Author Topic: How do you secure (lock up) you camper while camping - Easter coming up  (Read 18093 times)

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
Hi all,
how do you lock up your camper when you are camping, I realise that if you are free camping I guess the worst nightmare would be to come back and find a clean sight with not even the trailer left there,
I have insurance for the worst but would rather not go there, but I do hear that it happens from campsites and even from the driveway at home.
I am thinking that a heavy duty chain around the wheels and along the axle with a big padlock under is about as good as it gets, and most of your gear locked away to stop the casual low life from walking thru and picking up and walking of
I have both fridges mounted in the vehicle as thats where we need the food when we arn't at camp for the day,
even our good Katmandu sleeping bags are not cheap to replace (even on special),
if they really want it they will take it anyway, maybee someone will come up with something I havn't thought of
what do you do?
cheers all and happy camping
Garry

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
If your free camping put out 2 cups . chairs at a table , stick a note on the tent that saya . " Hi Dave  Back soon , poped out to chech the scope on the 222 , wont be long ". That should do it . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hahahahaha beautiful Speewa, great idea!!
I suppose be aware and plan for the worst and hope for the best. I always say a dog is very good for this sort of security.
Otherwise just make sure you are familiar with the small print of your insurance. Some companies only cover equipment in the tent and not under the annex etc

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
A length of heavy stainless chain from the drawbar running into the annex with a large dried roo leg  bone from the pet shop outside the door  and a pair of thongs with chew marks punched in with a 6inch nail...... A pair of old size 14 blundstones on the ground.And the note about the 222 scope!
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
I have and use a Klamp It wheel lock: http://www.klampit.com.au/

It is a visual deterrent and would undoubtedly take some time and effort to remove without a key.

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
If your free camping put out 2 cups . chairs at a table , stick a note on the tent that saya . " Hi Dave  Back soon , poped out to chech the scope on the 222 , wont be long ". That should do it . :cheers:
Top idea,

I also run a lock through my trig Hitch

rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
If theives want it, it's gone no matter what you do.

Best to remove all valuable items. I leave the billy out, but I wouldn't leave a GPS on the kitchen bench if that makes sense.

Leave someone at camp, don't travel far etc. I don't think there is much you can do.

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
Camp on your own private property, no one for miles then. :cheers:
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
If theives want it, it's gone no matter what you do.

Best to remove all valuable items. I leave the billy out, but I wouldn't leave a GPS on the kitchen bench if that makes sense.

Leave someone at camp, don't travel far etc. I don't think there is much you can do.

X2

We put all our valuables in the car, gps, laptop, cameras and so on, not much else you can do really.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
I have and use a Klamp It wheel lock: http://www.klampit.com.au/

It is a visual deterrent and would undoubtedly take some time and effort to remove without a key.

I was thinking about one of these the other day & wondered if it wasn't thwarted by thieves by simply removing the entire wheel (what 5-6 nuts?) and replacing with the CT's own spare wheel before driving off. But perhaps the lock is more comprehensive than that?

As for me I'm actually so poor that sometimes when I return to camp I find donations waiting for me.  ;D

Cheers - Wayne

Regards - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: How do you secure (lock up) you camper while camping - Easter coming up
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
I went to my local motorbike shop and bought a lock similar to the link for around $60.00. Seeing it’s got a rubber coating I put it through the wheels, around the axel and then back around the wheel again.

Yes they can remove the springs/axel to get it off, but that takes time. Also even though my trailer is kept in a locked garage at home, I still keep it locked at all times. (Might be overkill, but seeing I have the lock may as well use it)

www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=816417873010738010320115915450124&select=0105b03&artikel=4003318051302m

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
X2

We put all our valuables in the car, gps, laptop, cameras and so on, not much else you can do really.

Baz.

Exactly what we do. If they really want in, they're going to smash the car window glass, and there's ways to do this quietly even in busy carparks/campgrounds. One day soon we're going to get a Diamond-T style box for the ute tray, then it will carry our irreplaceables. Surely a bolted down steel box is as good as it gets.

