Author Topic: Outback Swan  (Read 21529 times)

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

The Australia pack colours courtesy of Jayco Facebook page.

2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Outback Swan
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Hmmm, the kids would destroy the white interior...
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
Finally picked up my 2013 outback swan on Wednesday.

Love the LED lights. Interestingly, they have a blue low light mode which will be a handy nightlight for those with young kids.

Will crawl over, under and around it on the weekend. But on surface, everything appears as it should.

My list of options included a battery and a second water tank, pump, tap on water bar, extended drawbar, roof rack, bagged awnings and bed flies, no microwave, shelves in wardrobe, innerspring mattress. All of that added weight.

End result is very hefty increase of ball weight to 143kg. My car has max of 150 so closer to the max than I would have liked.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:14:09 PM by BrindiCruiser »

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »

Congrats Brindi,
                Have had ours for 4 weeks now so far the only problem has been one of the pins that holds the plastic stop on the bed tracks snapped and the cap came out,couldnt work out why the one side of the bed wouldnt stop sliding around.I just put a bolt through it with nylock nut,dealer is going to look at it when I get serviced.
          Have spent 4 nights in it so far all in caravan parks,glad we had the power so we could whack the heater on at night,1st mod might be a diesel heater (so swmbo says).

Cheers Dice
2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "I WONDER WHERE THIS TRACK GOES"
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
Finally picked up my 2013 outback swan on Wednesday.

Love the LED lights. Interestingly, they have a blue low light mode which will be a handy nightlight for those with young kids.

Will crawl over, under and around it on the weekend. But on surface, everything appears as it should.

My list of options included a battery and a second water tank, pump, tap on water bar, extended drawbar, roof rack, bagged awnings and bed flies, no microwave, shelves in wardrobe, innerspring mattress. All if that added weight.

End result is very hefty increase of ball weight to 143kg. My car has max of 150 so closer to the max than I would have liked.
I'd love to hear if having the second water tank has given you a soft spot in the floor...

100 Series Diesel with lots of stuff
2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
I'd love to hear if having the second water tank has given you a soft spot in the floor...

Personally, I suspect that I will not 'love' it if find a soft spot in my floor but I will keep an eye out and report back if I notice anything.

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
Happy Days Brindicruiser!
Keep a watch on that ball weight, is that is as it left the factory with nothing in the front boot, an empty gas bottle and nothing in the jerry can holder on the drawbar.  you could easily without trying add 50kg there.
A full watertank in the back may help though, but not that much.
E.G, mine (as per below pic) has a stamped ball weight of 129kg.  BUT, Add poles in pvc carrier~10kg, full gas bottle~9kg, 20l jerry can~20kg, stoneguard~5kg,  stuff in front boot (camp kitchen, 4kg gas, ropes, pegs, leads, hose etc~25kg  and suddenly I can max out up near 200kg and that's not counting things inside that are in front of the axle (fridge full of food + other cupboards in my case being a hawk).
With my tow vehicle, I am well within ball weight limits, and don't have a full jerry very often + have some heavier items near the back of the camper, but just doing that simple exercise above makes me more aware of how it adds up.
One day I might load it up and run it over a weigh bridge....

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »
Happy Days Brindicruiser!
Keep a watch on that ball weight, is that is as it left the factory with nothing in the front boot, an empty gas bottle and nothing in the jerry can holder on the drawbar.  you could easily without trying add 50kg there."

I am starting to wonder why I bothered to get the extended draw bar and extra water tank cause filling the water tank or putting anything on the draw bar will cause issues with the ball weight restriction with my car....  I really think Jayco should be able to provide an estimate the ball weight when you are ordering options rather than having a surprise awaiting for people when they pick up the camper.

I am specifically talking about Jayco here, rather than the local Jayco dealer. They build truckloads of these things, and a database should enables them to provide a reasonable estimate of wieghts should not be too hard..

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Personally, I suspect that I will not 'love' it if find a soft spot in my floor but I will keep an eye out and report back if I notice anything.
sorry not what I meant   :angel:..my 3 week old Swan is in getting some work done on it right now....soft spot in the floor is one of the issues.... ???.

2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
One cup, double walled, unbreakable stainless steel from Target. You can get bigger ones but the missus drinks some space alien tea so the one cuppa job it was-
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:09:51 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
sorry not what I meant   :angel:..my 3 week old Swan is in getting some work done on it right now....soft spot in the floor is one of the issues.... ???.

Definitely no soft spot in our 2012 Swan.  Hope your warranty/service experience goes better than mine that finally came to climax today with me redoing the majority of what it went in for. It was a bad day for caravanland is all I'm going to say.

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline ytt105

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
How long does the kettle take to boil the billy, and how much power does it use?

Regards

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
How long does the kettle take to boil the billy, and how much power does it use?

Regards

Takes about 15mins max for 2 generous cups worth (you learn where to fill it to by measuring out the cups) and these 12V jugs draw a fair bit of power so you only use it plugged into the car when travelling and judge when you want a break and/or you use the next convenient stop.

I can tell you I could have sold a few cups at the roadside stops or scenic stop offs when the thirsty onlookers get a whiff of the plunger coffee. Doesn't take long to pay for itself and I like my coffee black but the missus has little plastic containers of milk up front for the day for her hippy tea.   
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
Well the Swan is home safe and sound after some warranty work..
1.Soft spot in the floor fixed with reinforced bracing .
2.Entry door clip replaced (My bet is they will be replacing a lot more of them  >:D)
3.Roof on the kitchen side was bowed didn't close properly (fixed).

While it was there a new swing away jockey wheel was installed and the springs overslung on the axle.
All up happy with the aftermarket service provided by Northside Caravans Repairs.

Bring on the next trip... :cheers: :cheers:

2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
2.Entry door clip replaced (My bet is they will be replacing a lot more of them  >:D)

Not sure what that is. Any chance of a picture?

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
1.Soft spot in the floor fixed with reinforced bracing .
3.Roof on the kitchen side was bowed didn't close properly (fixed).

While it was there a new swing away jockey wheel was installed and the springs overslung on the axle.
All up happy with the aftermarket service provided by Northside Caravans Repairs.

Bring on the next trip... :cheers: :cheers:

Good to here that your repairs went well.  Much better than my experience with Caravanland. I really wish I had taken mine elsewhere. 

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
Not sure what that is. Any chance of a picture?
I'll see what I can do...however I'm talking about the clip that joins the top section of the door to the bottom section. Original one was cheap and nasty ...new heavy duty one installed now..

2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
I'll see what I can do...however I'm talking about the clip that joins the top section of the door to the bottom section. Original one was cheap and nasty ...new heavy duty one installed now..

Now I understand.  Next time I will have a look at the clip on mine. No need for picture now. Thanks

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Outback Swan
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »
After 3 impatient months, I have finally gotten to use mine.

Few things that come to mind. After a total of 24 hrs use....

- the LED lights are great. I quite like the way they have a blue mode for when kids are sleeping.
- heaps more storage room than our last  80's Jayco
- I really like the boot.
- table is a bit squishy for 5. We eat outside plenty but it is smaller than our previous table. We knew that was a trade off.
Wardrobe with shelves is the bomb for clothes. We use mesh packing cells, and they fit really well.
- the latches for doors and drawers are often sticky. I am hoping this will improve but not confident.