Author Topic: Man killed while snatching out a mate - Yeppoon  (Read 24244 times)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Man killed while snatching out a mate - Yeppoon
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
I just don't understand why you don't use dampeners on anything.  Winch or  snatch.  Doesn't matter one should be used.  And I know there is some old blokes on here that will give me the old " I've been dragging trucks out of bogs for years and never needed one". Wake up people.   This type of Shit happens and happens quick.  If it doesn't seem right, don't so it.  People die!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/
The following users thanked this post: Squalo

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
Quote from: oldmate
I just don't understand why you don't use dampeners on anything.  Winch or  snatch.  Doesn't matter one should be used.  And I know there is some old blokes on here that will give me the old " I've been dragging trucks out of bogs for years and never needed one". Wake up people.   This type of Shit happens and happens quick.  If it doesn't seem right, don't so it.  People die!!

x williontybillionovich
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »

And plenty of young blokes who just seem to think it wouldn't/couldn't happen to them.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »
And plenty of young blokes who just seem to think it wouldn't/couldn't happen to them.

yeah dead right mate.  it only take .0875478 of a sec and its all over.

ps, do not quote me on the time, i didnt google it first, just guessed

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »

Straight out of Bird's Book Of Guesstimating :)

Here's one of the biggest problems with these avoidable tragedies. The media has to purposely be vague about exactly what went wrong, because fatalities require official investigations, but the results of those aren't available for some time - at which point everyone except family has forgotten about it.

So no-one in the greater public learns anything, and it happens again, and again.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
  If it doesn't seem right, don't so it.  People die!!

So true. A couple of years ago I did a day trip to Bribie and for the people who know Bribie when the lagoons were flowing they become shallow at low tide, so this young goose decides to drive into the lagoon to do circle work.

What he didn’t count on was the sand base was thin and then ankle deep mud below.  So like expected he went down to the chassis.

It didn’t take long to get a large crowd watching/filming his mate with 3 x snatch strap joined with a shackles and then using each other’s towballs with his mate going as fast as he could trying to pull him out. Some of the crowd (including kids) were standing way too close for comfort.

A couple of guys from the crowd went over and gave them some advice on how dangerous what they were doing, but they basically laughed at them. This is when myself and another couple of Dad’s walked our families away as didn’t want to be around (especially with kids) if it went bad.

Luckily nothing happened, but it was a recipe for disaster.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
And all they had to do was the magazine thing to join the straps and use the hitch pin - safety factor increased tenfold for zero cost and 5 mins
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 01:12:08 PM »
And all they had to do was the magazine thing to join the straps and use the hitch pin - safety factor increased tenfold for zero cost and 5 mins
Ahh, it's finally become clear.
For years I've been trying to figure why the hell they keep producing all of those rubbish 4wd magazines.
And there it is... They only exist to join snatch straps together.

But then that raises another question, how many recoveries are people doing that they need annual subscriptions for those things?
Surely a driver training course would be a better investment?

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
Ahh, it's finally become clear.
For years I've been trying to figure why the hell they keep producing all of those rubbish 4wd magazines.
And there it is... They only exist to join snatch straps together.

But then that raises another question, how many recoveries are people doing that they need annual subscriptions for those things?
Surely a driver training course would be a better investment?

You mean those books full of ads people pay for?  8)
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
Hi,
    With no mag, you can afford more stuff.
Ironic - somewhat.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
yeah dead right mate.  it only take .0875478 of a sec and its all over.

It's ok mate, I'm 113% sure that you're dead accurate............
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
True true.  You would be surprised at the amount of 4wd owners who don't know how too join straps.  2015 cape trip.  Nolans brook.  I had to teach a group of 4 cars lol decked out with all the kit how to do it.  They had NFI

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
Straight out of Bird's Book Of Guesstimating :)

Here's one of the biggest problems with these avoidable tragedies. The media has to purposely be vague about exactly what went wrong, because fatalities require official investigations, but the results of those aren't available for some time - at which point everyone except family has forgotten about it.

So no-one in the greater public learns anything, and it happens again, and again.
But it wouldn't be to hard to add a line in the story to say: Investigations are ongoing into the exact cause, but don't forget to use a dampener folks it can prevent a shackle becoming a missile in case something breaks.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »
You mean like adding a bit of extra film clip to the news- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NnL83UpuQ
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
^^^^^^ farktard has a winch it seems and was snatching?  What could go wrong...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:09 PM »
Hi
     And how many legally own firearms I wonder to myself!

