Author Topic: issue with closing Southern Cross Camper Trailer  (Read 1958 times)

Offline brimhunter

• Learning the Ropes
issue with closing Southern Cross Camper Trailer
« on: March 01, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »
Hi All
afraid I don't get on here much but a wealth of info
I have a Southern cross Pacific Pearl Premium camper trailer
have used it a couple of times and am very happy
But the issue I have is when packing up and closing the lid it gets to approx. 6 inches
before closing so I can put the clips on and it is so hard to close the bit I realise im doing something
wrong but cant work out what cant go bac to seller as im in the bush and a bit hard to get there
is there any one who give post instructions what I do is release the poles inside fold down the rear support
then let up front with the winch push in canvas all around but the last 6 inches is so hard
What am I doing wrong?????????????????????
please someone help id appreciate it
Thanks
Brimhunter

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: issue with closing Southern Cross Camper Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 10:39:54 PM »
I got no idea but try YouTube, quite often manufacturers put up videos on putting up and taking down campers.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
Brim hunter do you a have doors and windows all unzipped so air can escape as the canvas folds down?
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 08:16:33 PM »
Think it could be the type of dampers that you have. They're there to stop the cover from coming down to quick and easier  without banging and damaging when setting up. It also makes it harder to get the lid shut by not making it easy to get that little bit more to get them clips on. On the third set on my camper and have the same problem with this set. Easiest option for closing is to get on top to squash it down then clip it closed. Could try a ratchet strap around it.

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 08:06:37 PM »
Our forward fold is the same. The last 10 or so cm is a real bear so we took it back to the manufacturer and they said that the gas struts make it easy to get the bed end up just past vertical whether we're opening or closing it. Once it gets past vertical the struts stop the whole thing coming down with a terrible thump. The bed end of ours is quite heavy with an inner spring mattress. I tried "weaker" struts but that made it a REAL bastard to deal with. Opening it up was beyond us and closing it was nearly impossible. Stronger struts just made it impossible to close.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 06:27:37 AM »
I have a rear fold, but I see on the owners forums a lot of FF owners adding a turning block on the spare wheel carrier so they can use the winch to close them. Might be of assistance?