Author Topic: Cun Escape or Pioneer Onyx...is it worth paying the extra  (Read 2513 times)

Offline TWJ

• Learning the Ropes
Cun Escape or Pioneer Onyx...is it worth paying the extra
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi all

Been looking at purchasing a camper trailer for sometime.  Mainly researching soft floor models due to the extra space they give you but now we are starting to lean towards a hard floor camper due to reduced setup time.  The two that we are looking at are the Cub Escape and the Pioneer Onyx.  There is a big price difference from new between the two units and I am wondering if I can justify the price difference (other than the pioneer would be nice to have).  We current spend a mix of camping between free camps and caravan parks and like to get off the beat track where we can.  In CPs we are setup for a week or two and when we free camp it is usually for a short time although we would like to start making some longer trips out bush.

The pioneer is a great unit with a lot of bells and whistles but is it worth the $20k extra or would the Cub suit us?  I am keen to hear peoples experiences with these campers.   

Cheers

TWJ 

Offline Lobster

• Tent User
Re: Cun Escape or Pioneer Onyx...is it worth paying the extra
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
The old adage you get what you pay for.  You have to ask if will you be happy with the camper in 10 years and have no regrets about buying the other camper.

It sounds like a vast range in price you are looking at, so there is a myriad of options.

Good Luck :cheers:

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
Have you actually been and looked at these campers?
I was certain that I wanted a rear fold and that cub was the company for me, until I went to the showroom and looked at a few.
I found the cubs to have a very flimsy feel to them
I have not looked at the pioneers so can't really comment, but you are getting way more of a camper for your money, independent suspension, hot water system, solar, dual battery, charger inverter etc.
I ended up going a modcon forward fold camper for around $25k. Very solid camper with more options than the cub, but also heavier at nearly 1.5 ton
Anyway get out and look
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:27:26 PM »

I found the cubs to have a very flimsy feel to them

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has been my perception when looking at them, but as everybodies idea in regards to campers differs, there are probably plenty who would disagree ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
You may already have done it but we found it really useful to set up a spreadsheet with the different campers on when we were looking for a new camper.  We listed what was our must haves and what were our wants and we were able to compare fairly easily. 

Maybe try and hire each one for a weekend as well to give you a feel for how they work for you. 

Good luck with your choice.
'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/