Author Topic: The time has come.  (Read 2717 times)

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
The time has come.
« on: June 16, 2022, 12:28:14 AM »
So got an email from an unknown asking if anyone on the list has been given notice that the permanent vans in our caravan park are to be removed. One unknown replied that he also had received it. I shot of an email to a few I know but no response yet. I replied to the original email and was told it was via registered mail. Well that explains what the letter is that I have to pick up from the post office tomorrow. Sounds like it is the 3rd park in the area to do away with permanents. I'll have to sell the van to be removed from site, I'm not interested in moving it myself. This ends an era of 58 years of holidays at Bright for the wife, only missing 2 Christmas's in all that time. Think it's about 40 years for me missing 2 as well. 2 years we went to Queensland. Daughter isn't happy, she has a lot of friends up there but they stay 1 or 2 weeks, they will still be there, but not us. Doubt that we will continue to go to Bright, rather spend the time in other spots now we won't be tied to there, not that we didn't go other places with our tents and campers over those years. Have to start thinking were to this Christmas, it's coming up quick and need to book. Maybe might have to look into a new modern van for touring. Maybe getting a bit old for the camper trailer now. Then again maybe not rush into that.

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: The time has come.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 03:23:29 AM »
Mate that is tough news. So many memories.   :'(

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »
Had a few I know in the same position. How old is the van ? Has it got a built on annexe etc…no wheels ?
Some are very hard to remove, and finding a buyer is hard.
Some have waited until the eviction date then just walked away.
Hope it all works out ok !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 03:13:41 PM »
Got to the end of August to get out. Could and should of given us notice at Christmas time. Moving out, well has been expected that it would happen. Most are not happy about the time period we have received.  Is about 19 vans that have to go. Some with hard annexes, toilets and showers, tin and poly tarp flyovers, deckings and cut off A frame towing bars.  Most have been there a long time and never moved. Don't know how long ours has been there but could be 30 to 35 years maybe. I wouldn't tow it without a good going over and repairing what's needed to tow. Know that some will do that or flat bed it out to somewhere else.
We are going up there on Sunday to do a clean out, take stuff to the tip, to the town op shop, bin some rubbish in the park bins of course, bring home what we want, take some photos to advertise  with. Will put it up for sale and see what happens. It's a 1978 Franklin Arrow, canvas annexe with large poly tarp flyovers. Needs new tyres, lights checked and fixed, jockey wheel and the hydrolic brakes redone and registered or a tow permit. If not sold close to the date ring a caravan dealer in Wangarratta to come and take it away. Has been quite a few vans sold on site and packed up and taken away. Hope he doesn't expected his 5% fee for selling a van whilst on site from us.
As someone once said.
Such Is life.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 06:54:01 PM »
What is the reason for giving everyone the arse? I've heard a few things on TV about it in recent times, but never listened to closely
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 08:48:13 PM »
Did not state a reason but has been said by other park owners they make more money from not having vans on the sites permanently. Yearly fees for us was around $5,500 for 100 days usage including electricity charges. Yes permanent vans had their own meter and charged usage costs plus service fee. Thing I plugged into was installed 60 years ago. No real work done on it since then. Talk was that water was going to go that way too. We were on a 12 month contract and they just said contracts were not being renewed.  Guy down the road had a van at a park on the Murray River somewhere and was chucked out too about 6 weeks ago. Does seem common accurance now.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 11:14:20 PM »
Its sad.  but park owners are now realising that they can convert a permanent site that delivers $5k per annum into a cabin or other accommodation that delivers $100k per annum if they spend $$. Or, sell the whole land parcel lot for developemnt...  No brainer, unfortunately....  :'(
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 06:30:09 PM »
Somebody has said if 1 permanent was to leave the park the rst would be asked to go too. Got there today to find the guy beside me gone, even the little garden between us at the front. I'll  just blame him.  2 caravans and 4 cabins not counting us. Sort of typical for this time of year.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 08:01:26 PM »
Along the coast, a lot of council owned parks are doing the same.
Put in a few cabins and hope the summer rentals outweigh what the permanents were bringing in.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 10:46:34 AM »
What did yuou end up doing
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 12:03:27 AM »
You need to remember nowadays something goes bump in the night somebody is to blame and somebody has to pay-
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-23/caravan-park-insurance-premium-for-victorian-holiday-parks/101802766
and the latest floods won't help either.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 04:39:39 AM »
I didn’t see this thread earlier. I feel for the OP. Our family have had a caravan on a permanent site since 1968 and I dread being asked to leave.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 04:41:12 AM by DandyD »
The following users thanked this post: bede