Author Topic: Getting a written off vehicle cleared with a VIV  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Getting a written off vehicle cleared with a VIV
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
Anyone been through it? Was thinking of buying a damaged bike and rebuilding it for a project in teh shed for something to do...
eg: if you could get this for around a 1000-1500 it would be good value.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222535446509

Sounds far too much like hard work and rules written by a desk jockey
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/written-off-vehicles/the-vehicle-identity-validation-viv-inspection

I can understand some of it to stop rebirthing etc, but FFS, there are so many good machines out there with just damaged fairings or bolt on bits that could be fixed easily...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Getting a written off vehicle cleared with a VIV
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
It may not be the same not being a vehicle but I went through the purchase of an A Van that was a re-registerable write off in Brisbane
It was a pretty painless and not expensive process. just carried out the structural work and had to take it to the inspectors who looked it over pretty well, then signed it off.
Cheers

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
NSW and VIC made it much harder though. Stat write offs are really hard to re-register.

It really goes against the governments mantra of reducing waste and recycling as you are throwing away something, just because it is cosmetically damaged. I don't like it either as I hate waste, all the energy and resources that have gone into building it, just so it can be scrapped and someone can make another one >:(

That one might be OK though, you would need the VIN and check that it isn't written off though. The DR isn't really a good option for a track bike, but would be a good motor for a buggy ;D

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
Mr Bird , I know you like bigger units ..but have a peak at the royal enfield 'Himalayan'
Yes , it's only 410cc , but new out the door for under $7k .
Dunno about longevity, but the next edition on adventure rider is doing a report on the road test - which was across India !
July edition out soon .
I was keen on the standard ones - retro looking as a adv / dirt bike seem really pricey for me to just flog around town and a bit of dirt - around town !
These have caught my eye as they are basic and reasonably priced , I mean cheap !

Every one wants an Xr or a dr , but want a sqiloindollats for a Shitty one .
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Mr Bird , I know you like bigger units ..but have a peak at the royal enfield 'Himalayan'
Yes , it's only 410cc , but new out the door for under $7k .
Dunno about longevity, but the next edition on adventure rider is doing a report on the road test - which was across India !
July edition out soon .
I was keen on the standard ones - retro looking as a adv / dirt bike seem really pricey for me to just flog around town and a bit of dirt - around town !
These have caught my eye as they are basic and reasonably priced , I mean cheap !

Every one wants an Xr or a dr , but want a sqiloindollats for a Shitty one .

We have a WR250R and an ex-Aus Army XT600 here, and some friends run DR650s - we have the problem of only being an hour from Vince Strang, so a lot of people run those...

The Himalayan does look an interesting option; that 400cc market is a bit underdone at the moment.

Other ones to look at include the SWM range - they've had a good review as well from Adventure Rider magazine.

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
NSW and VIC made it much harder though. Stat write offs are really hard to re-register.

You can't re register a Stat Write Off at all! They can only be used for parts.
In WA it's not too hard to re register a repairable write off. Just need to make sure you have all the paperwork/invoices etc. Any second hand parts need an invoice with the donor vehicle VIN on it.
Until recently I was a Written Off Vehicle Inspector for cars and motorbikes.

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645