Author Topic: Re: Batten down the hatches Vic  (Read 465537 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Batten down the hatches Vic
« Reply #1750 on: June 10, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »
that would have been some trip last night if they went!

Bad weather forces Spirit of Tasmania to stay in Melbourne
https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/7291553/spirit-of-tasmania-delayed-due-to-bad-weather/

The Spirit of Tasmania didn't sail across the Bass Strait from Melbourne on Wednesday night on account of bad weather, a spokesman said.

A Spirit of Tasmania spokesman said the departure of Spirit number two from Melbourne was delayed due to bad whether, while Spirit number one was in Port Phillip Bay waiting to berth as soon as the other vessel is able to set sail.

The spokesman said more information on the expected arrival times into Devonport and the extent of the delays would be available later on Thursday.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1751 on: June 10, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
Licola Road
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #1752 on: June 11, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
We won't have power till at least Sunday. Chainsaws during the day, gennies of a night

Sent from .............. Somewhere in Australia

Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #1754 on: June 11, 2021, 02:52:38 PM »
Powering us and the 2 neighbor's fridges and chargers.
Got my electrician coming today to modify my septic system for generator power. Otherwise one could be knee deep in S..t

Sent from .............. Somewhere in Australia

Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1755 on: June 11, 2021, 03:47:50 PM »
the reason i bought a 3.5 recently.

Although, our Shitter system is just an old turd powered early system.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 04:05:51 PM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1756 on: June 11, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
Please stay safe down there, everybody! :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1757 on: June 11, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »
Went down to check out Cowarr weir this arvo and I was gob smacked. The power of nature never fails to impress. The water level is low right now because they've opened the gates. The pic with the sign in it....there is normally a nice grassed area for about 30-40 metres to the water. Southern Rural Water is currently flat out trying to clear the blockage of logs at the weir but the clean up to the reserve will take months.
 I also shot down to Walhalla for a sticky beak and that too is looking a bit second hand. About 1/4 of the road is washed away in front of the Star hotel and the same in front of the long tunnel entrance. The water levels through there were....just...wow. You cannot fail to be amazed at the power of nature.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1758 on: June 11, 2021, 04:47:16 PM »
Here's another one of Cowarr

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1759 on: June 11, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
Here's another one of Cowarr

Farkles!?!!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Re: Batten down the hatches Vic
« Reply #1760 on: June 11, 2021, 07:10:09 PM »
Just back from my folks place down the coast, they had been without power since Wednesday evening. This morning Ausnet were estimating Sunday 1pm for power restoration. They have power for everything so no cooking or heating. I figured 2 cold nights was enough for a couple of 80+ year old's and I was planning to bring them to my place until the power was restored.  As luck would have it a couple of hours after I turned up the power was restored. There are so many trees down and water in places I have never seen it. Big shout out to the SES and other crews out there working hard to clear the mess up.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Re: Re: Batten down the hatches Vic
« Reply #1761 on: June 11, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »
Quote from: D4
Big shout out to the SES and other crews out there working hard to clear the mess up.

agree

more coming though
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1762 on: June 11, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
I'm at a little town of Tyers, north of Traralgon. Lost power 6pm Wednesday. Someone at SPAusnet has thrown a dart at the clock and posted on their website that it will be back on at 1pm Sunday. Lucky we have gas stove, wood heater and gravity fed tank water, but don't know how long the electrically heated hotwater will last. Just like camping, but without having to pack up wet tent.
First callout with CFA at about 530am Thursday was to a neighbouring locality with a downed power line starting a fire. Left the fire going (it was struggling to keep going) so we could see where the live line was. Taped the area off and left the local brigade to guard the area until SPAust could get there to make safe, and we made ourselves available for other calls.
Headed back to station, but whilst stopped to clear a fallen tree off road got summoned to the Mantra building in Traralgon due to fire alarms going off and all other appliances already at other jobs.
Got there to find a heap of SES dudes mulling around. We thought this is alright. They'll have everything under control because none of us country bumkins knew anything about these fandangled alarm systems, but as we got out of truck we realised they were all standing around watching their cars bob around in the underground car park.
Ironically sent there to manage the probable emergency event, and some bean counter put them up in the only hotel in town with an underground carpark, right beside the creek that was going to flood. Hotel was only opened this year.
The Traralgon Creek is normally 0.5m high. It was 1.5m at 5am, and reached 5.3m at about 7am when we were at Mantra. I think it peaked at about 5.6m at lunchtimish.
Got talking to a maintenance guy, asking what he was up to - he had no idea. He'd got there at 630am to check out a water leak in one of the upper floors, parked in the LOWER basement with the rest of the employees without any issues, came out at 645am when alarms were going off to find the UPPER basement 1/2 metre under water. I think his ute might be the one featured on 7 news Facebook, bobbing around in underground carpark, until the security camera goes under water as well.
One of son's friends lives in Traralgon near creek. His wife went to work at about 530am without any issue. He got up at 630am to find 100mm of water through his house, and his run around car on street with water half way up windows. Luckily his recently purchased GQ (with only 150,000km on clock, only driven to church on Sundays) was parked in carport and only had water just over door sills. Needs a good clean out, but hopefully should be fine.

The numbers say this is a big flood. I think it has peaked a little higher than the last BIG BIG flood that I can remember from about 1997.
Heard somewhere tnat Baw Baw got 230mm. All to come down Latrobe and Thomson. This is what would of got Walhalla as well.

East Gippsland was spared the worst of it, with only "normal" flooding.

Evacuation alert broadcast for Traralgon again this arvo with another 80mm forecast for catchment.

Lots of facebook desktop warriors harping on about money greedy developers and councils shouldn't allow building in flood prone areas, but looking at various aerial and drone footage it looks like the majority of the flooded area is all the older areas that were built before anyone established building restrictions in flood zones, and historically get flooded every 25 to 50 years.
Most of the new developments look barely affected, but water is lapping at their back fences. Dare I say maybe the new engineers got the heights sort of right.

To top off yesterday, when I headed home from fire station found I had flat tyre. Must of picked up a little bit of shrapnel from a dead wattle that I had to drive around on way to fire station.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1763 on: June 11, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
I'm at a little town of Tyers, north of Traralgon. Lost power 6pm Wednesday. Someone at SPAusnet has thrown a dart at the clock and posted on their website that it will be back on at 1pm Sunday. Lucky we have gas stove, wood heater and gravity fed tank water, but don't know how long the electrically heated hotwater will last. Just like camping, but without having to pack up wet tent.
First callout with CFA at about 530am Thursday was to a neighbouring locality with a downed power line starting a fire. Left the fire going (it was struggling to keep going) so we could see where the live line was. Taped the area off and left the local brigade to guard the area until SPAust could get there to make safe, and we made ourselves available for other calls.
Headed back to station, but whilst stopped to clear a fallen tree off road got summoned to the Mantra building in Traralgon due to fire alarms going off and all other appliances already at other jobs.
Got there to find a heap of SES dudes mulling around. We thought this is alright. They'll have everything under control because none of us country bumkins knew anything about these fandangled alarm systems, but as we got out of truck we realised they were all standing around watching their cars bob around in the underground car park.
Ironically sent there to manage the probable emergency event, and some bean counter put them up in the only hotel in town with an underground carpark, right beside the creek that was going to flood. Hotel was only opened this year.
The Traralgon Creek is normally 0.5m high. It was 1.5m at 5am, and reached 5.3m at about 7am when we were at Mantra. I think it peaked at about 5.6m at lunchtimish.
Got talking to a maintenance guy, asking what he was up to - he had no idea. He'd got there at 630am to check out a water leak in one of the upper floors, parked in the LOWER basement with the rest of the employees without any issues, came out at 645am when alarms were going off to find the UPPER basement 1/2 metre under water. I think his ute might be the one featured on 7 news Facebook, bobbing around in underground carpark, until the security camera goes under water as well.
One of son's friends lives in Traralgon near creek. His wife went to work at about 530am without any issue. He got up at 630am to find 100mm of water through his house, and his run around car on street with water half way up windows. Luckily his recently purchased GQ (with only 150,000km on clock, only driven to church on Sundays) was parked in carport and only had water just over door sills. Needs a good clean out, but hopefully should be fine.

The numbers say this is a big flood. I think it has peaked a little higher than the last BIG BIG flood that I can remember from about 1997.
Heard somewhere tnat Baw Baw got 230mm. All to come down Latrobe and Thomson. This is what would of got Walhalla as well.

East Gippsland was spared the worst of it, with only "normal" flooding.

Evacuation alert broadcast for Traralgon again this arvo with another 80mm forecast for catchment.

Lots of facebook desktop warriors harping on about money greedy developers and councils shouldn't allow building in flood prone areas, but looking at various aerial and drone footage it looks like the majority of the flooded area is all the older areas that were built before anyone established building restrictions in flood zones, and historically get flooded every 25 to 50 years.
Most of the new developments look barely affected, but water is lapping at their back fences. Dare I say maybe the new engineers got the heights sort of right.

To top off yesterday, when I headed home from fire station found I had flat tyre. Must of picked up a little bit of shrapnel from a dead wattle that I had to drive around on way to fire station.
glad you guys are alright... not much consolation for many though :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Harbourmaster

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1764 on: June 11, 2021, 11:56:15 PM »
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you Brij. Reckon you'd get a pretty good scope of the flooding from the lookout up from your place too. Stay safe mate.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1765 on: June 12, 2021, 09:48:36 AM »
cant imagine what these poor buggers are going through..

A Latrobe Valley town that was flooded on Thursday is being told to evacuate again due to fears the nearby creek could swell by two metres, as 68,000 Victorian homes enter the weekend still without power.

But weather authorities had cancelled severe warnings for parts of Gippsland on Saturday, which had forced the closure of the Yallourn coal mine on Friday night.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/traralgon-told-to-evacuate-again-due-to-flood-risk-68-000-homes-still-without-power-20210612-p580fl.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:14:16 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1766 on: June 12, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »
Looks a bit like the Lockyer Valley in 2011.

Hard for folks to recover from, both dollars wise and mentally.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1767 on: June 12, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
Wow, I didn't realise how bad it was down there or the amount of rain that was had.  :o :'(

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1768 on: June 12, 2021, 02:43:35 PM »
Wow, I didn't realise how bad it was down there or the amount of rain that was had.  :o :'(

Foo
poor bastards had more today...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1769 on: June 12, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
poor bastards had more today...

Fork!  :o

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1770 on: June 13, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »
Global warming.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1771 on: June 14, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »
This'll keep the SES busy
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1772 on: June 14, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »
This'll keep the SES busy

That’s just tor the next Vic MySwag meet isn’t it?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1773 on: June 14, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
Quote from: plusnq
That’s just tor the next Vic MySwag meet isn’t it?

surprised scotty hasnt headed down with the chainsaw... that'd make a scotty size fire.... :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1774 on: June 14, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
Couple of wraps of detcord or shearcord would fix that sucker. It'd be a tricky one to saw through.