Darwin failed that one    -     this time.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 01:20:25 AM »
Bit of energy in the things- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-p_o91f7Y
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 05:18:35 AM »
True true.  You would be surprised at the amount of 4wd owners who don't know how too join straps.  2015 cape trip.  Nolans brook.  I had to teach a group of 4 cars lol decked out with all the kit how to do it.  They had NFI

You would be surprised how many people have no idea how to actually engage 4wd on their vehicle, lock the hubs in if fitted or even jack up their car and change a wheel.

Stupid people are everywhere these days

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
My condolences to the blokes family that got killed.

I was just talking  to a work colleague  the other day who was adamant his factory tie down points were acceptable  for recoveries. The salesman told him.. his mechanic told him. So I must be wrong..
He kept asking when he can come to the Glasshouse 4wding with us.. I kept telling him he can't.
After this convo happening about 590 times I ended up giving him a real spray.. 
Which I normally try not to do.
I try.. to tell people that stuff once.. if they don't listen. Not my problem. I'm not 4wding with them. It's their and their family's problem.

Then I looked back over all the years I have owned a 4B.
Which is since I was about 19 or 20.
Up to about 15 Years ago I was recovering off the tow ball. Didn't know any better. 
No 4wd club to tell me, no forums, was more into street cars so didn't buy mags.
Didn't go to 4wd accessory shops. Etc.
Even when I was first told, I was dumbstruck that a thinner bit of metal (rated shackle) would be stronger/safer than a thicker tow ball)
I knew jack squat about steel/application force etc.

I have seen videos 10ish years ago of 'Magazine/TV 4wd gurus'. Hooking a snatch to the front of a winch hook promoting it as a safe recovery method. (Winch rope on drum- just using it as  a connection point.

Not too many years ago, with the rise of the dual cab utes. And IFS. The major 4wd accessory shops took a bit to catch up and didn't have an answer for front recovery points. I have heard salespeople there saying just use a bridle strap and you'll be right..

Once whenever anyone was stuck I would stop and recover them.  Now I want to know, do they have rated recovery points/ their own gear/ their tyre pressures.  etc.
And when I don't help. They probably think I'm an Ahole. While I'm thinking .. if you don't pay.. (for the right gear) don't play.

I guess. What I'm saying is it's even now still hard to get info for some people.

We all learn. Someone had to tell us.
Hopefully we find better ways to educated Joe Average.
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
It's worth noting that factory tow points and factory tie down points are completely different things. Some tow points (such as the ones on my MQ Triton) are suitable for recoveries. Tie down points certainly are not.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »
Yes, the ones on my disco front and rear are transport tie down points but also rated for recoveries.
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
It's worth noting that factory tow points and factory tie down points are completely different things. Some tow points (such as the ones on my MQ Triton) are suitable for recoveries. Tie down points certainly are not.
Yes, the ones on my disco front and rear are transport tie down points but also rated for recoveries.

So they are bolted to your chassis with HT bolts and stamped with load rating?

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
Man killed while snatching out a mate - Yeppoon
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 10:01:44 AM »

Agree they are separate things however
They are not rated recovery points.

Tie down points are tie down points. Transit.
Tow points are good for a flat tow say on bitumen . or winching onto a tow truck.

They are not suitable for snatch recoveries.
Or the force of a vehicle stuck in mud, suction etc.

(Edit to try and help... ) for instance I can push my 2t 4wd on road. Even up a slight incline.  Five blokes can't move me stuck deep in sand or mud.
Much different force required.
Nature may not allow a straight line pull etc.. 

As Oldmate said
Not rated at all- there won't be a rating stamp on them.

Incidentally I have seen a Disco's  front tow point fly through (yes I mean through)  an aluminium bullbar and land still attached to the snatch strap past the recovery vehicle.
I wouldn't have considered it an overly excessive snatch.

Again. Not my problem if you disagree. Just letting you know.

(Edit) For a couple of hundred bucks. Even if you think I'm only half right.. why take the chance with your life and your family and friends.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:40:44 AM by Fathom »
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »
One of the first modifications I did to my 2nd cruiser was change the tie down points (Which everyone said were fine) to rated points with HT bolts.

Majority of my 4WDing is with friends, so odds are they would be recovering me if ever needed. My take is for $200 it reduces my chances of having a tough conversation with a friend’s family.

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
One of the first modifications I did to my 2nd cruiser was change the tie down points (Which everyone said were fine) to rated points with HT bolts.

That brings on another point.. there were issues a while ago with some 3rd party companies that were fitting bullbars etc without HT bolts.. worth checking.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home