Author Topic: Cape York 2023 …. MySwag trip  (Read 8715 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Cape York 2023 …. MySwag trip
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2022, 07:04:02 PM »
Its all good everyone that goes will have a ball, But for me this year is 40 years sense I started going up the cape, and my 20th trip this year when I go up for 8 weeks, in a months time, Craig
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 07:58:14 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2022, 10:23:46 PM »
In my trips to the Cape and surrounds I've taken some new people who haven't really driven a 4WD. They want to know what mods do I need for my vehicle.
Let me say that even a stock 4x4 will do the trip if you take your time and don't abuse it.

I've said it before in earlier threads, but in many ways the difficultly of the OTT has been over hyped.  This will be my 7th trip up there and each time the track has gotten easier, there are so many vehicles doing it now that by the time the June/July peak season starts the track is so well worn it might as well be sealed.  On the McGirr trips we always had a least one vehicle that was stock.  From memory one even had highway treads on it.  It got through along with all the others, it just needed a little help from time to time.  Trailers are not an issue as long as they aren't too wide.  On the 2014 trip we had 20+ vehicles, the majority with campers on.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2022, 09:21:53 AM »
Good points Dan.

There are a couple of us on the list who have taken campers to the tip via the OTL more than once.

There is a couple of us who have also been recovery vehicles on Cape trips with one trip having 17 vehicles.

As for damage ….. mostly just chipped windscreens from on coming traffic on the development road.

There is also those who know better and get them selves into strife …. That’s life.

Most damage I have seen has been from taking things to fast …. No need with multiple vehicles.

The other must haves are CB radio, medical.

yogi
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 09:24:57 AM by yogi »

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2022, 02:59:16 PM »
Sorry been sick the last couple of weeks … will have some itinerary ideas up over the next week or 2 :)

yogi

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »
Bringing this back to the top as there may be more people interested.

Still going at this stage,
Dan.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2022, 11:40:06 AM »
I’m on the interested list but not confirmed. It will be myself and my wife, possibly with my 12 year old boy and 14 year old daughter.
Vehicle is a 3 year old Vw Amarok towing a 7 year old Modcon ff camper

Sent from me

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2022, 07:50:20 AM »
Would love to go but will be in the NT running a roadhouse next year.

For the first timers, it's a great trip. You can make it as hard or as easy as you want.

As the creator of Cape York Adventures face book group, I have a number of contacts up there if people want to go fishing, stay on an island, fishing shirts for the trip, etc.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
Might give some thought to this. I can drop swmbo at cairns go on my merry way

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2022, 07:03:10 PM »
Just as a follow up, I’m becoming more likely and will probably be bringing my brother-in-law and wife. They have a 16ft caravan, but it’s not off road. What are the plans for vans?  And sleep stops?

Sent from me

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2022, 07:14:14 PM »
Just as a follow up, I’m becoming more likely and will probably be bringing my brother-in-law and wife. They have a 16ft caravan, but it’s not off road. What are the plans for vans?  And sleep stops?

Sent from me

Don’t take it past Cook Town unless you have lots of tubes of glue to put it back together 😉
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2022, 02:59:01 PM »
Do we have any provisional dates as I would need to book time off from work.
Thanks Lloyd

Sent from me

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2022, 07:37:19 PM »
Dates to me are open. My choice would be not in the school holidays but that certainly won't suit some with kids that will be coming along. So whats suits the masses will suit us.

As far as taking a caravan. Yes, it can and has been done. As far as meeting up for camping that can also be able to be arranged but probably not all camps on the Tele Track. If you wanted to do the Track as well you will probably be doing a lot of back tracking along the   Development Road to collect the van.
The Development Road can be rough and corrugated and it will/and does shake a caravan to pieces, so that is a choice you have to make.

Dan.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2022, 07:10:18 PM »
Have we settled on exact dates yet?  Are we just sticking to the QLD school holidays?
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2022, 08:41:17 PM »
Well yogi started this, but hasn’t edited the front message since April. However he was only online yesterday.
I’m pretty flexible and based in Brisbane.

Sent from me

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2022, 01:04:15 PM »
I am easy with dates .... but though given some members have kids that it might be over school holidays ?

My plan would be for more than 2 weeks but I can work around that initial period :D

These use to start on the first Sunday of the QLD school holidays with us leaving Cairns that morning.

What are peoples thoughts ?

yogi

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2022, 01:05:58 PM »
Some initial thoughts for the itinerary ........

Meetup in Cairns and head to Elim Beach via the Bloomfield Track / Cooktown (potential 2 days)

(Option) Meetup in Cairns and head to Lions Den Hotel via the CREB

(Option) Lions Den Hotel to Elim Beach to meet up with the rest of the members

Elim Beach along battlecamp rd to the development rd before stopping at Musgrave for lunch. From there we travelled to Coen and camped at Archer river that night (Endeavour falls is an option if Elim Beach is out)

Archer River Roadhouse to Dulhunty River. Today we tackle the start of the OTL and camp at Dulhunty River.

(Option) Dulhunty River. Enjoy a day relaxing in the clear waters of the Dulhunty River.

Dulhunty River to Eliot Falls. We tackle the remaining southern part of the OTL crossing, Gunshot creek and Cockatoo Creek.

Relax and swim in the crystal clear waters of the falls. Members must book the camp sites at Eliot falls. You use to only be able to book 6 months in advance.

Eliot Falls to the OLD Jardine River Crossing.

(Option) travel via the Development road to Vrilya Point and take a southern route along the beach to Cotterell River. Approx 28klm drive along the beach

(Option) Explore the area , fish and watch the stunning sunsets over the Gulf.

Head up to the Cape.

Explore the Cape and the surrounding areas.

yogi
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:11:15 PM by yogi »

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2022, 01:10:27 PM »
And for anyone interested in doing longer we can have a back leg to the trip and go inland on the way home :D

yogi
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:13:02 PM by yogi »

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2022, 11:17:50 AM »

Sent from me

A niece and hubby went to the Cape last month, towing this. They left it at Bramwell Station (Tourist Park) for the drive to the tip. Cost was $30 for storage and overnight on return.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2022, 11:35:26 AM »
The worst part of the road we encountered a couple of years back was from Musgrave to Coen
Tyre pressure and finding the correct speed for your rig was the secrete
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
I’m liking the sound of this so far. I’m happy with 3-4 weeks including my part of the trip from Brisbane and back.
Thanks for the info steffo

Sent from me

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2022, 09:05:14 PM »
I am easy with dates .... but though given some members have kids that it might be over school holidays ?

My plan would be for more than 2 weeks but I can work around that initial period :D

These use to start on the first Sunday of the QLD school holidays with us leaving Cairns that morning.

What are peoples thoughts ?

yogi

Well I take it that since Yogi is open to dates that people post up dates that would suit them and we try and work it out amongst ourselves. I would suggest that the start date is the day we leave Cairns. So you need to figure arriving in Cairns before then. The end date is when we reach the Top. You will need to figure your time to travel home.

Itinerary :- This is only a suggestion.
Day 1.   Cairns to Lions Den via Bloomfield Track.    Personally we are not a fan of staying at the Lions Den and usually camp at a private camp ground a few K's away from there. Nice rain forest setting. We could split up and catch up at set time in the morning.
Day 2.  Lions Den to Cook Town - BattleCamp Road to (INSERT 1) Coen. Camp north of Coen at the River. Another day could be added here if the majority wanted to go to Elim Beach and the Coloured Sands. Then Camp could be made at Elim Beach.
Day 3. Coen to Bramwell Junction Roadhouse. Start of the Track. Usually we camp there or just cross Palm Creek and camp.
Day 4. Continue North. Camp when we have had enough. But do the southern section, cross to the Northern Section - visit Fruit Bat Falls - Elliot Falls and generally Camp at Canal Creek, There is No rush , so an extra day could be spent here to back track to the Falls or walk from Canal Creek. Never done it but apparently it is there.
Day 5. Canal Creek to Nolans Brook. Great crossing - can be challenging. Will be soft if a lot of vehicles are going through. Camp there as it is fun to watch some of the antics. Another day there maybe - Good swimming as are a lot of the crossings.
Day 6. Nolans to Old Jardine river crossing. Cross here if desired (ferry costs money). Anyway/which ever way cross the Jardine and head north. We normally camp on the beach.
Day 7. Head to the Tip to get the Photo for posterity. Visit the Croc Tent.
(INSERT 1) - Laura - then the start of Old Coach Road. 1 day in and out with a little site seeing.

So you see 7 days plus it would be easy to add a few more. This may happen (add more days) if the Track is busy because there can be hold ups from traffic at some of the crossings and I'm not into traveling in the dark.

After doing the Tip we could split up. There are other things to do up here - Seven Beach run -------- East cost.

A day trip to Thursday Island and Horn Island was good value for money. A lot of Military History here. Or visit a pearl farm on Friday Island - Mum will love this.

And yes, some of us could continue on and keep touring on the return trip - Forbidden Run (this would take some planning and time and tide have a lot to do with this run.)  Weipa - Penefeather River. Creb Track - Zig Zag Track - Suggest something.

All things don't suit everybody,
Dan.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2022, 06:06:36 AM »
Looks like a pretty good plan mate, here's my thoughts -

Day 1 - Cairns to Lions Den.  If your private camping spot has room we'd like to join you.
Day 2 - Lions Den to Endeavour Falls.  Spend an hour or two at Cooktown looking around and then off to Endeavour.
Day 3 - Endeavour to Archer River, camp at the roadhouse.
Day 4 - Archer River to Dulhunty River.  Hopefully Palm Creek will be kind to us and we get there early enough to secure a spot on the river.
Day 5 - Dulhunty River to Canal Creek.  Spend a couple of hours at Fruit Bat on the way up, then set up camp at Canal.
Day 6 - Canal Creek to Nolans Brook.  Camp at Nolans or at the old Jardine crossing.
Day 7 - Head up to Seisia, set up camp and then on to the tip for the Croc tent and photo.
Day 8 - Thursday Island.
Day 9 - Five beaches run for a look around and some lunch.
Day 10 - Have a look at the plane wrecks around Bamaga and visit the old radar tower
Day 11 - Head south, kids will want a swim at Fruit Bat.  Camp at Bramwell, either at the roadhouse or the tourist park.
Day 12 - Decent drive down to Laura, camp somewhere nearby - maybe down a bit further and set up camp on the Palmer River.  Leave the camper off, I'm not doing the Old Coach Road with a camper on again.
Day 13 - Old Coach Road to Maytown, then back to camp.
Day 14 - Back to Cairns

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »
Hi Symon,

The big rock step on the Old Coach Road is after the Plamer river ?

yogi

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2022, 06:45:36 PM »
Hi Symon,

The big rock step on the Old Coach Road is after the Plamer river ?

yogi

I thought it was on the northern end, up near Jowalbinna?

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2022, 07:08:25 PM »
I thought it was on the northern end, up near Jowalbinna?

Yep. North of Palmer river
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....