On our Lifestyle Extenda, we we leave it somewhere we just chuck anything of value (i.e. is of some value and that could be easily taken, and then on-sold at a 'Cashies' for a quick buck) inside the trailer, then just swing the back door shut and lock one of the locks on it - meanwhile all other external doors container gas, battery's etc remain shut but unlocked. Even with the back tail door shut and locked, people could still come in through the bed deck hatches inside. If they want to take the food, bits & pieces box, or filthy stove from the site, then good luck to them. They obviously need it more than us, or they're desperates and karma will bite them in the arse soon enough..

We also have a set of small luggage type padlocks to put on the door zippers, but these are more of a deterrent to the smash and grabbers as anything canvas etc is of course easily cut through. We put a lock on the DO35 hitch (it has a locking point) which renders it inoperable, but so don't bother with chaining wheels etc.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »
X2

Baz.
Same here.
If I have to worry about my stuff getting stolen I will just stay home.
Not a very relaxing camping experiance if I worry about my gear being pinched everytime I walk away from camp...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
We do as most others with a hitch pin lock and all valuables in the Patrol, the cooker is bolted to the kitchen and if they want the knifes and forks they can have them. We always go out adventuring and leave the camper for long periods of time, so far we have not had any problems. I also know a good place to get some cables to keep other things safe if needed 8)

GG

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
KISS ... the simple answer is to go camping with no valuables at all.  Leave them at home or lock them in the car out of view.  You can do what I do, and that is take them with you when you go walking away from the camper.  Yep, usually it's just the camera I care about, as it has all my memories contained within ... everything else is replaceable ... it might be annoying, but they are all easily replaced.  Laptop passwords are easily bypassed, most camping equipment is easily removed and is hard to trace by cops.

Alternately, paint everything in a garish hippie pattern, forcing theives to look elsewhere for less easily identifyable goods.

At home, we use a "screamer" (otherwise known as a Cuda motion alarm), Klamps, heavy chains and highly rated locks, a hitch lock and a BCDKATS (Blue Cattle Dog Keyless Anti-Theft System), but these are really only deterents for the honest guy who will think it's too much hassle to get passed the dog first.  I have considered coating the CT in Dots, but you can paint over them with fantastic success alas, so not really worth the money unless you can get them somewhere inside the chassis, but then how does the nice police man see them?

Kit_e

P.S.  We do have lockable boxes all over the place as an alternative (on both car and camper).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:36:59 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

crackacoldie

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »
Like many others we do not leave any valuables in the camper, they are locked in the car or taken with us.  I also have a Treg locking pin to make sure the camper is still there when we get back.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Ray-C

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
This is where I like the adventure campers I lock everything up in the storage space and the Kitchen. Where it is out of sight .  then go to bed. If anyone wants to get in then there will be no stopping them.    :cheers:
C:\Users\Ray\Pictures\2010-08-01 tom price\tom price 017 email.JPG

Offline wiseone

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
This is where I like the adventure campers I lock everything up in the storage space and the Kitchen. Where it is out of sight .  then go to bed. If anyone wants to get in then there will be no stopping them.    :cheers:

Ditto

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
wondered if it wasn't thwarted by thieves by simply removing the entire wheel (what 5-6 nuts?) and replacing with the CT's own spare wheel
Regards - Wayne

Access to the wheel nuts is next to impossible with the steel plate that covers them....

Whilst I don't believe that this or anything for that matter is 100% secure it sure makes it less attractive and hopefully the would be thieves move on.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 04:57:21 AM »
We also just use the out of site out of mind idea, with most valueables stored in the vehicle if they have to be left at a campsite.

One of these may be a good idea if your real keen on making a bit of a scene if your camper is entered.  I have friends who bought and use a similar one after having an experience with valueables being stolen from out of their camper.  It's not a positive lock like some of the chain and padlock ideas, but it is portable, can be set up to monitor doorways or the inside of campers, and will probably scare the Shit out of any wouldbe theives.

This is just one Google found for me:-

The Mini Travel Alarm with PIR Motion Sensor  SALE
"Click Image for Larger View"

The MINI TRAVEL ALARM with PIR SENSOR is an effective low cost motion alarm that can be used to effectively to deter an assailant. It can be activated by just pulling the alarm cord located at the top of the unit or can detect motion up to 9 feet away. Emits a loud 15 second, 100 db blast making an impending criminal cower and run. Just slide the cover down exposing the infrared sensor and the off/auto switch. Turn the switch to auto, and the sensor will start detecting motion in 60 seconds. Contains an LED flashlight, and its convenient size makes it perfect for concealing and traveling. Uses replaceable AG13 batteries (included).

The Mini Travel Alarm with PIR Motion Sensor
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:02:56 AM by Gunna Do »

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 05:41:29 AM »
A few severed heads impaled on sticks  around the perimeter of you camp could also work as a deterant..
Living the Dream.

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 06:30:08 AM »
Access to the wheel nuts is next to impossible with the steel plate that covers them....

Whilst I don't believe that this or anything for that matter is 100% secure it sure makes it less attractive and hopefully the would be thieves move on.

If they just let the air out of the tire can they then easily remove these units?

Cheers
Parry

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
Exactly what we do. If they really want in, they're going to smash the car window glass, and there's ways to do this quietly even in busy carparks/campgrounds. One day soon we're going to get a Diamond-T style box for the ute tray, then it will carry our irreplaceables. Surely a bolted down steel box is as good as it gets.

On our Lifestyle Extenda, we we leave it somewhere we just chuck anything of value (i.e. is of some value and that could be easily taken, and then on-sold at a 'Cashies' for a quick buck) inside the trailer, then just swing the back door shut and lock one of the locks on it - meanwhile all other external doors container gas, battery's etc remain shut but unlocked. Even with the back tail door shut and locked, people could still come in through the bed deck hatches inside. If they want to take the food, bits & pieces box, or filthy stove from the site, then good luck to them. They obviously need it more than us, or they're desperates and karma will bite them in the arse soon enough..

We also have a set of small luggage type padlocks to put on the door zippers, but these are more of a deterrent to the smash and grabbers as anything canvas etc is of course easily cut through. We put a lock on the DO35 hitch (it has a locking point) which renders it inoperable, but so don't bother with chaining wheels etc.

Dont forget to padlock the chains around the drawbar as I have known trailers and vans to be towed away by the chains when there is a hitch lock on.
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
" THIS CAMPER IS GUARDED THREE DAYS A WEEK BY SHOTGUN ...

" YOU GUESS WHICH THREE DAYS !!"

Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
KISS ... the simple answer is to go camping with no valuables at all.  Leave them at home or lock them in the car out of view.  You can do what I do, and that is take them with you when you go walking away from the camper.  Yep, usually it's just the camera I care about, as it has all my memories contained within ... everything else is replaceable ... it might be annoying, but they are all easily replaced.  Laptop passwords are easily bypassed, most camping equipment is easily removed and is hard to trace by cops.

Alternately, paint everything in a garish hippie pattern, forcing theives to look elsewhere for less easily identifyable goods.

At home, we use a "screamer" (otherwise known as a Cuda motion alarm), Klamps, heavy chains and highly rated locks, a hitch lock and a BCDKATS (Blue Cattle Dog Keyless Anti-Theft System), but these are really only deterents for the honest guy who will think it's too much hassle to get passed the dog first.  I have considered coating the CT in Dots, but you can paint over them with fantastic success alas, so not really worth the money unless you can get them somewhere inside the chassis, but then how does the nice police man see them?

Kit_e

P.S.  We do have lockable boxes all over the place as an alternative (on both car and camper).

I' m sorry but beg to differ. Last time I looked Honest people we not thieves.
But your system will keep the lazy thieves from stealing your stuff.
And we all know most thieves are lazy, if they werent lazy they would get jobs like the other 90% of the population...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown