Author Topic: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?  (Read 36666 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Set up for a week. The annexe is 6 x 2.5 - we had 8 people playing cards one night, no worries.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
The obligatory kitchen shot. It works really well. I like cooking and I hate rifling to find stuff. This stores everything well.
I've lost most the other photos, these were on the phone. Thanks again for the resizer.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
I should mention the Chinese innerspring mattress. It looks just like a mattress, feels more like a coral reef. After the first night I drove to Kempsey to buy a self inflator. Again, not exactly surprised as I had read a few reports about them.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 08:38:17 PM »
It looks just like a mattress, feels more like a coral reef.

Don't do that again. Snorting from laughing while drinking is not good.   ;D :cheers:

Love the analogy.  Felt a few motel beds like that. 

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline vxcruiser08

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »
I understand budget creep - I own boats ;)
Strangely on the camper the budget shrunk, but I am slowly getting to use some of the spare change. I have a 500mm pfc drawbar extension being manufactured and hot dipped at present.
The method of storage for the hot and cold water lines did my head in, so an afternoon with john guest fittings, a step drill and some stainless steel swarf burns later, we now have permanently plumbed hot and cold lines to the kitchen flick mixer - much more satisfactory. I understand they are built to a price, so not whinging - I expected to do this mod at least.
I took some shots but ive been busy doing days and nights at work and in the meantime one of my trained ferrets at work managed to download an awesome encryption virus which is demanding $1200 to decrypt all my docs and photos. Needless to say I have a new computer and heaps less photos. If i can find a simple way to resize on the iphone or surface pro ill put some up.
I thought the winch system might be a bit of a gimmick, but it allows me to cruise around and tuck in the canvas on my own. I've seen one with an electric rtv winch and a remote control - thinking thinking....... I could use it to load the tinny as well.
Good luck with the search. $35k odd should nett you a decent second hand 'first tier manufacturer's' trailer.
Sounds like you're all over it. See, I suck at that sort of stuff and wouldn't have any idea how to fix all the little improvements required. I reckon you'll end up with a nice trailer mate. Looks like you've got some good plans and enjoying it.

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »
looking good
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .

Offline GU42T

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 12:24:35 AM »
GBC, some of your comments have cracked me up!
Love the mattress analogy!
Congratulations on your purchase, have seen them in the flesh at a couple of shows and for $20K you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Hope it does everything you need.

How were the little blacks? South West Rocks is a ripper destination!
Used to have a small Haines that we regularly spent time between Bermagui and SWR for five years, then sold the boat and got a house, still miss it.
Hate the bar there at SWR though..... Can be particularly nasty.

cheers,
Luke
Tug : '02 GU TD42T Wagon with some additions

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »
Cheers for the comments guys.
I usually take my fishing kayak with me to swr but this year a mate recently bought his first sea kayak so I took my sea kayak instead and we had lessons and did some touring and surfing in them. The blacks are getting thin on the ground by Easter, but the spotties and Spanish I saw come in were all quality. Some very nice snapper snaffling livies meant for pelagics on the inshore grounds as well. When my kids want to chase them I will organise the car topper to have some fun with them in a year or two. We will be chasing them at 1770 in October in the big boat though for sure.

Vxcruiser08 - yes I get that. I'm not overly keen on making mods to campers a hobby either, but being a builder I have the gear and can generally mcguyver something up to suit. I'd much rather spend time drinking grog in it than drilling holes under it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:05:43 AM by GBC »

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 07:36:06 AM »
I've also made up a roof canvas tensioning system which gets rid of a heap of braces.

the green bungee patented roof tensioning system.

GBC

Could you please give some more details of your canvas tensioning system (unless, of course, it's Commercial-in-Confidence  :D), as we're having a problem with rain pooling on the roof of our CT & something like this may help? 

I'd much rather spend time drinking grog in it than drilling holes under it.

Wouldn't we all!  :D  :cheers:

Graeme
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 07:59:08 AM »
Very tekinogical mate. They are 'grunt' heavy duty 1200mm bungees from Bunnings. They run from the bracing web in the bow up in the roof, and down to the floor.
I backed out one of the lining screws in the side and made up a simple loop from some 3mm spectra line I had lying about which the bungee hooks into.
I had a magnificent ratchet system dreamed up but the permanent solution got binned as soon as the temporary one worked as is often the case around here haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie, Mickthomas

Offline snowz88

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
The obligatory kitchen shot. It works really well. I like cooking and I hate rifling to find stuff. This stores everything well.
I've lost most the other photos, these were on the phone. Thanks again for the resizer.

So I just ordered mine the other week - Just wanted to ask if the BabyQ fit and travels as pictured?
Cheers
Simon

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
Yes mate. Sits there perfectly. I added a tie down point to strap it down so I can use it there or take it outside on the trolley - smoky little buggers.

