Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260780 times)

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #625 on: November 22, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »
haha yeah well I'm an Isuzu kind of guy until I win lotto and can afford a Landcruiser.  5 minute setup sounds good.  The windup looks easier than climbing over our softfloor to wrestle the tonneau back on!
Mate, Ive dragged my Cub Brumby all over Australia through some pretty rough stuff. The previous owner did as well. It's done a fair few Ks. Only problem it has ever had was the welds on the water tank bash guard breaking (on different occasions). Easily remedied. Can't fault it for the price and ease of setup and packdown. Setup is simple and fast which is great after a long days driving. Sit back and enjoy a beer while you watch other people struggle, tired and emotional, with all that soft floor canvas..... ergh.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby
The following users thanked this post: BrisVegasGolfer

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #626 on: November 22, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »
With my Supamatic Escape  we can pull up & set before the sweat of cold can run down a cold can . 10 mins from road to  :cheers: in the claw . That works  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust
The following users thanked this post: BrisVegasGolfer

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #627 on: November 23, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
With my Supamatic Escape  we can pull up & set before the sweat of cold can run down a cold can . 10 mins from road to  :cheers: in the claw . That works  :cheers:
And isn't it a great feeling? Lol

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline grunf

• Tent User
« Reply #628 on: December 22, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
About time for me to join the CUB Club :)

Bought brand new (December 2017 built) Explorer "X pack".
The "X pack" is something that Melbourne Cub branch do, its basically beefed up Explorer with much friendlier price tag.
"Beefed up" means it has independent suspension, 16 inch wheels, full working kitchen (from 2017 Daintree model) with Smew stove, stainless steel shelf,  sink and pantry, 240V wiring and 100amp battery, charger.

Looking forward to give her a test run in January :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:04:33 PM by grunf »

Offline Jumpcut

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #629 on: December 23, 2017, 08:41:11 PM »
Looks great! Congratulations.   :cheers:
Currently on the Waterfall Way in our Cub Brumby, and after nearly four years still couldn't be happier.  :D
2014 Cub Brumby
2009 Prado Diesel

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #630 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »
Noticed a few weeks ago in my 2016 Cub Brumby that in the fridge compartment, there's one of those white qwick connect plugs at the back, in addition to the merit socket towards the front. Just wondering if this would/could be a secondary plug to plug the fridge into rather than the merit socket?

Not all that confident with the merit connection as the plug from the fridge (EvaKool RF) it doesn't feel secure. Was thinking of replacing the plug with a quick connect for a more secure connection.

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #631 on: February 07, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
Noticed a few weeks ago in my 2016 Cub Brumby that in the fridge compartment, there's one of those white qwick connect plugs at the back, in addition to the merit socket towards the front. Just wondering if this would/could be a secondary plug to plug the fridge into rather than the merit socket?

Not all that confident with the merit connection as the plug from the fridge (EvaKool RF) it doesn't feel secure. Was thinking of replacing the plug with a quick connect for a more secure connection.

If you are going to replace the socket, look at an engel socket (like https://www.baintech.com.au/product-range/product/911-baintech-engel-socket-flush-mount). You should be able to replace the merit socket with it in the same place, and they are a screw in socket, so great reliability.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
If you are going to replace the socket, look at an engel socket (like https://www.baintech.com.au/product-range/product/911-baintech-engel-socket-flush-mount). You should be able to replace the merit socket with it in the same place, and they are a screw in socket, so great reliability.
What he said ^^^^^. Presuming you have an Engel. I replaced mine with an Engel socket, it's done alot of km of corregations, rough bush tracks etc and never encountered a problem.

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
What he said ^^^^^. Presuming you have an Engel. I replaced mine with an Engel socket, it's done alot of km of corregations, rough bush tracks etc and never encountered a problem.

Just realised you don't have an Engel..... sorry

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #634 on: February 07, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Replace with Anderson Plug ,job jobbed !
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #635 on: February 08, 2018, 05:41:02 AM »
That's what made me find the quick connect at the back. I was going to snip off the merits and replace with an Anderson. Was thinking of keeping the existing merit as another 12v access for lights etc and use the quick connect for the fridge.

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #636 on: February 08, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
Just realised you don't have an Engel..... sorry

Just get this too https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/narva-thermoplastic-engel-type-plug. You're going to need to replace the plug no matter what socket the replacement is.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #637 on: February 18, 2018, 07:58:02 PM »
Searching the brains trust,
I have a 2007 Spacematic OFF Road however I think it is the first of the deep sided units made for display and the floor/roof is not checker plate Aluminium that is installed on later models, is it possible to get hold of oversize sheets of aluminium ( camper is 3m x2.2 roughly ) to make a new base or is it a special order only available from Cub.
thanks
Grizzly  :cheers:

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #638 on: February 18, 2018, 10:50:17 PM »
When I was researching repair/replacement of my old 2001 which had fiberglass skin, I could only find people talking about CUB supplying the single piece of Al checker plate, though a few people thought it might be possible to work out where CUB got it from.
It might be worth having a chat to CUB about it, I understand that the old floor/roof was lighter than the aluminium one, the frame and hinge and other stuff might not be up to the extra weight.
I ended up removing and repairing mine, it was a big job.

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #639 on: February 19, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
When I was researching repair/replacement of my old 2001 which had fiberglass skin, I could only find people talking about CUB supplying the single piece of Al checker plate, though a few people thought it might be possible to work out where CUB got it from.
It might be worth having a chat to CUB about it, I understand that the old floor/roof was lighter than the aluminium one, the frame and hinge and other stuff might not be up to the extra weight.
I ended up removing and repairing mine, it was a big job.
Correct about the weight and hinge condition, struts as well.
Cub used to have the sheets specially made to size. Was a little while ago, don't know about now.
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #640 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:21 AM »
Dust has been a worry  getting into the Cub Supermatic Escape . So we have stripped off the soft seal & replaced the whole thing . Including the kitchen & storage doors . The water supply hose to the kitchen had gone black over the years . lt has been replaced as well , only to find the protecting tube is open from the water tank to the inside is open to dust . l have stuffed the opening with sponge & taped up , that should slow the duct down . Hpoefully
lf you have a problem check out the fitting  .                       :cheers:

Offline TheTaylors

• Swag User
  • In for a penny...
« Reply #641 on: April 21, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »
So excited!!  ;D
Just put a deposit down on a 2018 Cub Frontier... :cheers:
Now to wait the 2 months til pick up   :-[
2009 GXL prado and a Red Rock Camper

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #642 on: April 22, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »
So excited!!  ;D

Just watched the vid - they look alright

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #643 on: April 22, 2018, 08:36:14 AM »
So excited!!  ;D
Well worth the wait     :cup: :cup: :cheers:

Offline TheTaylors

• Swag User
  • In for a penny...
« Reply #644 on: April 22, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
Just watched the vid - they look alright

Well, it had what we wanted, love the brand, got what we are happy with for a deal - so it's all good!!

Offline TheTaylors

• Swag User
  • In for a penny...
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
Well worth the wait     :cup: :cup: :cheers:
Yeah, we think so, we just may be cutting it a bit fine with pick up, it's a week before we go to Central Aus for a month.... so hope they are running on time and the assurances we got come through.... ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #646 on: April 22, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
Go forth in Your Cub & Enjoy  , Embrace your new life style in your Cub  .

Turn up , set up , arrange your chairs  with a  :cheers: in the claw in 10 mins .
lf not theres a real problem with your set up .   Practise make a quicker  :cheers:    :cup:

Offline TheTaylors

• Swag User
  • In for a penny...
« Reply #647 on: April 22, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
Go forth in Your Cub & Enjoy  , Embrace your new life style in your Cub  .

Turn up , set up , arrange your chairs  with a  :cheers: in the claw in 10 mins .
lf not theres a real problem with your set up .   Practise make a quicker  :cheers:    :cup:
That is the plan - we saw that happen when we were camping in Coonawarrra... 10 mins for them, over an hour for us... made up our mind then and there!!

Offline Kenneth23763

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #648 on: May 04, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »
Guys

I'm really interested in a mid 2000's Cub with an external kitchen.
The question I have is the differences between the supamatic and the spacematic.
Whilst it is only my wife and me plus a 40kg GSD I would expect my son to borrow it so would need to sleep someone in the floor area.  Whilst I do have a WAECO the idea of a small fridge internally also appeals.

Has anyone owned both and can offer an opinion on is the extra room of the spacematic really worth it?

Regards

Ken

Ken

Paralysis by Analysis.

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #649 on: May 04, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Ken, I've owned a Supamatic and a Spacevan (same floor area as a Spacematic).  The Spacevan/Spacematic are about 50cms longer in the body and the hard floor than the Supamatic.  This might be useful if you're trying to sleep more than two people on the hard floor, otherwise there's no big advantage.  What I loved about the Spacevan was the extra height.  Even with a queen sized inner spring mattress, we could place the kid's bedding on top of ours and still have room to leave the awning zipped on.  This was not possible with the Supamatic.  Cheers.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.