mud.

Happy to check out other tyres too. Something with a squarer "chunkier" edge seems to suit me, hoping to keep budget to around $1500 for 5.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Which tyres - agaaaaaiiiiiinnnnn
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:24:00 AM »
I have yoko Geo15’s on the ranger. Very happy with them for towing/loads/ lots of outback off-road touring. They aren’t any good in deep mud but everywhere else they are exemplary.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 05:43:51 AM »
Bridgestone Duelers if you travel.... cause you can get a matching replacement just about anywhere.
Theres a myriad of suitably exotic and tough looking tyres available in the city from any one of the multitude of tyre shops, but if you've got anything other than Duelers and you travel away from the major towns/cities, then chances are you'll end up with mismatched tyres if you need to replace a tyre in the bush.

Twice now I've needed a replacement tyre away from town (Katherine NT and Longreach Qld) and the only off the shelf available was Duelers, anything else would have neede to be ordered in.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 06:05:10 AM »
i put wildpeak at3w's on my pajero, after having the toyos...

very happy with them so far... have done about 10,000k's...

very good in the wet, not too loud, considering they are the 120S (LT construction) version...

mostly tarmac as it's my daily drive, but have done some bush and beach as well...

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:21:10 AM »
I put Cooper AT3 4 Seasons on my wife's Dodge and Goodrich MTs on the Land Rover. The Coopers are probably a better all round tyre.

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 08:08:54 AM »
I've had Mickey Thompson deegun 38s on for about 50k km now, they're about 2/3 worn and starting to get noisy. These are the best wearing tires I've had on a Pajero, and I'm very happy with both tarmac and dirt performance. I'll happily get another set. Price when i bought them was comparable to Toyo Opat2 etc.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:46:15 AM »
I had Toyo ATs on the cruiser for a while. Found them to be a superb all rounder but not quite tough enough in the sidewall for what I like to do. After staking 3 in 2 yrs I've switched to BFG KO2s. Done about 10K on them so far and no complaints. Ride wise they are a bit firmer than the Toyos but thats not an issue in a fully laden Cruiser.  ;D
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »
I've just bought a Ranger and had Maxxis AT811's fitted. To be honest I was aiming for Nitto Ridge Grapplers but there just wasn't any stock, and wasn't likely to be for. months. The 811 is relatively new and is the AT version of the Razr MT which seems to have had great reviews.It is a similar (aggressive AT) tread pattern to the Ridge Grapplers so I thought I'd give them a go. I went with 265/70/17's. I would probably have gone for 285/65/17's but they weren't making that size yet so I went with the 265's.

I've only got 2000km on them now, but so far they have been great. I can hear them, but I wouldn't say they were noisy, and in terms of grip levels they have really surprised me. Even in torrential rain they have been perfect. No slipping or aquaplaning at all. I'm really impressed. Haven't had a chance to test them off road yet but I can't see them disappointing given the aggressive patterns and side walls.

2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »
Running these at the moment, but will go back to Goodyear MTRs, just found the MTR's performed better in sand than the ATZs

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/our-range/baja-radial-atzp3
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 09:44:06 AM »
I had new pirellis on Prado purchased used.
No issues but replaced them after 45,000km as I was preparing  for a CSR trip.
Might have had another 10,000km in them.
Have had better longevity and no issues with several sets of Bridgestones.

Offline 2Strokeit

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »
Another Goodyear MTR fanboi here for 15 odd years.
Around town/sand set I have tried Bridgestone Dualers this time... square shoulders and good grip in the wet as well as even wear. Buuutttt dualers pick up small stones as if they are magnetized  from new and still doing it half worn. I personally wouldn't use them if I was heading to Kimberleys or Lake Eyre.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »
Another Goodyear MTR fanboi here for 15 odd years.
Around town/sand set I have tried Bridgestone Dualers this time... square shoulders and good grip in the wet as well as even wear. Buuutttt dualers pick up small stones as if they are magnetized  from new and still doing it half worn. I personally wouldn't use them if I was heading to Kimberleys or Lake Eyre.
I like how they bag for soft work.. @<12psi

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
40k out of original grandcraps on  04 prado
80k from Duelers.
Replaced again With duellers. and yes they love carrying around 2kg of stones.

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »
I have the wildpeaks on my BT50. I have done about 20k so far and I am pretty happy.

If you are lucky like me you can get the buy 3 get 1 free deal too.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 12:51:08 PM »
Shame your on the wrong coast, you could have spoken to the Diamond that is Black for some tyres...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 01:47:16 AM »
Cheers, gives me lots of options to look into.
The Maxxis 881s look good, seems like they have taken over the 980s.
My AT2s picked up lots of rocks too, really get stuck in the sipes and need a small screw driver to get them out.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »
I've had the Toyo AT2,s and the Dueller 697's on our Dmax. So far they seem comparable in terms of performance. I'd be happy with either, but tyres have come a long way and there's plenty of good alternatives too

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Ozemu

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
I just put 80,000km on a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (265/70/172) in the PX2 Ranger.

They were cactus as the end, so I'd comfortably say 70,000 of those k's was roadworthy and 40 to 50,000 of that 70k was trips from Melbourne to (Cape York, Simpson x2, Lorella Springs, Fraser Island and many High Country trips).

I was fastidious in pressures, rotation and wheel alignments.

Despite that, I have just gone to BFG K02's in 285/70. If theyre 3/4 as good as the Nittos I will be happy.

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »
I've had Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/60/18) on my 200 series and have gotten 80,000km out of them so far, and they're only about half worn. 99% of that has bene on road, and about 10,000km of that was towing a 3T van. They have been a great tyre for what I've used them for.....quiet, good grip, good wearing. My only concern with them would be if you wanted to do heavy duty off road work as they are only passenger construction (why they don't import the LT version as well I've no idea). The have very soft side walls which might not fair too well at low pressures. They also need to be up at their max 50psi for towing the van as well. Going by their load rating they should not technically need this but I find if I don't then the pressure increases a lot as they heat up indicating they were too soft to start with. Even at 50psi, and well under their max load rating, I can still see 7-8psi temp increases cold-hot. Definitely a good tyre though, depending on your expected usage.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Ozemu

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »
I found the side wall to be more than capable - twi trips across the Simpson at 12 -16 PSI, a week on Fraser Island and a month or so from Oodnadatta to Lorella and all the burnt tree roots etc and never once had a puncture. I'm not reckless enough perhaps to really damage them!