Author Topic: New fixed abode. Settled in and shed on the way. Good times 😊  (Read 9882 times)

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
Well interesting times ahead.
Currently renting on 2 acres with a shed. The owner has come upon hard times so has decided to sell which leaves me with three weeks to move out.
The next issue is I am soon to retire and in the process I am also selling my unit in Coorparoo which is currently rented. Now I (correct me if I am wrong) can't use any of my Super money to buy a new abode until I retire so will have some time in between to couch surf. Fortunatly I have that covered for myself but will have to store all my man bling in the shed and the few household possesions I have.
So a few things have to happen:
Pack up all the kit and kaboodle and play tetris into a 20ft container. Once filled it will be stored for a couple of months until I find new digs. I did a lot of research and ended up buying a one trip from China (advertised as new) container. I looked at a few used ones and they had more holes in them than my spagetti strainer. I tossed up the price difference and will be able to use it as storage if I need it once I move. Or sell it if I don't need it. Looked at movers and storage and don't have the $$$ to go that route.

Sell the unit.. has a contract on it at the moment so part way there but as we all know it's not over till the fat lady sings.

Then retire. I have a tentative date of Jan 6 2021. This will depend on the sale of the unit as I still have a negative geared mortgage on some of it so will need to service the loan.

Once I retire with the billions in my bank accounts I will be having a tree change and moving out of Brisvegas to the the peanut capitol of Qld to join the happy peanuts there. Looking to buy a house on an acre with a shed as large as possible. The new other half will follow when her last progeny finishes grade 12 next year. Till then she is stuck on the Goldy. I will be commuting the few days I have left to work from her place until I move to the country.

So happy times ahead and lots of swearing and sore back syndrome. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:47:43 AM by noel_w »
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: GBC, Craig Tomkinson

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: No fixed abode.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:35:22 AM »
good luck, bud...

hope the move goes well and your retirement is everything you wish for...
The following users thanked this post: noel_w

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
good luck, bud...

hope the move goes well and your retirement is everything you wish for...
Thanks mate, looking forward to seeing the rest of oz too. Think I will turn left at the Bruce and head North. The is nothing like when you have a solid route planned out.  :laugh: :laugh:
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:31:58 PM »
Good luck Noel. I hope it all goes well for you.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:38:37 PM »
Hi,
   I think if you buy a house with your super, you can't live in it. Rent and capital growth for your super I gather is the only option.
And I could be wildly wrong!
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
there's a government program for people approaching retire, called "transition to retirement " have your accountant have a look at it
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 03:34:20 PM »
there's a government program for people approaching retire, called "transition to retirement " have your accountant have a look at it

I think it allows you to draw up to 10% of your super?

As above talk to your accountant.

Good luck with everything mate.

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »
You can access a fair bit of super using the preservation age system that is allowed. 

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
If you're over 60, and "retired", you can generally access all your super. And it's tax free.
But with money in the bank earning almost 0% interest and super earning a ball park figure around 5 to 7 % ( apart from this covid year ), it's a serious discussion whether to take a big chunk out of super due to the almost impossible task of putting it back in.

A talk to a financial consultant is essential before withdrawing a big chunk of your super ..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 06:13:38 PM »
Good luck!

I've set my date for the end of December 2021. I was hoping to do the easy transition thing but covid has buggered that up. I was hoping to get back to Oz for Christmas next year, but covid has buggered that up too.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
Good luck, Noel! :cup:

It's looking more & more like my official date may be the end of January, depending a bit on what Scotty does with JobSeeker & it's associated requirements ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 07:22:45 PM »
Well packing houses and sheds I must say sucks big time. Have to be out by Tuesday and nowhere near getting there. Have some helpers coming tomorrow so many hands make light work. Hope so as there are a couple of flouros not working in the shed lol. This will be my second last move, next one in a cardboard box. Let the kids sort out the sh!t next time 😁😁
The following users thanked this post: Steffo1, hawks667

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 10:10:40 PM »
Well a bit of an update, have set retirement date for 29th January. Had to get that last paid public holiday under my belt. Second item is have put a contract on a house with settlement on the 8th February. 4 bedder on an acre of land in the peanut capital. Only has a single car shed though so have started to think about what sort of shed to get. A 9x9 with a lean to off one side is sounding good at the moment. Will only be for a workshop as I have a 20 ft container and the single shed for storage.
Things are happening though so the tree change is a happening thing.
The following users thanked this post: plusnq, GBC

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 06:28:01 AM »
Yay! ;D

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 04:40:51 PM »
Well a bit of an update, have set retirement date for 29th January. Had to get that last paid public holiday under my belt. Second item is have put a contract on a house with settlement on the 8th February. 4 bedder on an acre of land in the peanut capital. Only has a single car shed though so have started to think about what sort of shed to get. A 9x9 with a lean to off one side is sounding good at the moment. Will only be for a workshop as I have a 20 ft container and the single shed for storage.
Things are happening though so the tree change is a happening thing.

Might have to have a catch up and a feed at one of the wineries in your new kingdom.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 06:36:09 PM »
Might have to have a catch up and a feed at one of the wineries in your new kingdom.
That would be mighty fine. Bedrooms abound so plenty of room mate. Will look forward to it, also house rules say that guests are designated drivers 😁😁😁😁😁

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Still no fixed abode but pulled the pin yesterday.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 10:09:56 AM »
Well it's finally happened. Am now officially unemployed and living off the land, well superannuation rather. Last day at work yesterday and now free to throw the alarm clock in the bin. Oh what to do now. New abode becomes mine on the 8th Feb so think I will be busy for a while moving in and getting the shed built.
Feels a bit strange being unemployed after 47 years. And it went by in a snap of the fingers.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »
Well it's finally happened. Am now officially unemployed and living off the land, well superannuation rather. Last day at work yesterday and now free to throw the alarm clock in the bin. Oh what to do now. New abode becomes mine on the 8th Feb so think I will be busy for a while moving in and getting the shed built.
Feels a bit strange being unemployed after 47 years. And it went by in a snap of the fingers.

Congratulations. Very envious.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »
Must be a great feeling. Time to see end your money on booze drugs and women then waste the rest....
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
Well it's finally happened. Am now officially unemployed and living off the land, well superannuation rather. Last day at work yesterday and now free to throw the alarm clock in the bin.

Congrats, I'm counting down the 9 years until I can so the same!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:40 AM »
Well done Noel, Time to take the watch off, find a nice creek bank to call home for a week or so,  To stand down and ease into No have too's , No must do's,  I'll do pretty much what ever I want to,  When I want to life mode .. :cheers:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 12:56:58 PM »
Congrat's Noel :cup:

Turned out I beat you by one day ;D

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »
Welcome to the club.
Everybody’s retirement is different and after seven years I can offer one bit of advice: do what you want, not what other people think you should do.
 :cheers:

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Nice work mate now where's the  first trip planned to? Long way around to the high country???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 02:03:08 PM »
Congrats Noel. When you're settled in Peanut land give us a hoi and we'll come pay you a visit. Thinking about that part of the world ourselves.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline