Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127722 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
Question for those who are also lucky enough to live in an area that's been deemed "too hard" to give a decent NBN connection to and the only option is satellite;
* If you sign up to the NBN via Skymuster can they or will they disconnect your existing ADSL connection?

We're putting a granny flat out on a corner of our rural block and want to get an internet connection to it.
The granny flat does not need a fixed phone, only internet. Very poor signal means 4G is not an option, neither is fixed wifi.
I can't justify the cost of running a fixed line from the existing house to the new granny flat and don't want to have the new dwelling eating all of my already crappy ADSL bandwidth.

So;
I'm hoping I can setup the granny flat with it's own new skymuster satellite internet connection and have it completely independent from the main house.
Is this possible?
Or will Telstra insist that the NBN connection on our property must feed both dwellings and try to disconnect my current ADSL connection?

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
That sounds pretty much like my place - my rental is a 2nd dwelling on the landlord's block.

We have our own power supply, so are suitably separated, and have a different address(ish).

Using all of those, NBN set up a code for our property so fixed wireless could be installed via the ISP. I suspect Sky Muster would work the same way.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »
Thanks mate.
I’m expecting the house numbering could be my biggest issue.
As we’re just adding a secondary dwelling and not subdividing I think it might make what I want to do just that little bit more difficult than it needs to be.

Guess I’ll just have to have a chat with NBN co and see what they have to say.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
We're on some paperwork as "Cottage (Landlord's block number), road name, suburb" - it all depends on what it is.

I'd probably recommend not using Telstra, rather someone who is more rural familiar - they tend to have a bit more commonsense and understand what you are trying to achieve.

The other way might be to activate another port on the NTD and run a separate wi-fi system to the granny flat (or back to yours...)

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
Hopefully someone can help out there as I have no idea.

I bit the bullet today and started the nbn process. Firstly we have been with TPG for years and decided to stay with them. So I make the call and listen to all the rubbish that they come up with.

One thing that was said was that our Foxtel will no longer work with broadband. So I ask what happens and the girl on the other end says ring Foxtel. So I did and for what it was worth I might have been speaking to her sister. All she wanted to do was connect us to Foxtel Broadband. When I explained that we currently have Foxtel through Telstra and I intend to use tpg she said that I had to ring Telstra and could not help. She said “ bye”and hung up.

My question is how do I keep Foxtel with a tpg broadband connection?

I hate this rubbish. Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Ken

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
Hopefully someone can help out there as I have no idea.

I bit the bullet today and started the nbn process. Firstly we have been with TPG for years and decided to stay with them. So I make the call and listen to all the rubbish that they come up with.

One thing that was said was that our Foxtel will no longer work with broadband. So I ask what happens and the girl on the other end says ring Foxtel. So I did and for what it was worth I might have been speaking to her sister. All she wanted to do was connect us to Foxtel Broadband. When I explained that we currently have Foxtel through Telstra and I intend to use tpg she said that I had to ring Telstra and could not help. She said “ bye”and hung up.

My question is how do I keep Foxtel with a tpg broadband connection?

I hate this rubbish. Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Ken

a couple of questions:

how do you get foxtel currently?  dish, cable, streaming?
how do you have foxtel thru telstra, but your ISP is currently TPG?  if it's a completely separate product, not related to your current ISP, then i don't see how changing to NBN makes a difference, depending on delivery method...

you may be able to sign up for "foxtel now", which is foxtel's streaming product, delivered by internet (no specific provider required)...

can i ask why you are staying with TPG?  if your foxtel is already delivered via telstra, it might be easier (and cheaper) to bundle your internet, foxtel and any other mobiles or home phone you may have...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:46:45 PM by paceman »

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
As said,  It wont worry foxtel who the NBN supply comes thru.  Its the same data system, just metered  by a different supplier.  Once you have succesfuly changed over from Telsta to TPG the foxtel box will continue working as it currently does.

Getting the change over to happen properly is the issue however.....

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »
Thanks all. Paceman, You are on the money. I am one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it brigade". It is often to my own detriment. Will probably use Telstra as they are offering a good deal. At least I can easily understand the person on the other end.
That comment is not meant to sound racist in any way so I hope I haven't offended anybody. I'll leave that up to Allan Jones and his discussion of the Opera House.

Thanks again
Ken

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Thanks all. Paceman, You are on the money. I am one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it brigade". It is often to my own detriment. Will probably use Telstra as they are offering a good deal. At least I can easily understand the person on the other end.
That comment is not meant to sound racist in any way so I hope I haven't offended anybody. I'll leave that up to Allan Jones and his discussion of the Opera House.

Thanks again
Ken

to be honest, you could do a lot worse than bundle with the big 'T'...

their pricing is competitive, when you have some services to bundle and it's not the worst customer service in the world, IMO... some may disagree (with good reason) but i have never had too many issues with them...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
Quote from: Titfish
Will probably use Telstra as they are offering a good deal.
beel lookin at this too

At least I can easily understand the person on the other end.
its a fact dude, nobody could be offended.. LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »
Can’t complain, we use Telstra NBN. Our street does have fiber though. Our speeds are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
beel lookin at this too
its a fact dude, nobody could be offended.. LOL

I know it’s a fact Bird but it seems as though the world is full or very precious people these days.  Oh bugger. There I go again offending people.

