Author Topic: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks  (Read 33311 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
I think the composting loo needs to be at 14 degrees or more to start working. In spite of a warmish bathroom, it is still sitting on a very cold floor. The Polycore is very good and the rest of the walls in the van are comfortable. But I think the floor under the compost container is very cold.

These loos take a while to compost toilet paper. So, as a big toilet paper user, I put in 500 compost worms two days before we left home, without realising that these worms pee 60%  of their body weight every single day. It went great for a few days and the compost level dropped by a good two inches with no loo paper in sight. Then it all turned into a watery mush which had to be carried down and emptied at the dump point. But the fan kept the smell out of the van.

So we started again with fresh peat just before our heater failed and a similar thing happened because the loo was extremely cold. So we emptied it again and did a really deep clean.

A new peat brick plus two 150 watt work lights in the bathroom with the aircon running 24-7 seems to be helping. We are keeping the flap open because water was condensing inside the compost container, agitating more regularly and adding more dry peat if the bed looks a bit too damp. We are also using the amenities block a bit more often.

When we get home I plan to rig up a little 12 volt heating pad under the compost container to keep the lower surface at about 50 degrees. They are cheap and draw only a couple of amps or so, to be used only in cold weather.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 05:33:08 PM »
I think the composting loo needs to be at 14 degrees or more to start working. In spite of a warmish bathroom, it is still sitting on a very cold floor. The Polycore is very good and the rest of the walls in the van are comfortable. But I think the floor under the compost container is very cold.

These loos take a while to compost toilet paper. So, as a big toilet paper user, I put in 500 compost worms two days before we left home, without realising that these worms pee 60%  of their body weight every single day. It went great for a few days and the compost level dropped by a good two inches with no loo paper in sight. Then it all turned into a watery mush which had to be carried down and emptied at the dump point. But the fan kept the smell out of the van.

So we started again with fresh peat just before our heater failed and a similar thing happened because the loo was extremely cold. So we emptied it again and did a really deep clean.

A new peat brick plus two 150 watt work lights in the bathroom with the aircon running 24-7 seems to be helping. We are keeping the flap open because water was condensing inside the compost container, agitating more regularly and adding more dry peat if the bed looks a bit too damp. We are also using the amenities block a bit more often.

When we get home I plan to rig up a little 12 volt heating pad under the compost container to keep the lower surface at about 50 degrees. They are cheap and draw only a couple of amps or so, to be used only in cold weather.

Keith

Some how the topic of conversation has moved from automotive to poo, given the title it maybe isn't that out of place though!

I have read the "humanure handbook" which is pretty much the text book on composting toilets. He is at a pains to say the Natureshead/Airhead type toilets aren't actually composting toilets*, but dry toilets, that is to say that their volume is to small and the contents are in there to short of a time to actually make compost. The take away is that the way they really work is just by drying out the solids, if they smell it's likely that it is too wet. More dry material (ie peat moss) is generally the solution. If you haven't read it, it's a reasonably intresting read.

Another point is it seems a lot of people put the loo paper in a seperate bin, "Europe style" to avoid it bulking up too much in the solids bin.

There’s a big difference between “compost toilets,” “composting toilets,” and “dry toilets.” A dry toilet is any toilet that doesn’t depend on water to function, like a flush toilet does. A "composting toilet" is a misnomer. Toilets don't compost, people do. A "compost toilet" collects organic material for composting elsewhere.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
I agree with you. The stuff from an Airhead has to be kept for several months before it can be regarded as compost. I also understand that it has to be heated to more than 65 degrees to kill all pathogens.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2020, 06:58:43 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
Some how the topic of conversation has moved from automotive to poo, given the title it maybe isn't that out of place though!
how could that happen around here ??? :D :D : D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2020, 07:17:21 PM »
Shit happens.
Keith

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »
Like all 4wds, only a certain few had problems. I know 2 people who owned 3ltr Patrols....did all the mods to stop it grenading, but both failed. But there is probably plenty still around with high milage with no problems at all ?

A lot of 200 series have died, and dusting is one of the culprits....but a lot of failures are getting blamed on dusting when the engines haven't been pulled down to know for sure. Most dusted engines will still run ok, a bit down on power because of lower compression and/or worn vanes in the turbo......and Keiths 200 doesn't sound like a dusted engine....time will tell ?

I,ll bet it is Gronk.  Keith has already replied stating that there was dust everywhere in the box and down the ducting.  Regardless....I,d still invest in the quality aftermarket airbox.  After all we fit bullbars, temp gauges, tyre pressure monitors, catch cans etc.etc....in an effort to protect our vehicles. Too many examples of the air box failing.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »
Might be worth a squizz for the OP. As usual, nothing is ever cut and dried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIEW4Xj-1R0

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2020, 09:53:37 AM »
My sister in law had turbo failure on her 200 a few years back. Hers was only 4 yrs old when it happened as well. Im not sure what the end cause of that failure was, but the result was replacement of both turbos.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »
If this is as well known issue as it sounds, shouldn't yota be coming to the party - full or part?
have they been? like a recall and fix ... ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:57:36 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2020, 10:41:23 AM »
Question for the mechanically mined of the group. I see that Keith’s cruiser is a 2008 model, so I assume the motors have changed a little over the past 12 years?

1.   Does a new motor drop straight in or does it need work to make it fit?
2.   I also assume the new motors have more anti-pollution gear on them, so is Keith able to remove this as he only needs to obey the pollution rules from 2008?
3.   Do new motors need to be run in, if so how will it affect towing his van home on its maiden run?

I do feel sorry for Keith as I think it’s everyone’s fear of a newish motor (No matter what brand) going bang for whatever reason as you stuck in a position of spending a lot of money to fix it or dropping a lot of money selling a broken car. Neither option is good for your back pocket.

Really hope your luck improves

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
Question for the mechanically mined of the group. I see that Keith’s cruiser is a 2008 model, so I assume the motors have changed a little over the past 12 years?

1.   Does a new motor drop straight in or does it need work to make it fit?
2.   I also assume the new motors have more anti-pollution gear on them, so is Keith able to remove this as he only needs to obey the pollution rules from 2008?
3.   Do new motors need to be run in, if so how will it affect towing his van home on its maiden run?

I do feel sorry for Keith as I think it’s everyone’s fear of a newish motor (No matter what brand) going bang for whatever reason as you stuck in a position of spending a lot of money to fix it or dropping a lot of money selling a broken car. Neither option is good for your back pocket.

Really hope your luck improves

Motor has not changed at all so it drops straight in

Gear that is attached to it has changed during the years, such as DPF and the sort, his computer will drive the engine as his original one did without a problem

New crate motors come run in, I would still take it a bit easy and run it in as well

GG

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
If this is as well known issue as it sounds, shouldn't yota be coming to the party - full or part?
have they been? like a recall and fix ... ??? ???

It is and the masses have thought about taking it to Toyota, nothing has happend that I am aware of. No recall for the airbox has been done. I believe they have changed the design of the air filter at one stage to make it a bit thicker on the sides and changed the seals.

If you trawl the web you will find many thoughts on this problem with some putting some science to it and others just banging stuff together. I have run mine stock and changed the air filter every service which is above what the service schedule tells us. I am going to change mine every 5k now and also look at mods which can help the sealing capability of the original box. Once out of warranty I may look at an aftermarket air box. I check the clean side of my box regulary and have only had a small amount of dust come through at this time. A pre filter sock on the snorkel is something I am going to run from now on when out in the dust.

GG

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
Yeah I know I have a 3.0L Patrol...
But....
I work at an educational institute that teaches apprentices in the mechanical field. We had an apprentice in recently that was overheard saying they replace about 5 or 6 yota V8's a week at their Nth Qld stealership. Take that as you will (with a acre of salt plains) but if it is true it ain't good news for yota. He was also heard saying that the new motors come with a non disclosure statement.
I hope it is sorted for you soon Keith. You need a bit of luck soon. All the best mate.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2020, 02:06:03 PM »
About 2 years ago I heard from a guy who I would call reliable said the Toyota were replacing motors on the 200 series without owners knowing during a service. They just phoned the owners saying parts hadn’t arrived and they need the car overnight and used the time to replace the motor.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
About 2 years ago I heard from a guy who I would call reliable said the Toyota were replacing motors on the 200 series without owners knowing during a service. .
Sounds like manure.. how do you go with new engine #'s?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:42:31 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I,ll bet it is Gronk.  Keith has already replied stating that there was dust everywhere in the box and down the ducting.

He also stated he doesn't do extensive outback travel. Toyota say whatever dust gets past the aircleaner is small enough to not bother the motor. So I would assume ( apart from Toyota being full of it ), that it takes a fairly long time to "dust" the engine, not just a few thousand K's on dirt.
If the vanes on the LH turbo are not badly pitted or worn, there's a fairly good chance the only damage to the engine is wear in the bores of the LH bank....not ideal, but without further wear, the engine would still run normal...with a bit less power of course.

With an aftermarket airbox at approx $1000+, I'll stick with the Donaldson filter I run in mine...no sign of dust so far for the last 2 yrs.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2020, 03:36:08 AM »
Sounds like manure.. how do you go with new engine #'s?

yep
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2020, 06:43:52 AM »
About 2 years ago I heard from a guy who I would call reliable said the Toyota were replacing motors on the 200 series without owners knowing during a service. They just phoned the owners saying parts hadn’t arrived and they need the car overnight and used the time to replace the motor.

Those mechanics are all working for supercars teams......engine change time is supposed to be 20hrs.....that would be a week at a normal Toyo dealership ??   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »

& miss out on ~$30k! :o

I would think not! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2020, 11:04:26 AM »
I just think Keith is lucky to have 30,000 'emergency' fund to pay for the repairs. Im betting like the grenade patrol's there would be a lot of people having to sell them broken for what ever they can get.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
Or took a loan out.....

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »
About a year ago I had a look at an engine oil sample for a Prado from a forum member. The level of dirt/dust indications in the oil with only 5000km on it (the oil not the car) was way to high in my opinion. It would be interesting to see what the oils are like in the 200's (if anyone has any oil sample results I'd be interested in having a look)
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2020, 02:17:29 PM »
Or took a loan out.....

Or 30k of the retirement nest egg gone.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »
Or 30k of the retirement nest egg gone.

That's what it would be for me  >:(

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
About a year ago I had a look at an engine oil sample for a Prado from a forum member. The level of dirt/dust indications in the oil with only 5000km on it (the oil not the car) was way to high in my opinion. It would be interesting to see what the oils are like in the 200's (if anyone has any oil sample results I'd be interested in having a look)

The oil is changed every 5000 km, because I do a lot of city work and was only 1,000 km old when she blew. I doubt there would be anything to learn from it.

And you guys have nailed it: the super has had a bit of a hiding. On the plus side, we were up for new injectors in the next 50,000km as well as a steering rack. That would have been about $11K all up.

Keith