Author Topic: HELP - What’s my Camper Trailer worth  (Read 3489 times)

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
HELP - What’s my Camper Trailer worth
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »
I need some help on putting a price on it as I am about to sell and upgrade to a caravan and I really don’t know what it’s worth and hard to find an equivalent Australian made trailer to compare.

ADMIN if this type of post is not allowed I will understand.

I bought this camper brand new for $22,000

I have a 2012 Central Coast Camper. It is described as a 17’ tent top made of quality Australian canvas. There is a 8’ front annex with walls (all attached by zipper). In addition there is a 6’ front annex and a 6’ rear annex (no walls) that can be put up if you don’t want to put up the fully enclosed front annex.

The canvas is in excellent condition. No tears, no rips, no holes and no repairs.  There is a solar blanket over the bed area to help reduce the heat on those hot days.

The trailer is quality Australian built trailer that is in excellent condition. 7 leaf ALKO rebound springs, electric brakes and 17” King wheels with Mickey Thompson Tyres (85% tread) the spare is the same.

ALKO Off-Road 2T coupling and a large box on the drawbar that holds all the extra equipment you need to carry and some.

It is a walk-up style for easy access to the bed and there are four large drawers under the bed for clothes and or storage.   There is LED lighting in the frame of the main tent (bed) area and a collapsible reading lamp to one side of the bed.

There are numerous windows

There is a slide out stainless-steel kitchen with 3 burners plumbed into 2 x 4 kg gas’s bottles. There is a quality aftermarket large fridge slide. There is a 100 litre water tank plumbed to two taps, one hand pump and one 12 volt.

The whole thing is powered by 2 x 120amp deep cycle batteries and connected to a Projecta 12v 25amp 7 stage charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:08:50 PM by shakey55 »

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: HELP - What’s my Camper Trailer worth
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »
I used this mob to value my caravan build.
https://caravanvaluations.com.au/
Cost is $125 and it's all done remotely.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
The answer is probably a whole lot less than you think. My guess would be 7-9K if you can find a buyer. Not many in the market for used softfloors and plenty of availability due to lots of people doing the same as yourself.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
The answer is probably a whole lot less than you think.
Sadly nail on the head

My guess would be 7-9K if you can find a buyer. Not many in the market for used softfloors
agree again.. depends how fast you want to sell it.

Look on other websites and see what they sell for.

Then look at D4D's trailer, been up forsale since November 12, 2018..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:41:57 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 07:51:52 PM »
Agree with above, around $10k max. If it’s not hybrid-ish and doesn’t have independent suspension it may take a while to sell. I know it is Aussie made with Aussie canvas but check out what imports you can buy for $15k (hardfloor, forward fold), that’s what you are competing with. And yours is 7 years old, almost 8. Also think the bigger tent is working against you.

But if you’re lucky you may find someone who appreciates good quality!!!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:14:25 AM »
I recently had this same conversation with my Wife when the insurance bill arrived. We paid $15K for it 10 years ago and while it’s in great condition I reduced the level of insurance to $4K.

We have taken it out West and to Cape York so I know the red dust stains just reduces its value, but the other month my Son asked when he gets older would I let me borrow it, so it's just going to stay in the family until it dies.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:07:26 AM by Beachman »
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

CTL

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
Sold a similar trailer (size, age, similar purchase price, maybe a few extra options, Aussie made, maybe a little more use but in great condition) for under $4K earlier this year, and I thought I was lucky to get that.   Good luck.

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 12:04:45 PM »
So it looks like buy Australian. Use it for a few years and then give it away because everyone wants Chinese.  The country is RS

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »
Quote from: shakey55
So it looks like buy Australian. Use it for a few years and then give it away because everyone wants Chinese.  The country is RS

It will always be more value to you... Its why i cant bring myself to sell mine. but I realise the longer I hold onto it the worse it gets. - add to that its a Shit time of year to sell.

How much do you believe it to be worth, and how much do you think a buyer would pay?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
It will always be more value to you... Its why i cant bring myself to sell mine. but I realise the longer I hold onto it the worse it gets. - add to that its a Shit time of year to sell.

How much do you believe it to be worth, and how much do you think a buyer would pay?

Bird

I was thinking of advertising for $12,000 expecting to drop some. I never thought I would have to give it away. In fact I will not give it away.

I will probably still advertise for $12,000 and see what happens over time.   It is worth every dollar of that, but because the mighty dollar has overtaken quality I may never get what it’s actually worth, as many Australians would rather pay less dollars for Chinese quality and when they wear out you CAN give/throw away and not worry about the dollar.

So perhaps it will stay within the family.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
.. was thinking of advertising for $12,000 expecting to drop some.

So perhaps it will stay within the family.
As said look around at what 12g's buys you now.