Ken

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
Not for me, I'm giving Telstra the flick after over 30 years with them, signed with Aussie Broadband NBN gets hooked up on Friday, was good to speak with someone i could understand, getting rid of Foxtel, nothing on it anyway except for sport, even the docos are getting boring. I'll keep the phone with them only because of service, dont usually have much trouble with that, but the problems ive had with their broadband and absolutely  crap service is enough to drive me nuts. Will see how i go now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Quote from: macca
... getting rid of Foxtel, nothing on it anyway except for sport, even the docos are getting boring.
Im on the verge of that too, but the others in the house watch somethings on there, not $100/wk worth, probably $2.50inc gst worth...

I can't understand how things are repeated so often on it.. Doco's, fishing shows (I mean how exciting is it watching someone catch a fish?),  or the staged shows - like OCC which had the same script for years - start off in shop all good, get contract to build bike, oh no drama music, will they finish on time... then massive argument, then we all live happily ever after at the end..
Or Fast and Loud - it's the same every week.. get a contract, start on car, short time frame, drama music - find car is worse than thought,  boss gets grumpy he has to spend money, Aaron saves the day, live happily ever after - beer assistant.

And if you do find something worth watching, get into it, and find its series x part 1... but theres never part 2 - they go to series Z part 4 instead. Shows that have all been on 39480239482034893 times.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
I will miss Iron Resurrection tho but it will be on free to air next year anyway

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2018, 09:17:13 AM »
Im on the verge of that too, but the others in the house watch somethings on there, not $100/wk worth, probably $2.50inc gst worth...

I can't understand how things are repeated so often on it.. Doco's, fishing shows (I mean how exciting is it watching someone catch a fish?),  or the staged shows - like OCC which had the same script for years - start off in shop all good, get contract to build bike, oh no drama music, will they finish on time... then massive argument, then we all live happily ever after at the end..
Or Fast and Loud - it's the same every week.. get a contract, start on car, short time frame, drama music - find car is worse than thought,  boss gets grumpy he has to spend money, Aaron saves the day, live happily ever after - beer assistant.

And if you do find something worth watching, get into it, and find its series x part 1... but theres never part 2 - they go to series Z part 4 instead. Shows that have all been on 39480239482034893 times.

What about watching Carlton Bird, that ranks right up the top  >:D

GG

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »
Quote from: macca
I will miss Iron Resurrection tho but it will be on free to air next year anyway
but even that - for the last 2-3 weeks are only showing the 2 "Refueled" episodes over and over and over where they sit around and talk Shit.  although shorty does remind me of a cartoon character.

Quote from: GGV8Cruza
What about watching Carlton Bird, that ranks right up the top  >:D
fuggkorf yakarn. :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
First up, I must confess.
I have no idea what this NBN capper is, nor do I care.
I have not read through the previous posts.
BUT
To answer the original question......
We had no choice, we had to swap over, so a bloke shows up, tinkers with the wires in the street, takes the black wifi box and leaves a small black box and bigger white box.
The land line is gone, and now we need to connect the phone to the white box.
Well, 2 weeks later it is crap.
The first few days was no land line, now it stops working from time to time.
The internet didn't work for the 1st week, it would be on for 5 mins, off for 2.
Now, it is very slow, slower then the cable system we had.
I have lost 2 hours and 40 mins on the phone to them trying to get it working. Best bit about the phone calls was I had to use my mobile to make the calls, which doesn't work in the house and the Philipinos are telling me to be at the computer.
So the point to this NBN swap over was....... ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:58:12 PM by DaveR »
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
Quote from: DaveR
So the point to this NBN swap over was....... ?
to feel warm and fuzzy....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

KingBilly

« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
Total opposite. Got a flyer in the letterbox that NBN was coming to our street, I signed up with Aussie Broadband on paceman’s recommendation, they sent a modem which arrived a few days before NBN was swapped over, plugged the modem in, worked first go, been fantastic ever since. No visits from anybody, nothing to change in the house.  Close to 50 whatevers download and 20 upload, morning, noon and night, no drop outs, just great compared to our 8 whatevers with ADSL.  Happy camper.

KB

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »
to feel warm and fuzzy....

Just like the solar panels/batteries push.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »
Total opposite. Got a flyer in the letterbox that NBN was coming to our street, I signed up with Aussie Broadband on paceman’s recommendation, they sent a modem which arrived a few days before NBN was swapped over, plugged the modem in, worked first go, been fantastic ever since. No visits from anybody, nothing to change in the house.  Close to 50 whatevers download and 20 upload, morning, noon and night, no drop outs, just great compared to our 8 whatevers with ADSL.  Happy camper.

KB

We've had NBN for a couple of years now KB. The installation went smoothly, but it's no better than the Telstra cable we had previously.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline BC66

• Tent User
NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
Solar and batteries is going to get a big push soon with all these gov grants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:51:52 PM by BC66 »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #248 on: November 23, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »
Just like the solar panels/batteries push.....
My warm and fuzzies save me $300 a bill.
Cost a bit over 5k to buy, its already paid for itself and is putting cash in my pocket.
So yes it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
My warm and fuzzies save me $300 a bill.....

....with the help of subsidies that come at someone else's expense, but that's another discussion....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon