Author Topic: The Random Question of the Day Thread...  (Read 325830 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: The Random Question of the Day Thread...
« Reply #1575 on: September 07, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
I have to run a single patch cable to my son's new gaming PC ... as my son thinks gaming over wi-fi constitutes an emergency ... running it under the house where I have plenty of room to crawl around.

The question I have is, seeing that it's your son who "needs" this cable, why are you crawling round under the house ??? >:D ::)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1576 on: September 07, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
The question I have is, seeing that it's your son who "needs" this cable, why are you crawling round under the house ??? >:D ::)

That is a very good question and one I have asked myself a number of times. I do not have a good answer...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #1577 on: September 07, 2021, 11:15:50 AM »
That is a very good question and one I have asked myself a number of times. I do not have a good answer...

A few years back, when my daughter and fiance were renting one of our rentals, he (fiance) wanted a TV outlet in the bedroom. I figured it was a good idea, especially as they weren't married yet. But I told him I was too old to be crawling around under houses, so he'd have to run the cable.. All good, he said he didn't mind.

Well the house is about 800mm off the ground, and it was very dry and dusty under there. While he was down there he yelled out... "Hey that bloody rabbit that's been eating the garden is living under here".

So being a helpful kind of bloke, I yelled out.. "Hang on, I'll help you catch it".. So I threw his dog under there. It was a blue heeler cross and absolutely hated that rabbit...  >:D.

After a few minutes of furious growling, scurrying and swearing, the rabbit bolted out, hotly pursued by the dog, then this dark brown dusty figure, with a couple of white spots where his eyes were, slowly emerged... He weren't very happy LOL.

Funniest thing I'd seen in a while though...  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1578 on: September 07, 2021, 01:55:33 PM »
We all have 100's of photos from days gone by, kids, childhood, parents, holidays, sports, hobbies etc...

We go to great lengths to store them so you dont lose them etc. Cloud backups, NAS, DVD's etc

How often do you really go through and look at all your old photos?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:57:11 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1579 on: September 07, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »
We all have 100's of photos from days gone by, kids, childhood, parents, holidays, sports, hobbies etc...

We go to great lengths to store them so you dont lose them etc. Cloud backups, NAS, DVD's etc

i don't look at them often, but when i do, i am instantly glad that i spent the time to keep them and back them up.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1580 on: September 07, 2021, 02:15:12 PM »

Only good way to look at old photos is to look at the old photos. Computer screens etc doesn’t do it for me.
Unfortunately, since converting memory sticks to photos became expensive, computer screens is all we got for photos post 2000 approx.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1581 on: September 07, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
i don't look at them often, but when i do, i am instantly glad that i spent the time to keep them and back them up.

x2

On a similar topic, the other day my sister-in-law returned an old laptop I had loaned her. It was running Win7 that's how old it was. When she returned it she said 'oh there's some pictures' on it. Wife instantly wonders what sort of 'pictures' they were. For a minute I was sh!tting myself :). I fired the laptop up and in the end found over 16Gb of family pics, some were hers, some were ours and some were from our neighbours. Buggered if I know how that happened.

Oh and my son's new gaming pc turned up about 30 minutes after I finished running the data cable. No bandages required.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline 2Strokeit

• Tent User
« Reply #1582 on: September 07, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »
Is this the BGS you guys are always visiting?

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1583 on: September 08, 2021, 06:51:04 AM »

Sad reality is that with everyone storing their pictures digitally, we will one day reach a point where that history is lost forever. Who can still read a floppy disc, or a 3" hard disk, or even a CD/DVD? what's to say in 10 years time you will be able to read a USB, and what happens if the cloud ever evaporates?

Museums are full of historical photos, many of which started life as a family snapshot. Many of those pictures came from a box in grandma's cupboard that moved through the generations as people pass on. When you're gone, will your inheritors be able to access your cloud account? or even bother to open a USB found in the bottom of a draw?

Preserve your family history by using the technology available now to create some photographic story books of life's events & great adventures. A bookshelf full of pictorial story books has a far greater chance of being looked at (and preserved) than a couple of random USB's in a draw or an inaccessible cloud account.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1584 on: September 08, 2021, 07:08:36 AM »
Preserve your family history by using the technology available now to create some photographic story books of life's events & great adventures. A bookshelf full of pictorial story books has a far greater chance of being looked at (and preserved) than a couple of random USB's in a draw or an inaccessible cloud account.

unfortunately, pictorial books with actual photographs, even done properly, do not last that long.

passing down a USB/HDD of photos is no different to passing down a box of photos.  either way, someone has to bother to go and look at them.

at least in electronic format, there is little to no degradation (depending on the file format) and can be easily backed up and transferred to new media.

having them stored in cloud accounts is a different kettle of fish.  i see your point about that becoming inaccessible, if the proper steps aren't taken to allow access.

there are plenty of creative ways to create digital pictorial books nowadays...

