Author Topic: Storage box security  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Craigandmelanie

• Sleeping Bag User
Storage box security
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
Hi all
Looking at purchasing a Pelican plastic storage box from Bunnings for BBQ and anything else that will fit.
It will be up visible on the storage area of the camper and was wondering what you guys have used to secure.
I am planning on using ratchet tie downs while travelling but was thinking about a way to give us some permanent security/deterrent while parked up sightseeing etc.
Maybe a locking type turnbuckle but I'm not even sure they exist
Any help much appreciated
Cheers  :cheers:
Craig

Work just gets in the way of living the dream!

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Storage box security
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
Sadly with portable power tools, there is no such thing as security. If they want it and are prepared, it will be gone. All you can do is protect against the opportunistic thief. Can you lock the box in the car when you are away?

Offline Craigandmelanie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
Hi Plusnq
The box we are looking at is 1200x600 so unfortunately will not fit in the back of the Cruiser
Cheers
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
i travel with two pelican cases (until my canopy comes, anyways)...

i just put a lock on each one and then i have made up a small stainless cable with loops on each end.  run one loop around one of the tie-downs in the back of the ute, loop it through the loop on the other end of the cable, run it through the handles of each of the pelican cases and then lock it up on the other side of the tub with another lock.

has worked for me.  as others have said, if they really want it, they'll get it, but the locks and cable seems to be a worthwhile deterrent for the opportunistic thief.

Offline juniorgc

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
Have travelled a lot with a large box on the camper and never had anyone even look at going into it.  I think if you put a lock on it they will think is has valuable things in it and break in.  We tie ours down with ratchets onto the camper.

This the only thing we lock up are the kayaks which I have made up a stainless wire rope with loops on the ends and a set of padlocks the same as the one we use in the two point on the camper when we leave it.  These are more valuable at $1500 each so we try to stop the opportunistic theft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
My spacecase is attached to the trailer via 4 short chains and turnbuckles instead of ratchet straps....a mate used ratchet straps on his same camper and it ended up cracking welds on his front box, i reckon it was due to the straps stretching a touch allowing the box to move as he drove along. Never had anything taken from the box which just has one padlock on the lid, but it's only camp chairs a small cheap ladder and the levelling ramp kept in it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Greeny

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »
I had a spacecase bolted to the tray of a ute I had, only had it secured with a small padlock for a couple years without an issue then someone took a screwdriver to it (lucky it was empty at the time). I then replaced the broken buckle with a "croc lock" and a decent padlock and never had an issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
I have  2 on my trayback if I dont take the canopy. I bolt them to the tray with a plate on each bolt so you cant pull the bolt head through. I also changed the latches to locking ones doing away with padlocks.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Craigandmelanie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks all
Might look into the chain and turnbuckle idea
 :cheers:

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 06:59:08 AM »

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 08:56:35 AM »

If you don't mind drilling holes then screws/bolts with security heads are the go, not many people carry torx head or post allen key headed screws. There's plenty of info on the web about security fasteners.

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
Just bolted two space cases onto my roof rack as suggested by Patroldude. Basically drilled some holes for u bolts to go around the rack and into the box. Some flat aluminium inside and some lock nuts to keep it in place. Still use the original holes on the box for padlocking. Pretty happy with that

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X