Author Topic: Modcon C3 thoughts?  (Read 12198 times)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Modcon C3 thoughts?
« on: April 27, 2019, 07:00:03 PM »
We are in the market for a Caravan or a Hybrid Camper. I don’t want to borrow any money so have a budget of about $35k, I am looking at both new and second hand option and even considering restoring an older off road van.

Both the Lifestyle ICONN and MODCON C3 have caught my eye. The C3 I think suits my needs better having to accomodate a 15 and 11 year old for overnighters ( Will be in own tent/swags for longer stays) the twin bunks are 1850mm long, there appears to be more storage and a marginally larger kitchen compared to the ICONN.

Thoughts, what else is out there?

Link to the C3 below.

http://modcon.com.au/c3-hybrid

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
Re: Modcon C3 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
There is a Facebook group " modcon campers owners group " with a fair few c3 users on it. May be worth joining up if you use Facebook?

Apart from that they seem to have quite a few on order and seem popular

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
There is a Facebook group " modcon campers owners group " with a fair few c3 users on it. May be worth joining up if you use Facebook?

Apart from that they seem to have quite a few on order and seem popular

Cheers mate. I did have a quick look on there I will join the group and see what I can find out cheers.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
It looks pretty good. Chinese made just like the Lifestyle. A bit dearer than an Ultra and a fair bit heavier, but for a loose copy of a CC, nice !!
Was the bed a full size queen ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
It looks pretty good. Chinese made just like the Lifestyle. A bit dearer than an Ultra and a fair bit heavier, but for a loose copy of a CC, nice !!
Was the bed a full size queen ?

They claim the bed is full queen size mate. The bunks are 1850mm which is great. I really liked the Ultra but 1600mm beds just won’t work. This thing is about $33k and then options. I was looking at their Redarc BMS 30 kit option for combined DC/DC, AC/DC, Solar and BMS. I don’t like those portable Gas HWS so would install an instant gas one my self and then as we live in a cold sh!t hole (Bathurst) I would look at a Diesel heater install down the track.

I think if I go into it with the right mindset it will be ok, it won’t have the build quality of the KK but if I can fix/develop a few things then that will be OK to. I won’t be giving it a flogging. Keen to see one in the flesh but they are a bit thin on the ground.

Jas

Some better Pics here http://www.victoriancampertrailers.com.au/index.php/dj-catalog2/karavan/item/33-modcon-c3-hybrid-caravan#.XMP7Ay9L0UE

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Just saw one at the camping and caravan show. Seemed to suit the purpose you are talking about.
I liked it for the same reasons and agree with the hot water comments. It didn’t like the portable option.
If you go into it with an open mind, willing to make some improvements you will be happy with it.
Good luck.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 07:51:13 PM »
Just saw one at the camping and caravan show. Seemed to suit the purpose you are talking about.
I liked it for the same reasons and agree with the hot water comments. It didn’t like the portable option.
If you go into it with an open mind, willing to make some improvements you will be happy with it.
Good luck.

Thanks mate that’s what I am hoping. The hot water could easily be sorted with an RV instant fixed gas HWS with little cost. The Webasto HWS/heater units are pricy. A mate has had the cheap $400 chinese Webasto copy Diesel heater in his caravan for a few years now and it has been faultless. Might be an option also.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
A mate has had the cheap $400 chinese Webasto copy Diesel heater in his caravan for a few years now and it has been faultless. Might be an option also.

They are about $150 on eBay now!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »
We looked at the first release at the Brisbane  show,  Given it was a first put together and a bit rushed, Wondering if  the few finish assembly quality issues have been  addressed in the production runs ..
Internal mounted fittings [ TV mount and something in a cabinet screwed on with screws that were too long and deformed [ pimpling ] the big flat outer wall skins on both external side walls .. didnt look good ..
 Rough ally welds to bunk bed frames  .
Roof hatch Ally flat bar pivot  to me needs to be a bit more beef to stop sideways movement ... The soft Automotive rubber roof seal is being chaffed / pinched and cut open at some point ..
We didnt mind it, but its a lot of coin for an ACP clad camper .
  It was roomy enough for a bloke my size and the wife with mobility issues liked the lower entry step setup and the fact the bed was lower than level with the windows, unlike a lot of others we looked at.
Have the Gal dippers  stopped blowing holes willy nilly  in the chassis sections with an oxy on these new  production runs
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:23:09 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:33:46 AM »
They claim the bed is full queen size mate. The bunks are 1850mm which is great. I really liked the Ultra but 1600mm beds just won’t work. This thing is about $33k and then options. I was looking at their Redarc BMS 30 kit option for combined DC/DC, AC/DC, Solar and BMS. I don’t like those portable Gas HWS so would install an instant gas one my self and then as we live in a cold sh!t hole (Bathurst) I would look at a Diesel heater install down the track.

I think if I go into it with the right mindset it will be ok, it won’t have the build quality of the KK but if I can fix/develop a few things then that will be OK to. I won’t be giving it a flogging. Keen to see one in the flesh but they are a bit thin on the ground.

