Author Topic: 2 new tyres...put on the front or back ?  (Read 7274 times)

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 2 new tyres...put on the front or back ?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »

Personally I've only ever replaced sets, never 2 only. Even if there is still a bit of usable tread left on an axle.

Typically I would too, but the back tyres on our pathfinder wore out in no time due to poor alignment. No way I was wasting the front two, they still had about 80% remaining. (New ones went on the front)

yeah, I know should be rotating and wheel aligning more often!

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Firstly... (Merts) ...I'm not doing anything wrong... I rotate my wheels about every 10k and wear them down at a point where I change 4 corners at once. No ... I haven't rotated my spare but that was a conscience decision. I chuck the spare when it was past its used by.

The situation I'm in now is that I have two spares and in this situation I will rotate them and try and wear 6 tyres down at a consistent rate in order I get good value from my hard earned.

The reason my situation changed is that the vehicle has alloys as standard but a steel spare. I have chucked the steel rim spare and got two alloys for spares that makes a 6 wheel rotation a no brainer.

My only question really was whether to put the new tyres on the front or rear. They're on the front and I thank everyone for their input.😀

Apologies for the off the cuff remark about doing it wrong. Obviously situations can sometimes dictate that you need to replace less than the full set of tyres.
My comment was prompted because of the number of comments (and the tyre supplier advice) which seem to indicate that some people do this as a matter of course, rather than rotating a full set.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Andy_Q

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
We all think we are Michael Schumacher.
I always used to put the best tyres on the front. This is what my old man would do. He did in fact rally.
Understeer is easier to control than oversteer. My wife drives the Pajero more than I do and although I believe that I could control a power slide I doubt her reflexes would be correct for oversteer.
If an accident does occur it is likely to be less sever if caused by understeer. Going straight into a tree is much less dangerous than going in sideways.
I now follow the tyre manufacturer advice. Best tyres on the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 05:43:16 PM »
i think im jan bunn. but only when the weather is on.

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »
im mean only watch the weather when janes buns are on. cheers. dont care what shui is doing!

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
No issue Merts.
One thing is for sure, driving a 17 year old pathy towing 1.5T, speed's not going to be playing a role in any unfortunate situation  :cheers:

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »
Test also suggest it's easier to control a car with a front tyre blowout than a rear tyre blowout. Therefore the newies should be on the rear. Yeah I know, I didn't believe it either ..
I call bullShit
Having just recently had a drivers side front tyre blow out at 120klm/hour
A copper stt that was 90% tread left
I managed to hold onto it for a few seconds narrowly avoiding an oncoming car before being dragged across the other side of the road and onto the opposite grass bank
3 weeks later the rear  passenger side cooper stt blew out with about 30% tread left. While it was bumping and a little wobbly while I stopped at no time was control of the vehicle lost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
Yeah I'm with you lloyd having experienced both in the bad old days but I've never had a real blowout in a modern tubeless tyre. Slowdowns yes but not a catastrophic blowout but then I stick with OEM tyres or equivalents particularly with towing. Penny wise and pound foolish with the cheapys travelling to remote areas and I'm dubious about chunky off road tyres with long hauls although I reckon the Outback servos love them.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 06:04:49 AM »
I call bullShit
Having just recently had a drivers side front tyre blow out at 120klm/hour
A copper stt that was 90% tread left
I managed to hold onto it for a few seconds narrowly avoiding an oncoming car before being dragged across the other side of the road and onto the opposite grass bank
3 weeks later the rear  passenger side cooper stt blew out with about 30% tread left. While it was bumping and a little wobbly while I stopped at no time was control of the vehicle lost

That's not a very good ad for Coopers lloyd...

Yeah I'm with you lloyd having experienced both in the bad old days but I've never had a real blowout in a modern tubeless tyre. Slowdowns yes but not a catastrophic blowout but then I stick with OEM tyres or equivalents particularly with towing. Penny wise and pound foolish with the cheapys travelling to remote areas and I'm dubious about chunky off road tyres with long hauls although I reckon the Outback servos love them.

That's interesting prodigy. The ONLY blowouts I've ever had were with 2 of the OEM tyres on the Patrol, within a couple of days of each other. Never had an issue with BFG's, on any terrain.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 06:06:52 AM »
I'd have thought the rear would do more work driving and all the weight on it would be better off..

but also depends how worn your other tyres are.

Yep....

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....