Author Topic: 12 volt jacks  (Read 2909 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
12 volt jacks
« on: August 03, 2020, 09:49:18 PM »
I need a 12 volt jack to lift my caravan under the beam axle without me being under there too. I bought a Chinese cheapie which cacked its dacks with just 1000 kg on it at first use. It was rated at 3 tonne.
I need to be about 1.2 metres or more away away from the jack when lifting and lowering.
1. Can anyone suggest a reliable 12 volt replacement sourced in Australia? OR
2. Would I be better using a second hand Toyota bottle jack and modifying it with an extra long home made socket extension to run it off a battery drill?
I'd appreciate any opinions.
Cheers
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: 12 volt jacks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »
I'd go the Bottle jack gig,
But personally I'd have 1 car stand handy in the trailer/car to wack under before removing the flat tyre.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:04:27 PM »
I always use car stands as well. But my hydraulic jack and my Toyo standard bottle jack won't let me get out from under while working the jack.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »
Not possible with most cars, but with 4wd's and caravans, if I can shimmy under it to get a jack set up, if things go wrong it will only drop to where it 1st was, so no real danger, unless you get under it with the wheel removed.
My Toyo 200 series has ext handles that let you use it from outside of the "danger" zone..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:21:03 PM »
how far under do you need it to be? is it like a car barely under there?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »
The jack has to go under the axle just inside the roll bar bracket to clear all of the water tanks. So  along handle is the go.

This means that the 200 Series extension handle is not long enough and is a bit wonky at the angle it has to sit. But it's a great jack and I think I can get a second hand one for not much money. If I can weld a socket adaptor onto the round jack handle mount at the jack base and attach a uni joint with a longer handle, it should work a bit better, maybe with a battery drill.

The 12 volt ones all seem  to be a bit Shite, so does this idea sound practical?

Keith

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
Send the wife under   >:D ;D
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 08:59:21 AM »
The jack has to go under the axle just inside the roll bar bracket to clear all of the water tanks. So  along handle is the go.

This means that the 200 Series extension handle is not long enough and is a bit wonky at the angle it has to sit. But it's a great jack and I think I can get a second hand one for not much money. If I can weld a socket adaptor onto the round jack handle mount at the jack base and attach a uni joint with a longer handle, it should work a bit better, maybe with a battery drill.

The 12 volt ones all seem  to be a bit Shite, so does this idea sound practical?

Keith
My Patrol ute has a long extension handle that would probably go that far. Let me know if you want to go that way, I can measure how long it is.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Hi,
    I made up a wheel lifter, mainly for getting traction aids under the tyre.
However something like that would get you axle high enough to slide a wooden block under it.
I saw some wooden blocks made up with rope handles that could enable a user place and retrieve them from under the axle with a pole/handle without getting under the vehicle.
Then the jack could be lowered and removed from the wheel to change to a spare before reversing the lift sequence, all without going under the vehicle.
May/maynot work for your needs.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
STD 2 piece extension for 2019 troopy, with 1/2” drive wobble joint, which fits on the extension end. Not sure how usable it would be with a drill, at that length though🤔.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:10:58 AM by bmwfreak »
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »

Keith
instead of coming in from teh back of the trailer, can you come in on the side? maybe make up a plate mount to steady it, use the car stand and :) :) :) is your uncle?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
2. Would I be better using a second hand Toyota bottle jack and modifying it with an extra long home made socket extension to run it off a battery drill?

This IMHO, plenty already come with a pretty long handle or you can buy extra extensions if needed, then you also still have a manual fail-safe if the electrics fail as well.

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
I'm saving my pennies for ARB Jack...at $1000 it ain't cheap.

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »
Hi,
   A wheel lifter strap and the ARB Hilift hydraulic jack would do the same as my setup. I would have gone that way, but the Jack won't  fit under the side overhang of the slide on camper on the ute tray.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk