Author Topic: Man killed while snatching out a mate - Yeppoon  (Read 24323 times)

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13
The following users thanked this post: pank

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Re: Man killed while snatching out a mate - Yeppoon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
Bugger , gotta feel for his family and friends .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:35 AM »
This one did not end well.   
Lesson for novices: a chain is not a snatch strap.

https://www.facebook.com/EmsTheFunnySide/posts/1384171765001456
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »

Have a close look. It is a strap loop connection into the back of the ute and it is a strap for the main part. Either they have spliced in a metre section of chain which I cannot imagine would happen (but is possible), or is the section that looks like chain actually the splicing (woven) section of the strap? Overseas they have round kinetic straps that you weave back on themselves to make the connection.
In any event, I am sad for the young bloke. We lost a young bloke in Hervey Bay a few years back who was well known around town.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »
Very sad.
Gets me wondering - at our workplace, our riggers and dogmen require training and tickets to move heavy loads around using winches, straps and shackles.
Unfortunately anyone can buy a strap, chain, shackles etc and try to move their 3tonnes of bogged fourby.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
Quote from: Patr80l

not really sure why the OP would post a vid of some dude getting killed.. then again that's faceplant for ya which makes no sense to me either...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
not really sure why the OP would post a vid of some dude getting killed.. then again that's faceplant for ya which makes no sense to me either...

I was reading through some of the comments from this , and it was mentioned the the driver of the vehicle walked out unharmed , the vid that we saw was an edited version and evidently there is a longer version of the attempted recovery .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
While in that video, it looks like they used a combination of strap and chain, which is just dangerous any way you look at it. I was always under the impression that a chain didn't recoil when it breaks. I have been told by people that are supposedly in the know, and thinking about it, you'd think that the potential energy would be dissipated as the links go loose. I did a bit of searching via google, and found something that has changed my view on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBOlK1oEXY

While the chain possibly/probably recoils less than a snatch strap or cable, the weight of the chain hitting something at any speed would do a lot of damage. Connecting a chain to a snatch strap is a bit like tying a sinker to a rubber band and stretching it. A recipe for disaster.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »
Reasonably well known in the bush using plant to snig trees, other plant etc that a chain will come back at you and possibly through the windscreen if it breaks. The older loader operators would always raise their buckets as a barrier if possible.

None of this is taught in plant training unfortunately unless the trainer understands the issues as the expectation is always that you don't overstress chains or even don't use them unless absolutely necessary. They also don't like sudden massive stresses also even if well within supposed weight limits

Very sad incident

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
Probably a good time to remind people of how to safely use a snatch strap....they aren't designed to be used with big run ups, if you need a big run up to extricate the vehicle, then you either haven't done the right prep work for a safe recovery or are using the wrong recovery item for that recovery. I bogged this vehicle to the axles for this video, you don't see it in the video but the vehicle recovering it stalled when the snatch strap pulled tight, and it was still enough energy in the strap to unbog my Cruiser.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oISdDPliZSA
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: db, rmf1979

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
http://www.whyalla4wd.org.au/Shackles.html

Determine Speed of Shackle if Snatch Strap Breaks.

If all the Elastic Energy of the Snatch Strap is transferred to Kinetic Energy in the Shackle then the peak Speed of the Shackle as the Snatch Strap returns to it's 9.0m length can be determined. (Assuming no losses due to friction)

From Energy Conservation,
Elastic Energy in Snatch Strap = Kinetic Energy of Shackle
 PEStrap = KEShackle
 1/2 k x2 = 1/2 m v2
 where k = spring constant
 x = distance stretched (meters)
 m = mass of shackle (kg)
 v = velocity of shackle (m/s)
 1/2 (20750N/m) (0.579m)2 = 1/2 (0.68kg) v2
 v = 101m/s

or Peak Speed of Shackle   v = 364 km/h
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
http://www.whyalla4wd.org.au/Shackles.html

Determine Speed of Shackle if Snatch Strap Breaks.

If all the Elastic Energy of the Snatch Strap is transferred to Kinetic Energy in the Shackle then the peak Speed of the Shackle as the Snatch Strap returns to it's 9.0m length can be determined. (Assuming no losses due to friction)

From Energy Conservation,
Elastic Energy in Snatch Strap = Kinetic Energy of Shackle
 PEStrap = KEShackle
 1/2 k x2 = 1/2 m v2
 where k = spring constant
 x = distance stretched (meters)
 m = mass of shackle (kg)
 v = velocity of shackle (m/s)
 1/2 (20750N/m) (0.579m)2 = 1/2 (0.68kg) v2
 v = 101m/s

or Peak Speed of Shackle   v = 364 km/h

Should have left the link off and impressed us with your mathmatic skills.
I get a headache nowadays with any number over 10.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Should have left the link off and impressed us with your mathmatic skills.

These days I'm as bad as the kid at the Chinese last night who couldn't work out in his head the change from a $10 note for $8.40 of noodle box.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

x2

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
These days I'm as bad as the kid at the Chinese last night who couldn't work out in his head the change from a $10 note for $8.40 of noodle box.
None, it's called a tip  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Quote from: Troopy_03
None, it's called a tip  ;D
What Shitted me most was the owners attitude to the kid who was tryin to use the calculator on the counter (I didn't mind) and then the owner said "its his first day"...

I replied 'everyone started somewhere... give the kid a break ya arrogant prick, the joints flat out and hes doin his best and I'm in no rush...'
he didn't like that... probably spat in my noodles.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »

What Shitted me most was....   he probably spat in my noodles.

Talk about lucky then. ...   ya dinner had some flavour then?    ..... 

as well as texture  --   (being served in its own box)...     

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Probably a good time to remind people of how to safely use a snatch strap....they aren't designed to be used with big run ups, if you need a big run up to extricate the vehicle, then you either haven't done the right prep work for a safe recovery or are using the wrong recovery item for that recovery. I bogged this vehicle to the axles for this video, you don't see it in the video but the vehicle recovering it stalled when the snatch strap pulled tight, and it was still enough energy in the strap to unbog my Cruiser.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oISdDPliZSA

Great video, should be mandatory viewing on DVD with every strap purchase.

13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
Great video, should be mandatory viewing on DVD with every strap purchase.
:cheers:  it was made for a Fraser Island Fishing Expo quite a few years ago, filmed by WIN TV and unfortunately with the event being solely sponsored by Toyota we weren't allowed to show the non Toyota vehicle owned by the guy in the video doing the recovering...it would have been nice to show the recovering vehicle stalling, just to show speed is not required to make a snatch strap work how it's designed to do
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
Not many details, but a good reminder to be careful.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/man-killed-by-snapped-strap-while-trying-to-tow-mate-on-beach-20170615-gws7am.html

Even if the details were spelled out to the media organisation(s) they will still report it in words and terms that they themselves can understand. No, it's not a 'freak towing accident'; that's when a propeller falls off a plane flying overhead and severs the snatch strap during a recovery.

Someone simply (and sadly) didn't follow correct safety procedures. Sounds to me like a shackle might have been attached to a tie-down point on the bogged vehicle... a flying strap alone won't kill a driver especially if it's already disipated most of its kinetic energy by breaking a window.

Condolences to family and friends of all involved :(
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
So what does it say about winches with big heavy hooks on them and the strap around the tree breaks? Sounds to me like they should only have a strap loop on the end of them?

(I used to worry the life out of my teachers not sticking to the curriculum too)
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
So what does it say about winches with big heavy hooks on them and the strap around the tree breaks? Sounds to me like they should only have a strap loop on the end of them?
you don't use a winch blanket?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »
Now that I have a 4wd with a winch I think I'll be using that over the snatch strap when needed. Just that little bit less risk of something going wrong

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »

(I used to worry the life out of my teachers not sticking to the curriculum too)

As Bird said, that's what winch blankets are for, but rope is not nearly as dangerous as steel winch cables. I've personally sat in a vehicle hanging on a rope when the winch has stalled, bonnet raised and ducked behind the dash to be sure, as the rope was cut with a hacksaw (and you can bet the mate cutting it was nervous but he cut it at the hook so it was only going to go away from him) - and the rope simply drops to the ground, no recoil.

Latest on this says "Initial investigations suggest a tow point on the bull bar of the car being towed broke, causing the towing strap to fly through the back window of Mr Poulsen's car and hit him."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/tributes-for-man-who-died-trying-to-help-a-mate-on-central-queensland-beach-20170616-gwt1so.html

You see tow points welded or bolted to bullbars, I always wonder about them. Recovery point bolted to the chassis, independent of the bullbar, is the only thing I trust.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »
Latest on this says "Initial investigations suggest a tow point on the bull bar of the car being towed broke, causing the towing strap to fly through the back window of Mr Poulsen's car and hit him."
You'd reckon it had to be a single cab ute and something heavy attached to that strap but what about the seat headrest or did he have one hand on the wheel and head cocked around in the middle looking out the back window and all the planets had aligned. That's like the 15yr old lass at my son's old school walking the dog and tripped over the lead and hit her head on the corner of the kerb and gone.
That's the sort of stuff that made Ripleys before the internet age - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley%27s_Believe_It_or_Not%21
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.