Jas

Some better Pics here http://www.victoriancampertrailers.com.au/index.php/dj-catalog2/karavan/item/33-modcon-c3-hybrid-caravan#.XMP7Ay9L0UE

If I had my time again I’d go straight to a diesel water boiler with silent heat exchange room heater all in one.

https://www.dieselheat.com.au/genesis-diesel-water-cabin-heater/

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
We looked at the first release at the Brisbane  show,  Given it was a first put together and a bit rushed, Wondering if  the few finish assembly quality issues have been  addressed in the production runs ..
Internal mounted fittings [ TV mount and something in a cabinet screwed on with screws that were too long and deformed [ pimpling ] the big flat outer wall skins on both external side walls .. didnt look good ..
 Rough ally welds to bunk bed frames  .
Roof hatch Ally flat bar pivot  to me needs to be a bit more beef to stop sideways movement ... The soft Automotive rubber roof seal is being chaffed / pinched and cut open at some point ..
We didnt mind it, but its a lot of coin for an ACP clad camper .
It was roomy enough for a bloke my size and the wife with mobility issues liked the lower entry step setup and the fact the bed was lower than level with the windows, unlike a lot of others we looked at.
Have the Gal dippers  stopped blowing holes willy nilly  in the chassis sections with an oxy on these new  production runs

Yeah thanks EDZ I saw that same image on their release video and it had me scratching my head too mate. I am lead to believe quite a few things changed in the actual production models, some hinges, chassis weld quality, suspension, interior colour and materials etc etc. I had a chat to the owners today and to Trever at Victorian Camper Trailers. The owners were very honest in the way they are built etc. They are shipped over as a built chassis with the tops fitted. The suspension, electrical and and many other fittings are fitted here in AUS. He said their process here was key to how the finished product looks and performs. Trevor indicated that the company was good to deal with and stood by their product. I realise its built to a price and its no KK but for the use I have in mind for it I think it would do the job. MODCON are happy for the owners to fit them out and modify them as required. They indicated today that any additions or changes as long as they are not major structural changes would have no bearing on their warranty.

Still looking at other options but the size and inclusions are attractive at the moment.
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 12:36:59 PM »
I too saw the original model at a show last year and was impessed with the concept but thought the dempo model was very rough and finish not the best however I went to the showroom in Brisbane last month and the new models look fantastic. I was really impressed with the finish. They are so much better than the one I originally saw and they are most certainly on my list when ready to upgrade.
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »
I messaged to see if they would be at Rosehill caravan show. They said they wouldn’t be. Pretty disappointing they won’t be at the biggest show going around. Also probably missing out on a stack of sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »
I messaged to see if they would be at Rosehill caravan show. They said they wouldn’t be. Pretty disappointing they won’t be at the biggest show going around. Also probably missing out on a stack of sales.

Yeah I did the same mate. I spoke to the factory also. They have over 20 on order and can’t supply until after September so they didn’t have a model to show or to spare. I guess if they can’t meet demand now maybe they didn’t need the show. I would have liked to see one in the flesh though.

Jas

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
Yeah I did the same mate. I spoke to the factory also. They have over 20 on order and can’t supply until after September so they didn’t have a model to show or to spare. I guess if they can’t meet demand now maybe they didn’t need the show. I would have liked to see one in the flesh though.

Jas
My wife saw the Lifestyle Iconn which is similar and really liked it so really would like to see in the flesh before I get my wallet out

Bought a what?

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
My wife saw the Lifestyle Iconn which is similar and really liked it so really would like to see in the flesh before I get my wallet out

I liked the ICONN also but the door really puts me off, 1/2 alloy 1/2 fabric with zips and press studs. I think it would do my heard in. Also having the fridge slide in and out meaning the bunks can’t be left made up isn’t ideal. I am still searching but haven’t found anything else yet. Ideally I would buy the Complete Campsite Exodus 11 but the reality is I have $38k in the bank and I refuse to borrow any money. There are plenty of full size vans out there in my price range also but they just don’t appeal.

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 10:42:01 PM »

I liked the ICONN also but the door really puts me off, 1/2 alloy 1/2 fabric with zips and press studs. I think it would do my heard in. Also having the fridge slide in and out meaning the bunks can’t be left made up isn’t ideal. I am still searching but haven’t found anything else yet. Ideally I would buy the Complete Campsite Exodus 11 but the reality is I have $38k in the bank and I refuse to borrow any money. There are plenty of full size vans out there in my price range also but they just don’t appeal.

For a moment I thought I wrote that. I’m in exactly the same boat.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »

I think the reconn would do my head in having to duck all the time to get in and out. Being over 6ft it’s not ideal.

Bought a what?

Offline mark.power84

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 08:20:35 AM »
I'm just wondering what you ended up going with? I'm in the same boat looking between the Modcon and Lifestyle Iconn.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 08:41:21 AM »
I'm just wondering what you ended up going with? I'm in the same boat looking between the Modcon and Lifestyle Iconn.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56379.0
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
??

Mmmm

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk