Author Topic: Work place Redundency ???  (Read 10694 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Re: Work place Redundency ???
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
I was in a union once.. The TWU - what a farce they are.
I'd never join a union ever again
Presumably they didn't do enough for their members in your opinion. 
Moopla criticises unions for doing too much...

A bit hard to win...
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Quote from: barry1956
Presumably they didn't do enough for their members in your opinion

they did zero for us, they even refused to talk with is.. could it be the fact that the union rep and the second incharge both got new $200k prime movers?
The only contact we had was to threaten us 2 months after we got the arse with legal bullShit cause our fees were 2 weeks overdue... Sadly the Union rep didnt want to discuss it with us when we fronted him at CTAL, he took off and nearly bounced off a containership and would have landed in the water

again unions are a farce.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
they did zero for us, they even refused to talk with is.. could it be the fact that the union rep and the second incharge both got new $200k prime movers?
The only contact we had was to threaten us 2 months after we got the arse with legal bull**** cause our fees were 2 weeks overdue... Sadly the Union rep didnt want to discuss it with us when we fronted him at CTAL, he took off and nearly bounced off a containership and would have landed in the water

again unions are a farce.

So, you had a 'rep' and 'deputy' who were in the bosses pocket - in more ways than one...
In my union (ASU) the 'rep' is elected by the members in the workplace.  My members wouldn't stand for that sort of cr@p.

It has been said that a good reputation arrives on a snail and departs on a galloping horse.
I.e. a bad experience turns people off far faster than good experiences win support.
This is equally true for unions and employers.  (And in both cases the good and the bad get tarred with the same brush.)

My suggestion to those who are dissatisfied with their level of representation is for them to take on the role of union delegate.  That way you can be assured that the Union organisers / industrial officers are kept aware of issues before it is too late.  No doubt in your case the 'reps' would've made sure the organisers were kept in the dark.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline stepheng

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
I have accepted a VR and my last day is 30/11/12, I cant wait. I am a public servant and been there for 10 years but am so over it I jumkped at it. They arent offering that great a deal I am getting 2 weeks per year plus four weeks, ie 26 weeks....when you do the tax it works out to be more, so I am getting about 11 months salary..plus a good kick into the super.

I havent got a job, and have only started to look (not seriously) but in reality have a number of months up my sleeve. I was going to leave anyway and it depends upon your options, local employment and how your industry is going.

For me I am financially OK, got the Govt to pay for my MBA, Melb is not that bad employment wise and I work in health, which is a growing industry. I am taking the change, although my wife is a bit concerned.

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
just think of the time you can spend relaxing in your camper now Stephen. :-) hope it all goes well for you.
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
As Freddy Murcury once said " Another on bites the dust " - got my redundancy this morning I mite have enougth $ in my pay out  to last me a month
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
Thats a bugger ff.

I hope things improve for you.

Kind regards
Nomad.

Offline Big Tread

• Tent User
Work place Redundency ???
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
X2

Hope things work out.

Cheers
Big Tread

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
-----------------------------------------
2007 VX Prado
Tambo Omeo

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
I also was in TWU and interestingly enough, when I left Tooheys after 13.5 years I was still chasing my long service. The 2IC for the TWU was a driver at the brewery at the time and he said sorry he can't help me with this matter even when I had all my Group Certificate's as proof. During my service several transport managers had come and gone yet one left with a heap of files so they had lost everyones start dates. They tried to say I had only done 9.5 years. Then I remembered that the 2IC of the TWU's son was employed within the same fortnight as I. So I asked him if he had received his yet.
Hmmm shock horror, suddenly the TWU hit them hard.....I got my dues  ;D
Personally I see good and bad with the unions, if you have them backing you and theres no brown paper bags in their hand it usually gets an agreeable worthy solution.

Its just unfortunate that sometimes people (members) can get sold out.

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Put the money aside for a minute as you need to look at a few other things first

1. What is your age if you are close to retirement and a redundancy will get you over the line then go for it if not maybe read on

2. Where do you live what are the other employment opportunities like, what is your family situation like will you be able to travel for work if required
3. What are your skills now dont take offence you have been working with the same company for 20 years have you been doing the same job or different ones, when is the last time you did a training course related to what you do etc etc i.e do you have skills transferrable to different roles
4. What is your network like do you know people outside of where you work to leverage off and get connections a lot of jobs are not even advertised it is word of mouth
5. What industry are you in and is the industry itself struggling meaning will there be a flood of other people like yourself on the market that you will have to compete with
6. What is your drive and be honest with yourself finding a new job is a job so you need to be keen

Some food for thought before looking at the dollars
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
woo hoo just realised got time to go camping - beauty point here i come  -it is time to live up my name this fishfinder is going to prove himself wrong and will find fish in tassie

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

same same................... they have a place in society, but from my prospective they have caused more bad than good
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
Just got made redundant today.

Probably the best thing that could have happened, I was not happy there but too lazy to do anything about it.

Now they have made the decision for me. Had a quick look at seek this evening and have four jobs that look good, so hopeful that I will find something in the next 4 - 8 weeks.

In the mean time LB has a house husband!

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »
Just got made redundant today.

Probably the best thing that could have happened, I was not happy there but too lazy to do anything about it.

Now they have made the decision for me. Had a quick look at seek this evening and have four jobs that look good, so hopeful that I will find something in the next 4 - 8 weeks.

In the mean time LB has a house husband!

Bunyip
good luck