The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1585 on: September 08, 2021, 08:03:55 AM »
Sad reality is that with everyone storing their pictures digitally, we will one day reach a point where that history is lost forever. Who can still read a floppy disc, or a 3" hard disk, or even a CD/DVD? what's to say in 10 years time you will be able to read a USB, and what happens if the cloud ever evaporates?

We're still good for CD/DVD ;D but agree with you entirely.

Son was given a book about aircraft in the Smithsonian Museum. Blurb at the front of it says that they don't take any digital photos at all - everything is on "real" film & negative, as they know that they can preserve photos & negatives for at least 100-200 years!

The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1586 on: September 08, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »
Have a computer in the corner I can't bring myself to throw out. I can do 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" floppy disks, sorry find your own 8" disk drive. Even got a beta video in the cupboard to copy the beta videos I have. Needs fixed again to be able to do it but one day......

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1587 on: September 08, 2021, 07:04:08 PM »

On a similar topic, the other day my sister-in-law returned an old laptop I had loaned her. It was running Win7 that's how old it was.
I'm still running win 7 and yes, still gets updates.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1588 on: September 08, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »
How come on Aussie Gold Hunters they are 1000 miles from the nearest settlement yet can always get a good enough phone signal to send a pic of a prize nugget their significant other?

Our place in Wales is seven miles from the nearest town and I can’t even ring my mum, never mind send her a pic of a prize nugget.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1589 on: September 08, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »
I think you answered your own question, move from Wales to Australia and get great phone reception with Telstra (and get terrible customer service)

Sent from me

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1590 on: September 08, 2021, 10:17:20 PM »
I think you answered your own question, move from Wales to Australia and get great phone reception with Telstra (and get terrible customer service)

Sent from me

Last week got onto a chat line with Telstra to get a simple thing done……bought a $2 SIM card for a new phone…went from a micro to a nano sim. $70/yr pre paid plan.  Wanted to transfer the plan and existing number to new sim.

3 1/2 hrs later…all sorted.  :D

After the 1st hour, was told they can’t transfer a pre paid from one sim to another…..said I wanted to talk to her boss ( she was in India or some other far flung country )…..got a supervisor of some sort….another hour and he says can’t do it ?? 
Told him I was pretty pi**ed by now…..he said as a gesture of goodwill he can put me on a new $70/yr plan….more data and minutes and dated from August ( I gained an extra 3 mths ).

So I had a win against Telstra….for something that should have taken 5 minutes…. :cup:

2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1591 on: September 09, 2021, 05:49:11 AM »
Should have gone to one of the small phone shops, some have a little punch, that can reduce the size of the old SIM card
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1592 on: September 11, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »
I thought people had long given up on 6x6 conversions... affordable? doubt it LOL

https://www.bossaluminium.com.au/gvm-upgrade/boss-6x6-conversion/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1593 on: September 11, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »
I thought people had long given up on 6x6 conversions... affordable? doubt it LOL

https://www.bossaluminium.com.au/gvm-upgrade/boss-6x6-conversion/

Just watched the YouTube link. Certainly some quality built in to these modification. With that comes a quality price. That is why our manufacturing has gone overseas because nobody wants to pay for it.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #1594 on: September 11, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1595 on: September 11, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
Here is one for you Bird, already to go  ;D

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-toyota-landcruiser-vx-auto-4x4/SSE-AD-7349092/?Cr=0

GG
Glovebox money for u... :D

there was one in one of the early outback challenges.. it was useless once it got into tight 4x4 terrain, it got too much drive for the steering - others drove through the section , this poor dude had a 6 point turn...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1596 on: September 13, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
Glovebox money for u... :D

there was one in one of the early outback challenges.. it was useless once it got into tight 4x4 terrain, it got too much drive for the steering - others drove through the section , this poor dude had a 6 point turn...

I remember that..........late 90s ................

6x6 on a 79 cruiser..............how to create a Shite turning circle in a global effort......... ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:19:37 PM by doc evil »
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1597 on: September 14, 2021, 04:44:34 AM »
When did workout wear for girls become going to the shops wear?

Yesterday at the shops with my Mum, the number of girls in workout gear.
Not just a few either..... bloody near all of 'em.

But the best/worse/weird one was the chick in white.

Walking towards me with the gait of a wharfie..... holy Shit.

It left NOTHING to the imagination AT ALL.
Looked like two mice fighting over a peanut.  :o

I must be getting old i think...... whilst i didn't find it offensive, it was a bit out there for the local shops.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:16:29 PM by Jillsy »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.
The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1598 on: September 14, 2021, 07:41:54 AM »
& don't forget, Jeeps - as a man (& a dirty, old, one at that! >:D), you're not allowed to even see them, you've got to ignore what they're wearing, & blank all their images out of your brain! ::)

But it certainly does raise the question - if you don't want people to look at you & think "Wow!" then why wear get-up like that, especially to the shops ???

The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1599 on: September 14, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
I think it was in the States a few days back/last week, some chick wanted to board a plane in a thong bikini.  ???

Most guys are pretty much ok i think, but why flaunt ya self, just in case, some creepy prick is around?
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.