Author Topic: Looking for a double fold camper...which one?  (Read 3819 times)

Offline AussieAnth

• Learning the Ropes
Looking for a double fold camper...which one?
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
Hi All

Im looking at a double fold, or fold/slide camper.  Have previously owned a Trak Shak, currently using a modified Skamper Kamper Ranger XL with no tent on it (just a family tent on the ground), and now want to speed things up and prepare for future family touring as well as local weekend getaways.  Will definitely be 2nd hand to get best bang for buck.  Budget is $15-$20k.  Tow vehicle is a Mitsubishi Triton MN.  I'm pretty handy with mods, especially water & 12v, and can do basic cabinetry and wood work, etc.

My criteria is 2 internal large beds (we have 3 young kids), water and gas plumbed outdoor kitchen, good 12v system with minimum 2 batteries, easy setup, and if possible, a bike rack or place to attach bikes.
Wifes criteria is internal storage. She hopes that by having lots of internal drawers, like a Jayco Swan, we'll somehow simplify camping and reduce the pack up and down time.

So far I'm keen on:

Ezytrail Lincoln Mk2 - Have been through a new one at the showroom.  Really liked it overall.
MDC Robson XTT - Saw new one in the show room.  Quite wide, but would tick all my boxes.
Lumberjack Otway or Allendale.  Havent seen one up close yet. Not sure if the quality is there. 

Not keen on Black Series.  Any comments on the above 3, or suggestions on others?

2007 Trak Shak

Offline Let560

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Looking for a double fold camper...which one?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
We have a Stoney creek ff6, it has everything you mention even added bonus of shower built in to on one side. It's front fold rear slide so main bed is basic a King and the rear slide is a queen. We brought it second hand and and only had a couple of small issues and the only other thing it's a bit heavy but other then that been a great camper

Offline glennyboy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 09:13:11 PM »
I am tossing up between a Robson XTT and a Mars Space X...tough choice but leaning towards the MDC as things like hot water are all built in

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »
What about a 2nd hand cub drover ?
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"