Author Topic: Won't buy a Hema navigator again  (Read 9819 times)

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
Won't buy a Hema navigator again
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »
I have a Hema navigator HN 7 that is just over 2 years old. It has struck some power issues.

Had to call the Hema Helpdesk, that had me in a queue for over 2 hours. To then be told that I have a stuffed battery,(apparently if I am not using it all the time, this will happen) and to send it into them, (and they are the only ones that can fix), and for $99, they will fix whatever is wrong. That conversation went for no more than 5 mins.
Email came with the details. It also set expectations that it could take approx 4 weeks after receipt, but due to heavy workloads at the moment, it could take quite a bit longer.

So off it has gone.

$99 is cheaper than the other alternatives....but if it has another issue, or I change direction, I won't be getting another.

Hema do good maps but I think their HN's are not worth the money.

MarkVS

2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Sir Kev + Darkie

• Tent User
  • The Proposed Dig Tree RoadHouse
Re: Won't buy a Hema navigator again
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
Don't they have a 3 year warranty?

I had my HNi5's battery replaced 3 times, the last time was post warranty period and was told I would be charged $99. They changed the battery, update the unit and returned with no charge due to having had 3 battery's die and evidence I was using it virtually every day for work.

Now have a coming on 3 year old HN7 and battery still going strong, daily use and connected to power 100% of the time so not really concerned if the battery is RS at this stage. If it comes to a point that I need to ensure the battery is working I will pay the $99 for it to be fixed, and then possibly buy another HN7 or equivalent and sell the refurbished HN7 I currently have.

2018 79 Series Dual Cab
Coota Camper with lots of Fruit

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
Don't they have a 3 year warranty?

No....only 12 months
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
my HN7 has a stuffed battery. Haven't found a replacement battery yet. Requires soldering wires to PCB.
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
it could take approx 4 weeks after receipt, but due to heavy workloads at the moment, it could take quite a bit longer.

They sound reliable, don't they

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »
it could take approx 4 weeks after receipt, but due to heavy workloads at the moment, it could take quite a bit longer.

They sound reliable, don't they
Not at all... Two hours of helpdesk queing and ages to fix...
At the same time, I was having issues with a Redarc BMS unit in the camper. I was able to talk to someone immediately and every time I called Redarc, get help, guidance, and whatever help needed to resolve. Admittedly this was under warranty, but the difference in support engagement was chalk and cheese.
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »
Don't think you'll get much more than 3 years out of Tomtoms, Garmins, etc and you'll cut that down if you don't keep lithiums at least 40% charged and they're exposed to stinking hot conditions through the front windscreen. In that respect the big shift to in car screens makes sense and like the demanders for Android Auto and Apple Carplay, they want the capability to ad apps like Hema maps and not mess around with extra hardware. The car manufacturers tried to value add with their own systems but the market is fast forcing them to give that game away.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
Don't think you'll get much more than 3 years out of Tomtoms, Garmins, etc and you'll cut that down if you don't keep lithiums at least 40% charged and they're exposed to stinking hot conditions through the front windscreen. In that respect the big shift to in car screens makes sense and like the demanders for Android Auto and Apple Carplay, they want the capability to ad apps like Hema maps and not mess around with extra hardware. The car manufacturers tried to value add with their own systems but the market is fast forcing them to give that game away.

I agree...it's just the price for these units is well in the upper end....I suppose I expected a bit more from it......obviously I had the wrong expectations.
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
Yep, stand alone gps are becoming a thing of the past for that very reason of battery life. I had a garmin with topo, that I had issues with the battery. Great system, easy to update. But my
current car was lucky enough to have an eclipse entertainment system fitted and that would be the way I would go from now on.
Just don't change your cars like undies and you'll be sweet ;D
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
Mark, I contemplated buying a Hema navigator some time ago, but then realised I could do very similar things with a good tablet, Oziexplorer and the hema maps.  I recently bought the hema app, when we did the vic High Country trip and GOR.  So far so good.  I couldn't see the reason for spending all the money.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/
The following users thanked this post: 67HR

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
Don't know if the Hema charges via USB but if it does why not do what some dashcam users do and run it off a decent powerbank like the Xiaomi. That way you can keep the batts in the shade and you can use them more frequently for other electronics and this one's also supposed to be a pass through charger.  ie it charges and supplies at the same time although most aren't pass through so be aware of that when you're considering them for the car.
 https://www.geardo.com.au/index.php/power-bank/xiaomi-power-banks/xiaomi-16000mah-power-bank.html

Just make sure you get a genuine one though-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obYhTgzEVP8
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:03 PM »
I had similar issues with an HN7, I didn't ring the help-desk but sent an email inquiry, they answer the next day with some tips to try, one was will it charge via a USB cord from your computer, the answer was yes it did but wouldn't when it was in the car, they surmised that it was a poor mini USB connection on the HN7.
I got the same story that they had a heavy work load and it would be 4 weeks, it only took about 2 weeks and they replaced the USB socket and updated the maps, there was no charge, the unit was about 2 months out of warranty.
In answer to an earlier question they will run on a USB adapter just make sure its one that will charge a iPad, I think they are 2.1 amps but don't quote me on that, mine runs on one all the time because the supplied charger sticks a fair way out of the cigarette lighter.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »
In answer to an earlier question they will run on a USB adapter just make sure its one that will charge a iPad, I think they are 2.1 amps but don't quote me on that,

I will and with higher powered tech nowadays I discovered one of these to cover all the bases-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUKEY-QC-3-0-4-USB-Port-Car-Charger-Quick-Charge-Charging-Power-Adapter-NEW-/222556045662
You can never have too many rated USB charging ports nowadays  ;D

Edit: Blitzwolf are supposed to be good too but beware of fakes with any of them on ebay-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qualcomm-Certified-BlitzWolf-BW-C10-QC3-0-54W-Power3S-USB-Car-Charger-w-Cable-/112304361928
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:55:49 PM by prodigyrf »

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
As times have changed -- it a good idea to separate GPS app and the consider replacing the Hema device with a Android Tablet -- something like "Lenovo Tab 3 7" 16GB Tablet", easy to pick up from Officeworks for $88  https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/lenovo-tab-3-7-16gb-tablet-black-syl7tab16 

Then purchase the Raster navigation app online,
Just a quick list of apps -- of course just choose one, or experiement till you find one that you like.
Australia Topo Maps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.australia
Locus Map Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro
Hema Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.hemamaps.explorer
Memery Maps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.memorymap.mm2

A massive advantage going this way there are other useful things that you can install like Wikicamps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.angryrobot.wikicamps

A nice point if you go down this way and you break the tablet, or one of your of your kids fushes it down the dunny, just purchase another tablet for $88, (yes it's cheaper than your replacement battery) then login and reinstall the apps, and your ready to go again, as the apps are tied to your google account and not the device.

:cheers:

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
Interesting to hear.

A couple of years ago the screen on my HN5i died so I sent dropped it around to them (I was going past their office anyway) to quote for a repair, it was way out of warranty.  About two weeks later I got the repaired unit back in the mail with a new screen and a software update - no charge.

The battery has since swelled up and cracked the case so I replaced it with a cheap Jaycar battery and the thing is held together with hot glue at the moment but still working.

I ended up buying a HX-1 in preparation for the HN5i eventually dying, so I am using both at the moment.  I posted up in another thread why I am disappointed with the HX-1 so I won't repeat that here, but I would have thought the HN-7 should be a good unit.  Disappointing to hear that is not the case.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
I have a Hema navigator HN 7 that is just over 2 years old. It has struck some power issues.

Had to call the Hema Helpdesk, that had me in a queue for over 2 hours. To then be told that I have a stuffed battery,(apparently if I am not using it all the time, this will happen) and to send it into them, (and they are the only ones that can fix), and for $99, they will fix whatever is wrong. That conversation went for no more than 5 mins.
its amazing tht with technology going at the speed of light for so long, that battery technology in some areas has come to a brick wall... look at the phone issues in recent years catching fire n Shit... have the come to the limit?  My phone battery when new would last days.. now lasts 1/2 a day...

I'm bettin if you didn't want to risk breaking it you could do the battery yourself.
https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php?topic=7843.0 $19.00 delivered

https://www.ourtraveldiaries.info/index.php/how-to-replace-the-battery-in-the-hema-hn6-gps/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
Interesting to hear.

A couple of years ago the screen on my HN5i died so I sent dropped it around to them (I was going past their office anyway) to quote for a repair, it was way out of warranty.  About two weeks later I got the repaired unit back in the mail with a new screen and a software update - no charge.

The battery has since swelled up and cracked the case so I replaced it with a cheap Jaycar battery and the thing is held together with hot glue at the moment but still working.

I ended up buying a HX-1 in preparation for the HN5i eventually dying, so I am using both at the moment.  I posted up in another thread why I am disappointed with the HX-1 so I won't repeat that here, but I would have thought the HN-7 should be a good unit.  Disappointing to hear that is not the case.
Without pointing a finger here......BUT...... it was you, constantly showing a dear wife of mine,  the benefits of the Hema Navigator, (while also talking about bull bars, 33" wheels etc) that got me into Hema territory......
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
Without pointing a finger here......BUT...... it was you, constantly showing a dear wife of mine,  the benefits of the Hema Navigator, (while also talking about bull bars, 33" wheels etc) that got me into Hema territory......
Chaos and mayhem, my work here is done!

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13
The following users thanked this post: 03GV

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
The school principal out here gave me a HN 7 for free the other week.

The battery seems useless but it's works when I am driving so happy with that. I have the hema maps on the 12 inch iPad Air so easy to look at maps when not driving but drinking  :cheers:

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »
Doesn't look too hard to change if you have a soldering iron, the battery type and it's like the HN6-
https://www.ourtraveldiaries.info/index.php/how-to-replace-the-battery-in-the-hema-hn6-gps/2/