Offline Mickthomas

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2016, 07:23:24 PM »
Hi, just picked our Cape York up on Saturday, opened it up just to have a look, and found that closing it is quite a mission!!!, I presume you use the winch to pull the floor back up, but i wasn't too keen on putting the strap over the top roof poles...would this bend them???? Also while folding up with all the poles backed off one seemed to look like it was twisting...guess it'll come naturally after time, just seemed strange the first time....

Anyone else come across this????

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
Hi Mick,
Yes, we have found the winch works well. One of the kids winds it and I duck around pushing in canvas. Or I do it on my own while they do whatever kids do.
The only bows we loosen are the one over the bed and the one at the other end. The others have never been touched and the tropical roof stays in place.
Definitely there shouldn't be any bending, bowing, jumping on lids or gnashing of teeth. Spend a bit of time watching where it all goes and it will all be good. we pull the mattress back about 200mm and that creates a great spot for the first bow and all the nose canvas. Ours got a fair belting last trip and loved it. Dust proofing was tested along with corrugations, rain and sleet proofing.  I got the bearings serviced and the mech said "nothing to see here" - 12 inch brakes and parallel bearings do the business no worries - same setup as the vans so doing it easy on the campers.
I've recently upgraded my Andersen feed circuit breaker to 50a - I believe mdc are doing this as standard now - $6 well spent.
I'm also looking at building a tray around the fridge to make better use of the available space - I run a 60 evakool in a 110 litre space.
Next job is to make an outboard motor mount behind the spare tyre on the swing away.
Enjoy yours. Feel free to keep firing questions and ideas. The Facebook owners page has more good stuff and plenty of current trip blogs to follow.
Sorry, I also added pinchweld to the slide out kitchen pantry openings last weekend. If you leave the kitchen out with no awning the condensation can run in. Pinchweld prevents this. Also if camped at 1500m in July, fill the kettle the night before because the water lines will freeze, along with toothpaste, olive oil etc etc. i didn't need extra help to prove I'm a grumpy bastard without a morning coffee. I'll have to resize some photos and put them up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:37:44 PM by GBC »
The following users thanked this post: Mickthomas

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
Congrats and glad to hear everyone is happy with their purchase.
I'm picking mine up in a few weeks. Got the kids room as well for the quick stops. I went the silver so the scratches and dirt don't show that bad.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:35:06 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Mickthomas

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
all the best and good luck...will see you around the tracks ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »
all the best and good luck...will see you around the tracks ;D ;D ;D

Here is where it will be camped most weekends, unless the Mrs/kids want to go elsewhere. 10 acres on the Goulburn river in Jamieson  :D :D
Feel free to drop in for a can or two  :cheers:

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:10 PM »
Kids room? I wonder if one will go on mine? I think I'd like one of those. I've never heard of them.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2016, 07:56:16 PM »
Kids room? I wonder if one will go on mine? I think I'd like one of those. I've never heard of them.

They changed the canvas about 2 months back and added a zip and valcro to add one on. I asked about 2 months ago and they said NO. Went and had another look a few weeks ago and they added one on so I brought one.

You would need to change your canvas or somehow attach the zip etc.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
Any tent repairer worth their salt would make an easy job of it.
Just have to make access through the wall for the extra tentage.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2016, 07:58:16 AM »
Showed the boss and she said we don't need it because - 'she's happy with the setup as it is'. Just thought I'd capture the moment for posterity (and evidence) - It doesn't happen often when it comes to the wife and camping haha.

Offline warrenm

• Tent User
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »
I understand budget creep - I own boats ;)
Strangely on the camper the budget shrunk, but I am slowly getting to use some of the spare change. I have a 500mm pfc drawbar extension being manufactured and hot dipped at present.
The method of storage for the hot and cold water lines did my head in, so an afternoon with john guest fittings, a step drill and some stainless steel swarf burns later, we now have permanently plumbed hot and cold lines to the kitchen flick mixer - much more satisfactory. I understand they are built to a price, so not whinging - I expected to do this mod at least.
I took some shots but ive been busy doing days and nights at work and in the meantime one of my trained ferrets at work managed to download an awesome encryption virus which is demanding $1200 to decrypt all my docs and photos. Needless to say I have a new computer and heaps less photos. If i can find a simple way to resize on the iphone or surface pro ill put some up.
I thought the winch system might be a bit of a gimmick, but it allows me to cruise around and tuck in the canvas on my own. I've seen one with an electric rtv winch and a remote control - thinking thinking....... I could use it to load the tinny as well.
Good luck with the search. $35k odd should nett you a decent second hand 'first tier manufacturer's' trailer.
You mentioned an "extension for your drawbar" do you have any pics?

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
Couple of angles. It had a fair workout last trip with no ill effect. The new electric jockey wheel is also in the photo. For me it's for moving it around in the garage and hooking it up. My garage floor has fall and parking is tight. I can't see it coming on holidays with us.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:57:48 PM by GBC »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »
Power supply to the front of the trailer. It runs the jockey wheel and will charge the car up when the trailer is plugged into power. The normal Anderson plug is isolated by the projecta dc charger which necessitated this.

Offline warrenm

• Tent User
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:01 PM »
Thanks