Author Topic: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?  (Read 36653 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 07:16:06 AM »
For those who assisted, thank you. I put a deposit on one yesterday. it should be ready for the Easter hols.

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
 :cup:
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Bailey

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 12:23:34 PM »
Nice. What swayed you to buy it?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »
This thread, of course!
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »
Haha, yes next order of business is to work out where the 'ignore member' button is.
Main reason was outlay vs perceived fit out level. I spent $20k less than my next choice. Time will tell now if I have saved $20k or blown $20k.
Just became a member of the owners group and there's page after page of happy owners so I'm feeling ok about my decision.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
For those who assisted, thank you. I put a deposit on one yesterday. it should be ready for the Easter hols.
Congrats on your new purchase. Looking forward to reading your review in a couple of months. You would be hard pressed to find a better buy for $20k hard floor CT  :cheers:

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
Congrats on the purchase  :cup:

If it fits you and your budget than thats all that matters.

We didnt buy our trailer cause it is 'Aussie Built", we bought it cause it suited us and what we wanted out of a trailer. :cheers:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Lazybugger

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »
$20k saved you say .... Maybe you could spend that on carbon :cheers: you know what i am talkin about  ;D ;D

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
Haha. She'd have my balls mate. The old py kingfisher with a sail goes ok. The boat rack on this one was a big part of the decision. 2 yaks and a few pushys up there no problem at all. Swr for Easter chasing billys 👍

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
Well done GBC.  Many years ago there may have been numerous concerns however they really appear to be improving their quality.  I will seriously look at something similar when we upgrade.

Cheers
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
Good on ya sir, Im sure ypu wont be dissapointed.
SWMBO and I have been climbing in and around the MDC X12.
Thinking it may be the way to go when we upgrade.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »

Congrats on the purchase.

We all buy what we can afford and you will always add extras as you need them.

Happy travels.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline powerd

• Sleeping Bag User
  • I think I have automotive ADHD!
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 09:08:04 PM »
Congrats on your purchase.  I am sure you will have a great time with it.

I have just picked up my MDC Cruizer forward fold.  I chose it because a FF suits my needs and I was very impressed with the build quality, strength, equipment and value. I had a custom built, ?strong but very basic soft floor for some years so knew what I wanted and to look for.  I also took along two mates to show who were ex trades, had off road and camper experience, and owned campers/caravans.  In our view nothing came close up to $40k, the finish and equipment on all but the expensive ($45k) plus Aussie ones was disappointing.

EDIT:  CamperTrailer Australia was so impressed with the Venturer LX Cape York (rear fold version of mine, very similar) that it awarded it outright Camper Trailer of the Year 2016. I can understand why. It really does turn the whole China vs Australian thing on its head. I really don't want to start a battle here - at the next show, just go and look for yourself or go to their showroom.

I haven't taken it away yet, just brought it back from Sydney in heavy rain and set it up.  Excellent so far.  I will be living in it for a while after I sell my house and travelling extensively including serious off road.  Recent feedback from owners suggests they handle it very very well. Quality at MDC has improved dramatically over the last two years.

Happy travels.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:49:31 PM by powerd »
I have never met a kilowatt I didn't love
In the driveway - '01 Jackaroo 3.5, '95, '11 Skoda Superb V6 AWD wagon, '01 Holden Astra and '11 Triumph Sprint GT. 
In repose, 1978 Jaguar XJS and 1974 Jaguar XJ6 w/ V8

Offline Purdz

• Swag User
  • DOT 7 Camper DOT325
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 12:34:58 AM »
I'm thinking of undertaking a similar venture. I want to get out of my soft floor and into a hard floor. Keen to see your review soon. Keep us posted. This model is appealing for many reasons. The ball weight seems a lot though...

Best of luck

Offline Purdz

• Swag User
  • DOT 7 Camper DOT325
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 05:30:34 AM »
Just had a really good look at the cape York model recently. There are some really great features on it, however I was disappointed with the quality of the fit and finish.

The idea of the trailer is brilliant, but I believe it would be better if the quality control team were a bit more stringent.

Still keen to hear your review.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »
Interesting. ..  what parts of it were crap?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.
The following users thanked this post: 4runnernomore

Offline vxcruiser08

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
Any more feedback on these campers? I spoke to Kenno today (from LowRange/MDC) and he was a great help and genuinely believes the new releases are a result from many learnings and R&D from his trips.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
Sitting in mine in the pouring rain at south west rocks at the moment. Perfectly dry and happy. Everything works as it should. I will probably make up a 500mm pfc drawbar extension to bring the ball weight geometry back in line with my mates trailers. Aussie swag ultra e on one side and a aor export on the other side. The ranger tows it fine as it is, I just need to fiddle. I've also made up a roof canvas tensioning system which gets rid of a heap of braces. I've added a portable 120w panel which backs up the fixed panel - we are camped in the shade. The fridge power cigarette plug system went quickly but they have to supply something and ciggy plugs are universal. Running on spade connectors now. I also had a spare 120 agm the same size as existing and there was a spare spot ready to fit it so that makes 3 x batteries which smooths things out. The fridge, water pump and a couple of led strips hits nearly 10a! I am very happy with the trailer thus far.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:46:08 PM by GBC »

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:47 AM »
Congrats mate, got any pics  ;D

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »
I'll have to resize them off the computer when I get home.

Offline vxcruiser08

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Keep us posted, It's a nice camper! I was keen on the MDC until I went to the camp show this week to review their products and talk to the sales people in person. I even spoke to Kenno on the phone last week however at the end of the day he still works for them. There are a few reasons (sales people, quality of finish etc, and the amount of issues posted in the FB groups). Needless to say my budget has now increased by 10-15k as I was just a little concerned on the durability of one in the outback for months on end. I won't be just doing the odd weekend trip, now to confuse myself with more research and reviews!

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
I understand budget creep - I own boats ;)
Strangely on the camper the budget shrunk, but I am slowly getting to use some of the spare change. I have a 500mm pfc drawbar extension being manufactured and hot dipped at present.
The method of storage for the hot and cold water lines did my head in, so an afternoon with john guest fittings, a step drill and some stainless steel swarf burns later, we now have permanently plumbed hot and cold lines to the kitchen flick mixer - much more satisfactory. I understand they are built to a price, so not whinging - I expected to do this mod at least.
I took some shots but ive been busy doing days and nights at work and in the meantime one of my trained ferrets at work managed to download an awesome encryption virus which is demanding $1200 to decrypt all my docs and photos. Needless to say I have a new computer and heaps less photos. If i can find a simple way to resize on the iphone or surface pro ill put some up.
I thought the winch system might be a bit of a gimmick, but it allows me to cruise around and tuck in the canvas on my own. I've seen one with an electric rtv winch and a remote control - thinking thinking....... I could use it to load the tinny as well.
Good luck with the search. $35k odd should nett you a decent second hand 'first tier manufacturer's' trailer.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »
I understand budget creep - I own boats ;)

You might have that boat bit backwards  ;D

There is an app called simple resize on iOS that is great for resizing photos for forum use

Simple Resize by tekunodo.
https://appsto.re/au/7HxIt.i

No association, just use it all the time.

Cheers

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »
Test. You beauty. Thanks for that. Shot with the side rolled up of the bunks and the green bungee patented roof tensioning system.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:09:34 PM by GBC »
The following users thanked this post: Mickthomas

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
Battery bank plus the spare odyssey