I would say save your money on ads, and just give it to the kids. :( FWIW, I know how you feel.. I'm in the titanic with you.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »
I think the bigger issue is that the Chinese quality caught up to a degree, which means you can buy acceptable quality for a whole lot less. But that is only half of the story, the other is softfloors going out of fashion, then supply and demand does its thing.
No harm listing it for 12K but I wouldn't hold your breath, from what I have seen more campers seem to be sold out the front of houses, to friends of friends etc, mostly to people who weren't seriously looking, those that are looking online are spoilt for choice. Might be worth spreading the word that you are selling, but again you probably still need to lower your expectation advertise it for 12K, say it was 25K new, tell friends and family you would take 10K for mates rates if they know someone. I think that is about the best-case scenario. 

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
I sold something similar last year...2010, Aus made, Aus canvas, all the walls etc, Drifta kitchen, same suspension, very similar design, etc etc etc....$5k.

I know how you feel.....but as a family lawyer friend of mine once said......it doesn’t matter what you think it’s worth, it’s only worth what someone else is willing to pay. And at the moment, that’s not much.

2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Philbo

• Tent User
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 10:08:03 PM »
I'm in the other boat Shaky, equally awash with water and slowly sinking. I have a Chinese made CT and cheap as it was 5-6 years ago I would not expect to get 3k for it today and yet it has two tents, I've upgraded this and that on the trailer including shockies, hitch and electrics. Worse yet it is sitting up back in a shed up on blocks unused from new. Yep, never left the yard and never tested the u-beaut Tekonsha brake controller I had fitted in the bus and the two Ritar 120Ah AGM's that never powered a light bulb are halfway through their life now. Wife is dead against camping while we have some issues with young ones. Sad story but you know Shakey, I won't sell it either, it can sit there until swmbo comes to her senses, or the kid's issues clear up. I'm not gonna give the bloody thing away.
I taught him all I know . . . and still he knows nothing!

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 05:21:45 AM »
I owned two Australian quality, Australian canvas trailers for long enough to know a Chinese bargain when I saw one. 3 1/2 years and 30,000 kms later I’m yet to be proven wrong. Don’t mistake buying ‘quality’ for buying a bloke a house, car, wages etc etc in a low turnover cottage business. Just because you paid a certain amount for something doesn’t mean it is worth anything. Good luck with the sale, but whinging about low margin high volume imported trailers isn’t going to change your situation. 2nd hand soft floors have never been worth a lot unless they are a marquis brand and sort after. If yours was, it would be sold by now.

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 05:29:35 AM »
I'm in the other boat Shaky, equally awash with water and slowly sinking. I have a Chinese made CT and cheap as it was 5-6 years ago I would not expect to get 3k for it today and yet it has two tents, I've upgraded this and that on the trailer including shockies, hitch and electrics. Worse yet it is sitting up back in a shed up on blocks unused from new. Yep, never left the yard and never tested the u-beaut Tekonsha brake controller I had fitted in the bus and the two Ritar 120Ah AGM's that never powered a light bulb are halfway through their life now. Wife is dead against camping while we have some issues with young ones. Sad story but you know Shakey, I won't sell it either, it can sit there until swmbo comes to her senses, or the kid's issues clear up. I'm not gonna give the bloody thing away.

I hear your pain

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 05:32:34 AM »
I owned two Australian quality, Australian canvas trailers for long enough to know a Chinese bargain when I saw one. 3 1/2 years and 30,000 kms later I’m yet to be proven wrong. Don’t mistake buying ‘quality’ for buying a bloke a house, car, wages etc etc in a low turnover cottage business. Just because you paid a certain amount for something doesn’t mean it is worth anything. Good luck with the sale, but whinging about low margin high volume imported trailers isn’t going to change your situation. 2nd hand soft floors have never been worth a lot unless they are a marquis brand and sort after. If yours was, it would be sold by now.

No whinging here, just stating facts.

As for being sold by now - it has not been advertised or offered for sale at yet.

Thanks for your opinion

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 05:37:24 AM »

Looks more like a sook than a whinge, but you are looking outside and blaming everyone else for your problem rather than playing the cards you have. And I disagree that you are stating fact. My opinion only.

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 05:17:04 AM »
Looks more like a sook than a whinge, but you are looking outside and blaming everyone else for your problem rather than playing the cards you have. And I disagree that you are stating fact. My opinion only.

Do you ever give up

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 07:28:20 AM »
I follow the camper ads around Australia every day.  I have a camper that I am contemplating upgrading to a forward fold.  For $17,000 second hand I can get a forward fold with every gadget known to man. Boat rack, hot water, twin shock suspension, large fridge etc.etc.    In all honesty I would be surprised if anyone offers more than $7-8 thousand.  The market is flooded with cheap soft tops. .  Have you thought of maybe keeping it and hiring it out for a weekend or a week to help recoup costs. $250 a week 6 times a year is extra dollars..  Good luck with whatever you do.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 08:41:11 AM »
Do you ever give up
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:44:52 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge