Author Topic: Metalian Australia  (Read 22488 times)

Offline Metalian Australia

• Learning the Ropes
Metalian Australia
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »
We've been in the camper trailer business since 2009 when we imported the first Conqueror Commander (predecessor for the UEV-490) into Australia, and subsequently became the agent for Conqueror. During the next few years we learn't a lot about what works and what needs improvement - and the fact that mild steel tends to pick up rust in our mainly coastal environment.

After more research we decided that 3CR12 stainless steel would meet our requirements as it has been developed for construction of South African mining machinery and vehicles. This lead us to Metalian off road campers from South Africa. We met Heinz - the owner and designer of Metalian - in 2012 and reached agreement to become the sole agent for Australia due to our experience in the market and as we are dedicated off-road campers ourselves. 

The Metalian campers are of true monocoque design, combined with the strength of the 3CR12 steel results in a very light trailer with huge storage capacity for its external dimensions - more than 2800 litres in fact at a weight of under 500kg for the base fully off-road trailer.

Three years of developement followed to enhance and test it for Australian conditions, using Australian components such as AlKo 12' electric brakes, axle and eye-to-eye off road rebound springs. Combined with the Vehicle Components DO35 coupler, we believe this is amongst the most capable off-road trailers available. We are applying ongoing enhancements and I will be posting a number of questions in the future and will appreciate your feedback.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:58:09 PM by Metalian Australia »

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Metalian Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:20:52 AM »
Welcome to MySwag, a great looking trailer

GG
The following users thanked this post: Metalian Australia

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 08:07:58 AM »
Wow, same size as a Disco! It ain't small, that's for sure.

Good looking beast, though.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »
Nice.
Any pics of it open showing all the goodies?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline wolften

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:57:45 PM »
Very nice, lotsa goodies, very interested

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:02:50 AM »
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the enquiry - here are two photos of the Howling Moon XT Deluxe trailer top tent open, showing the additional room and one of the side awnings. The fully optioned price include the same size side awning on the opposite (nose cone)side plus all side walls to fully enclose the whole area.

Please have a look at our Facebook site Metalian Australia for more photos https://www.facebook.com/Metalian-Australia-1035437366480277/

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:05:33 AM by Metalian Australia »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »
I keep clicking your link to your website and keep going in circles to stalkerbook.. I think its broken

http://www.metalian.com.au/
???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wolften

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
I imagine that is their website for now.

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
Yes thanks Wolften and Bird  - unfortunately our website is still under development - it is taking a bit longer as we are using a young startup company instead of outsourcing it to an offshore IT shop. So our Facebook site and the fantastic MySwag  :D is being used to share some information in the interim.
The following users thanked this post: db

Offline fergy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
That's a nice trailer you got there metalian
1996 Suzuki Sierra    2008 jayco hawk now gone 1978 millard pop top
Iveco daily 4x4
WR450F

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »
Thanks Fergy - and we must admit it looks even nicer 'in the flesh' - not a single pop rivet used in the construction apart from attaching some anodized stone protection plates to the front. Another distinguishing feature - it can be supplied in any external colour of your choice. The Australian version of the smaller models (Midi and Midi Low Profile) will be released soon, with an even smaller version - the Mini - to follow.

Offline SNAFU

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
Went a saw one of these in person today. Very nice trailer and it comes with everything. If you don't need something it becomes cheaper as you take stuff away which is cool.

Only issue is drawbar length, with my ute having a tray there isn't going to be enough clearance between the tray and the front of the trailer. Waiting to see if they can extend the drawbar to accommodate my vehicle. If they can then I think I found the trailer i'm going to get.

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:08:44 PM »
Hi Snafu - thanks for the complement and glad that you share our views on the Metalian. Did you measure how much of an extension you require to clear your tray when you were at Steven's place? The drawbar is a crucial component of the whole design and extending it will be subject to fairly significant redesign and testing. As your tray isn't a standard length available in South Africa, we would require some measurements to determine what the options are. One of the quick and easy fixes used in the past with another brand was to use a 300mm extended towing hitch, still rated at 2250kg.  Could you please let me know how much of an extension is required with the longer towing hitch it place so that I can discuss it with Heinz (designer and owner of Metalian South Africa). I've received the photos from Steven but it's hard to estimate the measurements from the photos.

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 08:09:33 AM »
Hi Snafu - just an update that I've received from Heinz -

"I’ve read a few comments that our trailer drawbar is too short, so making a retractable/extendable drawbar is a good idea. The drawbar is uber strong for sure. As for cost. I will not charge for this or any similar improvement. We simply need to have the best solution and negate all negative comments as best possible.

In some ways, this simplifies some issues, while adding marginal cost. I have an idea of what I would do (I’ve been looking at what the Aussies do, and will no doubt take a similar route), but have yet to do the drawing. Should not take me long to do this. I’ll check on timing and advise"

So good news - I've also updated Steven and will keep him informed.

Regards,
Anton

Offline SNAFU

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:54:14 PM »
Thanks Anton,

Steve has been great and he got back to me saying the extended draw bar wouldn't be an issue so my order should be placed very shortly (hopefully in time to get in on the June shipment)

Cheers

Andy

KingBilly

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »
Ah, so this is a trailer made by the famous Heinz  :cup:  I have read lot's of positive comments about him on a SA forum I am a member of.  Explains why the trailer looks so good  ;D

KB

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 08:48:49 PM »
Thanks KB - Yes I'm fortunate that I've been to Heinz's factory a couple of times during the past three years while we were working on the changes required for our Australian environment. So I'm happy that we have a quality product that can match the best in the market and significantly cheaper that the main competition.  He's a remarkable person and I'm looking forward to providing another product choice with the backing from Heinz to further enhance the Metalians as required for the local market.
Thanks for your positive comments!

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 10:15:38 PM »
very much like...and welcome
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 11:49:18 PM »
Thank Kev - had a look at your nice website - I think the only think that can improve would be some nice Metalian photos!

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
Thank Kev - had a look at your nice website - I think the only think that can improve would be some nice Metalian photos!

lol...thanks......
let me know what you might have in mind....am always happy to sell and move on.....
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

KingBilly

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 08:07:56 AM »
He's a remarkable person and I'm looking forward to providing another product choice with the backing from Heinz to further enhance the Metalians as required for the local market

If it is his rumoured hybrid, I will be very interested  :cup:

KB

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Yes KB the hybrid looks very interesting! Unfortunately it's just a prototype at this stage (photo attached). What is more likely to see the light is a much more compact version of the trailer, but still offering as much storage space as the Patriot X2. The existing 'Mini' - or Low Profile Midi as it's called in Australia - has about the same storage space as the larger Patriot X1, but is much more compact and lighter. And about $20,000 cheaper for the fully optioned model!

KingBilly

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »
Yep, that's the one.  Bring it on  :cup:

KB

Offline Matt211181

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 10:12:48 PM »
Hi Anton - would it be possible to get a video showing the complete setup process of the tent and the awnings? I'm wondering how the awnings attach to the tent and long the complete setup might take - so a video would be great.

Also, do you know if it would be possible to incorporate a bagged awning (180 or 270 degree) over the kitchen area like the Patriot or Drifta DOT?

Cheers
Matt

Offline SNAFU

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »
Hi Anton - would it be possible to get a video showing the complete setup process of the tent and the awnings? I'm wondering how the awnings attach to the tent and long the complete setup might take - so a video would be great.

Also, do you know if it would be possible to incorporate a bagged awning (180 or 270 degree) over the kitchen area like the Patriot or Drifta DOT?

Cheers
Matt

I Checked one of these out the other day and the main tent fly/tropical roof comes back out over the kitchen so it always has a small cover. The awnings zip and velcro on but you can leave one attached if you like . I actually prefer this design to the wing style awning as it provides complete no gap coverage which will be much nicer in bad weather.

The main tent and kids room is identical to the patriot and setups up very quickly. If the tailgate awning is attached it's only a few poles. I would think setting up the main tent and kids room plus both awnings would take maybe 20-25 mins, maybe a little longer if you were putting up all the walls on all the awnings.

I have a bunch of camera gear, once I get mine I will do a video setting it up etc I think